manual trans diesel record "build"

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
So i did a dig launch today, added a centerlink brace and had to test it out. Did a 42 to 4300 rpm 4x4 launch in 3rd. Bogged to just under 3000 rpm and ripped fast af off the line. Launched very well with no laggey big single characteristics other than alot of top end.

On a side note I didn't do a rev limiter launch, but when I got it back to the shop I was curious to see if it would build boost on the rev limiter so I tried it and it jumps to 10 pounds instantly and after it bounces a few times it works up to about 12 pounds. So i don't think coming off the line will be an issue at all except maybe for traction.

Last edited:

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
So i did a dig launch today, added a centerlink brace and had to test it out. Did a 42 to 4300 rpm 4x4 launch in 3rd. Bogged to just under 3000 rpm and ripped fast af off the line. Launched very well with no laggey big single characteristics other than alot of top end.

On a side note I didn't do a rev limiter launch, but when I got it back to the shop I was curious to see if it would build boost on the rev limiter so I tried it and it jumps to 10 pounds instantly and after it bounces a few times it works up to about 12 pounds. So i don't think coming off the line will be an issue at all except maybe for traction.

What's your rev limiter set at?

Sounds like an absolute blast to drive! At that rpm do you simply "side step" the clutch pedal? Or do you try to feather it at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

Makes me want a zf6 truck to hammer on, that's cool!!

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
mark said he set it at 4400, but it reads 4500 or slightly over on the tach wich maybe not right exactly. I just dump it at that rpm yes but the clutch seems to take it well. I'm sure the clutch slips a little and the engine bogs a little but there's a good balance between the two that helps it get off the line. I've tried feathering it and it always bogs and smells like clutch afterwards lol. This is the most fun thing I've ever ridden in or driven. We tried to take a video today but it didn't work out like we planned lol. This truck is definitely gonna hurt some feelings saturday.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Don't share all your secretes. That way if you do get the crown people don't have your tricks.

I've thought that but when you have a stick you gotta do more than copy someone's setup, that's what I love About them. You got to out drive me to:cool2:

Honestly if i get the record and someone else gets it good, we will be closer to a 10 second zf6. There's a van on that list so Its kind of embarrassing that there's not a stick on there also:D

Stancedlb7

Cummin Stroke this Duramax
Feb 9, 2015
SLC, UTAH
mark said he set it at 4400, but it reads 4500 or slightly over on the tach wich maybe not right exactly. I just dump it at that rpm yes but the clutch seems to take it well. I'm sure the clutch slips a little and the engine bogs a little but there's a good balance between the two that helps it get off the line. I've tried feathering it and it always bogs and smells like clutch afterwards lol. This is the most fun thing I've ever ridden in or driven. We tried to take a video today but it didn't work out like we planned lol. This truck is definitely gonna hurt some feelings saturday.

Im sure what you are feeling is the springs, in the clutch, absorbing alot of the blow. But Im sure with some slicks and spray you'll be damn close to 10 sec territory.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Im sure what you are feeling is the springs, in the clutch, absorbing alot of the blow. But Im sure with some slicks and spray you'll be damn close to 10 sec territory.

Yeah i am still sprung hubs, I can't say what territory I'm in. I've never been in anything like this. Definitely runs though. Gonna weigh it saturday on a certified cat scale on the way to the track.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Good luck man! I can't wait to see what it does. Always cool to see something unique like this.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
:)
Good luck man! I can't wait to see what it does. Always cool to see something unique like this.

Thanks man, I loved putting this one together after a 2 week scramble we got it done. I think it's gonna be a heart breaker!