Melling Oil Pump M316 opinons

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
I have heard some stories of spinning the shaft at cold startup due to such high PSI. Has anyone ever done this with a keyed shaft?

I am looking at switch my pump over to the melling and don't want to run into any problems if I do switch.

Thanks

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Never had an issue with my melling on my first engine. cold startup would hit 90psi at idle until over 100* coolant temp. Idled at 25psi.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I was told mine was keyed. I haven't experienced freak oil pressure like some others have. 25 degree cold start sees 80 psi and comes right down with heat. I can drive around in 80 degree heat for hours and it never drops below 30 psi at idle. I love my melling pump. Bring it up to 1000 rpm after being heat soaked and it makes 50 psi.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I've got a melling on mine now and the oil pressure is very erractic wot. I haven't put a new sending unit on yet to rule that out. But pretty sure that wasn't the case last year with stock oil pump and same sending unit. It's lefty thread no pin just red loctite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I took it to 1 or 2 machine shops trying to get it keyed in a huge hurry. Both guys said there wasn't enough material to really key it. I'm sure I coulda sent it to a good shop but I didn't bother. Now if I woulda found a lefty lock washer I would have done that. But I couldn't find one local

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk