LLY: Loosing Coolant Somewhere

[email protected]

cmitchell17
Sep 8, 2008
Yesterday I noticed my low coolant light came on. So I filled it up with about 2 glasses water. That same day it came on again, but I could not find where it was leaking, there was none leaking on the ground and I couldnt smell any.

I was worrying it might be head gaskets becuase I can crawl under the truck on the passenger side and see in between the block and head has a oil stain, but it dosent smell like coolant.

So I went out there today after driving and noticed it is dripping pretty good. So I put a bucket under it and it leaked out about 1/8-1/2inch and now after about 2 or 3 hours its slowed down to no leak. I will try to get a picture but it looks like its coming from somewhere around where the radiator hose comes out of the engine. Also I can see where it has made a trail on this black tube below the drivers side exhuast manifold. (Is this part of the egr?)

So im thinking it might be the water pump? But I can't find the weep hole to see if that is where it is coming from. But I am still worried I might have a head gasket problem after seeing the oil stain in between the block and the heads?

The truck has 135k, 350-500rw tune running about 26-30psi with 2000us-3000us and 22-27 degrees timing since I bought it at 120k. I don't no the life the truck had before that but it was a completly stock LLY, so it may have been overheated?

btw, the radiator hose is not pressurized in the moring but it is collaped when cold so I put a new cap on it.

[email protected]

cmitchell17
Sep 8, 2008
Ok, so I found it is coming from the weep hole. I cranked it up and poked the weep hole with a wire and it started running down it.

So I guess its time for a water pump, but the leak inbetween the head and the block still has me worried? On the passenger side you can see a black stain all along the seal? Is this just something from higher miles or has a head gasket completely failed?

[email protected]

cmitchell17
Sep 8, 2008
Is this a head gasket or a valve cover gasket?

IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0234.jpg

IMG_0234.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

Last edited:

RKTMech

Idiot with a wrench
Aug 18, 2008
The Norco's
Odds are a water pump for the coolant leak and i would look close at the rear egr cooler gasket for your oil leak, you might need to remove the turbo down pipe and right hand up pipe to get a good visiual. Great pics by the way.

[email protected]

cmitchell17
Sep 8, 2008
Ok thanks for the help. I can actually see something leaking on the egr. Its where the electrical connector connects to that black thing. But it looks like the leak in the pictures looks like its coming from the motor. I can wipe my finger on it and its black but dosent smell anything like coolant, looks like oil.

Ive heard people have had this leak since day one. I thought the LLYs had the head gasket problem fixed.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
The black tube under the driver's side exhaust manifold is the water pump outlet pipe that goes between the water pump and the oil cooler. Coolant then flows from the cooler into the flywheel housing and into the back of the block.

The oil on the passengers side, I'm wondering if it may be leaking from the front of the motor and blowing back along the block/head seam. Looking at the oil stain on the exhaust manifold heat shield, I would be surprised if the oil is coming from the head gasket.

[email protected]

cmitchell17
Sep 8, 2008
Ok thanks that makes me feel a lot better. When I go to put in the water pump im sure I will find out a lot more. Where do you think it could be coming from the front of the motor. Its wierd it looks like its coming staight from in between the head and the block.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
When the fan kicks in it blows a lot of air, and it doesn't take much oil to look like a lot. It looks like there is quite a bit of oil running down the block around the motor mount. The oil is probably coming from somewhere in front of that. I seriously doubt the oil is traveling forward on the block. Looks like there is some oil on the exhaust manifold right above the motor mount. Could be running out the valve cover and down the head right in front of that exhaust port then traveling down and rearward on the block. I'd be surprised if it's a head gasket issue.