LBZ: MAP Sensor code?

LBZFireMan

Apr 16, 2016
North Carolina
Hey, I have a 2006 LBZ 2500(Banks six-gun with speedloader and iQ, 5" straight pipe). It started throwing a MAP sensor code about a month ago. I replaced the MAP sensor which ended up only being a bandaid. It still throws the same code and will occasionally throw a MAF sensor code as well. A couple days ago I finally replaced the MAF sensor and it didn't change anything except I haven't seen the MAF sensor code again...yet. The MAP sensor code will only be thrown if the truck is at idle. Driving at any speed and also barely revving the engine will keep it from throwing the code. Could this be a baro sensor problem? Intake gasket? It has 270k miles on it.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
You need to post up the actual code numbers. There are numerous codes that can set for the MAP/MAF sensor. That will help us out a lot.

LBZFireMan

Apr 16, 2016
North Carolina
Sorry, P0106 is the one that keeps getting thrown. I cant remember the other 2 off the top of my head. I'll see if I can find where I wrote them down at

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
That is a MAP sensor performance code. The ECM compares the pressure readings between the MAP sensor and the BARO sensor with the key on/engine off. The pressures should be the same since the engine isn't running and the turbo isn't building boost. The code sets when the two pressures don't correlate. Possible that the BARO sensor is skewed and not reading correctly. The other two codes may be the final help. Access to a scanner that can show MAP and BARO pressures would help as well.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Crap. Forgot your's is an LBZ. The BARO sensor is located in the ECM. Something is more than likely going on with the MAP sensor wiring.

LBZFireMan

Apr 16, 2016
North Carolina
So I just went and checked my iQ history and it jogged my memory a little. There was a code 13 and code 14 on my tuner diagnostics and then on my vehicle diagnostics was P0106, P0237(only saw once after my truck sat a few days), and I think the MAF sensor was P0101 but I'm not 100% sure.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
P0101 is not neccesarily a maf code, it is a maf performance code meaning actual airflow does not match desired. Theres several things that can cause it ranging from boost leak, map sensor reading of making it think boost isn't what it actually is, altitude sensor in the ECM, an altered air intake that flows differently, even an aftermarket air filter can cause it. As to your map code, start by checking your wiring and diagnosing the issue. All that normally gets accomplished from throwing parts at a problem is wasted money, and a really upset owner who ends up calling the truck a POS.

LBZFireMan

Apr 16, 2016
North Carolina
You mentioned boost. I just saw P0299 tonight for the 2nd time, along with P0106, since this whole issue started but I still didn't see any issues with performance other than going into limp mode which is easily fixed by clearing the codes. I'm going to take a look at the wiring tomorrow at work since I didn't get a chance to today.

LBZFireMan

Apr 16, 2016
North Carolina
I took a look at everything and all the wires look fine. No cuts, no dry-rot, nothing loose. After talking to a friend, I bought some electrical cleaner yesterday and cleaned all of the harness' and that has made a huge difference. None of the codes have been thrown again yet so I'm hoping that was all it needed. Thanks for all the input everyone! Please let me know about any other suggestions you may have

prostreeter600

Street rodder
Jul 18, 2010
Dallas Tx
Did you ever get this resolved ? I'm having the same code come up on mine and wondered if you just cleaned the connections or what in fact resolved your problem

LBZFireMan

Apr 16, 2016
North Carolina
Yes, I haven't had the codes thrown since April. I used some electrical cleaner initially on the sensors and it helped but it was only a temporary fix for me. I ended up replacing the MAP and MAF sensors, both. I think my truck had to get used to the parameters on the new sensors so the codes that were being thrown after I replaced them were false codes

tjktmracer

Aug 3, 2016
I had a code p0101 this morning while my truck was warming up. I just put a new AFE cold air intake on this past weekend. Run good until this morning. Plugged in a scanner to check the code, mass air flow . I seen someone post something about resetting the ECM . How is that done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I had a code p0101 this morning while my truck was warming up. I just put a new AFE cold air intake on this past weekend. Run good until this morning. Plugged in a scanner to check the code, mass air flow . I seen someone post something about resetting the ECM . How is that done?

P0101 is not a direct MAF code, it means the airflow is outside the expected range. It often sets with aftermarket intakes as they change the expected airflow. Some trucks set it more often than others. Without knowing what you have, whats been done, and so on, were all guessing as to why it set other than you added in an intake.

tjktmracer

Aug 3, 2016
I've got a 08 GMC duramax with the 6.6 turbo diesel. It's completely shock other then the cold air intake I just put on. Any help nearing down this issue?

tjktmracer

Aug 3, 2016
I cleaned the MAF sensor with some MAF sensor cleaner today. Let it dry for hours then put it back in. Soon as I started my truck the p0101code came back. If I let it idle more then two minutes the code comes back. If I start it and go no codes. I'm stuck with the intake. No returns of course. So I would like to keep using the intake without it throwing codes every morning. I'm thinking about unhooking the batteries for 15min to see if the system would reset its self. Anyone have more knowledge on this?

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I cleaned the MAF sensor with some MAF sensor cleaner today. Let it dry for hours then put it back in. Soon as I started my truck the p0101code came back. If I let it idle more then two minutes the code comes back. If I start it and go no codes. I'm stuck with the intake. No returns of course. So I would like to keep using the intake without it throwing codes every morning. I'm thinking about unhooking the batteries for 15min to see if the system would reset its self. Anyone have more knowledge on this?

Put a scanner on it, and see what the actual MAF flow is VS desired so you can see if it's reading high or low. Also make CERTAIN you got the right intake as some people have put LLY intakes on LBZ's and vice versa and get the P0101 code because it throws the reading off due to the different sized intake tube.

tjktmracer

Aug 3, 2016
I'll call AFE 1st thing Monday morning. On line saids it's the correct intake. But how knows other then AFE. Thanks for your help, I'll let report back later

tjktmracer

Aug 3, 2016
Junked the AFE cold air intake, got the shock intake in and no more codes! But now I had a clean exhaust filter light come on. Anyone had this issue yet?