Lowest Straight axle swap

DIGGLER

Feb 6, 2011
SC
Who says the truck will ride worse? I would bet money a coilover Sas can ride as good or better than a Ifs truck. Leaf spring Hmm probably not.

I had a leaf spring Sas & just sold it. I got bit by the drag racing bug and 8" of lift and 38" tires don't make a truck faster at the track. I still have dana 60 set up for coilovers sitting behind the garage.

If you lift your Ifs, I can almost say with certainty at some point you will want to do a Sas... If you run a low rider not much point is there.

I think the ops truck is doing pretty well...
if you are running a big lift, i can understand a straight axle since lifting an ifs like that will point the control arms straight down and they wont operate like a control arm anymore. im assuming it causes problems with cv axles also. but this thread is about the lowest sas..... and pretty much any truck i've ridden in with a straight axle up front rode a little more harsh than the ifs.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
if you are running a big lift, i can understand a straight axle since lifting an ifs like that will point the control arms straight down and they wont operate like a control arm anymore. im assuming it causes problems with cv axles also. but this thread is about the lowest sas..... and pretty much any truck i've ridden in with a straight axle up front rode a little more harsh than the ifs.

True, but my truck with just the torsion bars turned up rides like crap. Once you pick the frame off of the rubber snubber on the lower control arm, they get pretty bouncy. You need some differen't shocks. I personally like a little stiffer ride, & the older Superdutys with stock leaf springs didn't ride that bad. I think the sas has it's place, lot's of people don't...

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
springs and brakettery will determine suspension lift..
this is from ORD for then 88-98 body style... sure some one with fab skills could work something off these. can be design to work with 2.5 or 3" wide springs... use the stock GM 1 ton 3 leaf 47" and its 3" on top of that.
http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/88-98SolidAxleConversion.htm
88-98%20Solid%20axle%20swap.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

Front%20hangers.jpg

smkndmax05

"Smoked Out"
Feb 17, 2011
Indiana
True, but my truck with just the torsion bars turned up rides like crap. Once you pick the frame off of the rubber snubber on the lower control arm, they get pretty bouncy. You need some differen't shocks. I personally like a little stiffer ride, & the older Superdutys with stock leaf springs didn't ride that bad. I think the sas has it's place, lot's of people don't...

I think I ride as good or better than a truck with the bars up!!! Here is a link for my truck at the ORP in Indy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEYwchh3t_U&feature=youtube_gdata_player

adrenaholc1

Apr 5, 2011
Butler Co. OHIO
I don't think I've said it before, but if I have I'll for sure say it again. Your truck is bad ass. I've had a handfull of pre 86 yotas and am definitely a solid axle fan when it comes to travel and articulation.:thumb:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I like a straight axle till i go play in the desert, then it beats ya up. Out here, money for money, ifs still wins but if i were back east, straight axle all the way

DIGGLER

Feb 6, 2011
SC
I like a straight axle till i go play in the desert, then it beats ya up. Out here, money for money, ifs still wins but if i were back east, straight axle all the way
reminds me of the lifted dodge with 40" tires i had awhile back... previous owner had taken it off some sweet jumps and the front axle had some extra camber in it. lol

Jun 22, 2008
Nebraska
Does anyone have pic's of a low SAS with coilovers? I'm probably going to start one this winter on my 01 and need some pic's and dimentions of the links. I'd just tired of fixing and alligning IFS and we have a CNC Plasma table so no big deal.

AWFUL

Dec 28, 2011
Idaho
snow fighter

1979 F250 dana 60 snow fighter axle and I'm ready.

Attachments

• 79f250.jpg
    79f250.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 122

HEEPJEEP

<--- Solid Axle "Leveled"
Mar 26, 2009
NH
Does anyone have pic's of a low SAS with coilovers? I'm probably going to start one this winter on my 01 and need some pic's and dimentions of the links. I'd just tired of fixing and alligning IFS and we have a CNC Plasma table so no big deal.

I'm set at 2" lift with coil overs right now. I have tried posting pictures on a few sites but they typically get the thread delete or me banned... Mods assume I'm trying to pimp my product. FWIW, if you are mocking up on another frame you probably should have a Duramax engine, down pipe, tranny lines, drive shaft, oil filter, motor mounts, etc in place. I can tell you that my stuff is a very tight fit.

kivetts04dmax

May 20, 2010
Boonville, MO/Pendleton, CA
I'm set at 2" lift with coil overs right now. I have tried posting pictures on a few sites but they typically get the thread delete or me banned... Mods assume I'm trying to pimp my product. FWIW, if you are mocking up on another frame you probably should have a Duramax engine, down pipe, tranny lines, drive shaft, oil filter, motor mounts, etc in place. I can tell you that my stuff is a very tight fit.

well I'm not gonna ban you from my email if you care to send them to me? [email protected] did you make it yourself or what kit is it?

HEEPJEEP

<--- Solid Axle "Leveled"
Mar 26, 2009
NH
well I'm not gonna ban you from my email if you care to send them to me? [email protected] did you make it yourself or what kit is it?

Designed/R&D/fab done "in house" and cut out on a CNC table (have a 5'x10' table). I will have to go get some pics to send as I lost all the build pics and the "brand new finished" pics to a garage fire the computer was in... Not as shiney as it was now, but you will get the idea.

My avatar pic is the truck (rear is stock height), and some tiny 225/70R16's or something like that. What ever they were they were significantly smaller than stock. That's about 10 mins after I pulled it out of the garage for the first ride, fueling the truck up. Ended up lowering it about 2" in the front from that height (adjusted the coil overs down). That's on 12" stroke/travel coil overs too. Tight fit, but it's all in there.

Jun 22, 2008
Nebraska
PM me and I'll have you e-mail them to me.