Max stock LLY rpm?

Roc8man

May 8, 2008
I searched and couldn't find any reference to the maximum rpm a stock (internal) LLY can handle with reasonable reliability. Does any one know?

Thanks
David

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
i know someone who has about doubled that.... multiple times :D .......

to answer the question, the limiter kicks on somewhere between 3200 and 3400, dont know the exact number. however, when the allison is in T/H and the grade braking feature comes on, mine has revved as high as 4300 before. i dont know what the max is on that feature, but 4300 is obviously above the 3400 mark.

there you go, muddy enough for you???? :D

Last edited:

Roc8man

May 8, 2008
Thanks for the info. I saw my rpm go well above 3400 during a grade decent while pulling my toy hailer and worried about it. It looks like I was ok.

So the next question is: What about under high power (like drag racing)? I assume the tranny ECM control it between shifts and the engine controls it once you can't shift into an higher gear.

1FastMax

Cronic Smoker
Feb 27, 2007
I have seen a max of 4600 rpms grade braking coming off of grocer grade on 166 in Kern County, Cali. I have my shift point raised to 3800rpms goin into 5th. Thats as far as i am willing to spin it with stock valve train.

whitetrash21

Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
the one going to the egr cooler^^^.... just to clarify:D.... and yes, a 1" line pressurized by a motor spinning 4800 will empty your cooling system.... FAST!!!:rofl:

whitetrash21

Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
i was under the impression it was the line that came off of here. thaqt is the egr line, no?? :confused: ....

i could be wrong, it was dark.... :D

Last edited:

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
i was under the impression it was the line that came off of here. thaqt is the egr line, no?? :confused: ....

i could be wrong, it was dark.... :D

hahaha, you're right, what do I know, I was inside the cab..."start it" ok, "oh shit, shut it off"......."ok start it again"......"whoa, shut it off"......:rofl:

whitetrash21

Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
hahaha, you're right, what do I know, I was inside the cab..."start it" ok, "oh shit, shut it off"......."ok start it again"......"whoa, shut it off"......:rofl:

dude, i just spewed gatorade all over the keyboard .... :D:rofl: ..... that was fk'in hysterical......................and true. :D

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
dude, i just spewed gatorade all over the keyboard .... :D:rofl: ..... that was fk'in hysterical......................and true. :D

haha, not to mention the 8-10 ricers that had surrounded us. "lets go racin" braaappp...Braaappp....:bee noises: while were dumping coolant all over the parking lot, lol.

whitetrash21

Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
...and the cop 2 minutes later.... :D ... that was an entertaining night. i still have nightmares about flyin out of truck windows occasionally..... :rofl: