Question: Main Injection vs. Main Injection (No Pilot)

WisconsinHick1

Mar 11, 2009
Minnesota
Alright so as I have been working on a few tunes here and there for my truck I noticed that the "main injection" has higher values then "Main Injection (No Pilot)".

Does the main injection with pilot include the pilot cycle? Is this why it has higher values then main injection no pilot?

Just a little curious if I should be bringing the main injection no pilot above the main injection or not?

dansdieselp

Diesel Tuner
Apr 3, 2009
Marengo, IL
Main injection has less pulse cause it is accompanied by pilot. When pilot drops off you just have one main shot. That's why main with out pilot has a slightly bigger pulse to compensate for the loss of fuel from pilot.

WisconsinHick1

Mar 11, 2009
Minnesota
So what I have been doing is increasing both tables at the same %. This way main injection remains slightly higher then main injection no pilot.

Is that the correct way to continue?

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
So what I have been doing is increasing both tables at the same %. This way main injection remains slightly higher then main injection no pilot.

Is that the correct way to continue?

i have always made my main pilot and no pilot the same...

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
i have always made my main pilot and no pilot the same...

This can have adverse reactions sometimes. I know when I shut pilot off on mine, I had to change the table with pilot to the same as the one without pilot to make it idle right. You also have to keep in mind the table with pilot also accounts for coil saturation of the injector coil. There is such a short time difference between the 2 shots that it takes less lag time when pilot is active.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
i just run 3300 uS on both tables... i have had "big name" tuners tune my truck before and they did the same thing

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
The only issues I ran into were fueling in the lower below 30MM3 of fuel areas. I set them to the same in the upper end, but keep the tables different in the pilot areas.

WisconsinHick1

Mar 11, 2009
Minnesota
The only issues I ran into were fueling in the lower below 30MM3 of fuel areas. I set them to the same in the upper end, but keep the tables different in the pilot areas.

I normally dont touch anything below 50mm3 so the low end stays smooth and is still streetable and increase from there.

Last edited: