LMM: Looking for trans/turbo advice from better heads than mine.

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
Hey all,

Bought my LMM in march after a short stint with a '15 LML. Love the truck, have added pretty much every bolt on and i'm ready to start getting into the nitty gritty. The problem is no matter how much research and forum reading I do, i'm still a laymen as far as experience and how things mesh with each other. Additionally, most people on most forums tend to talk out there ass. I joined here after realizing most of the more knowledgeable dmax people are members here, knowing eventually id be writing this post. Would love to pick some of your brains as to what to plan for. I won't be doing a full engine build all at once, which is why I think proper planning/parts selections are important to get right.

My truck is a DD truck, that sees towing every other weekend or so and hangs a plow in the snow season and off roads down hunting/access roads and on the beach. While my truck doesn't work for a living, my goal is to keep reliability and ruggedness and workability. I bought this truck for it's capabilities and don't want to spend money reducing what it's able to do. At the same time this isn't a competition truck, and outside a few possible dragstrips it won't see hard competition use. I am, and will always be a very aggressive driver. I like going fast, I like driving.

As of now I have EFIlive from kory w/ dsp5, flo pro 4", new lube/filters throughout, built front end, CAI, egr delete with race pipe and performance up-pipe, profab downpipe, hsp 3" hotside tube, PPE boots/clamps, new brakes x4, new shocks x4 and an edge cts2. Have a bunch more done but those are the main power friendly mods.

I would like to use Evan at limitless to build the trans.

what are the best matching turbo options?

I have very limited knowledge about turbos, but always happy to learn. I would prefer to stick with a single due to the extra cost of twins and I do not care if it is variable or fixed, I only want it to work both well and for a long time. If the info above is good enough to make recommendations, I'd love a couple options to look at; but more importantly the reasons why that turbo is a good choice and how it relates to which transmission option.

As of now, my actual plan is to hire Evan, and follow it up with a turbo when time/money allows, which could be a year or more from the trans build.

Thanks all

Last edited:

Hernpj01

On a Time Out
Sep 23, 2014
Indiana
i have one of Evans trans with his 1078 converter paired with a danville 68mm stg2r. I have no complaints it would do everything you have asked and more when you hit the pedal! Marl from danville tuned the truck, and if you get a danville charger i would highly recommend him.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
You're saving two grand to gamble. You won't ever put it together like Evan will. And then you're paying twice when something happens after you build the motor.

Go see him get it built and put a 68stg2r on it with Danville tuning.

After the built motor twin over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
Thanks for the input. I went with kory for tunes based on his forum fanfare and his reputation. At the time I didn't realize an autocal would lock me into his tunes. I assume he's still considered a top notch option after trans and turbo? I would rather not have to pay extra to switch tuners.

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
You're saving two grand to gamble. You won't ever put it together like Evan will. And then you're paying twice when something happens after you build the motor.

Go see him get it built and put a 68stg2r on it with Danville tuning.

After the built motor twin over it.

Thanks for the input. Sorry, to clarify it would not be a self build, but a trans all ready to be installed and then ship back my core. I am fully aware I would butcher the internals of the allison ;).

Thats two votes for the danville so i'll be reading up on it tonight!

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
Other than it's mark's tuning on his turbo, would kory not be able to tune it to a comparable effect? I have no problems switching to mark for tuning if it's the right move, it's why I asked after all. I guess I'm the type that likes more info, and so I am driven to ask why that switch of tuners is recommended.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Thanks for the input. Sorry, to clarify it would not be a self build, but a trans all ready to be installed and then ship back my core. I am fully aware I would butcher the internals of the allison ;).

Thats two votes for the danville so i'll be reading up on it tonight!

You're forgetting the cost of a torque converter

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
Thanks for the link.

Arek, you're right, thats embarrassing. I was looking at pricing in my phone and must have missed that giant piece of important info lmao. Well, that just makes it a simple choice to go with Evan. For future posters, since trans is decided on lets just stick with turbo advice :) thanks again

aklbz

Jan 8, 2015
I highly recommended Mark (Danville Performance) also. It makes sense to runs his tuning with his charger, seems like he would know it best. Maybe you can sell your Autocal and get some money back out of it.

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
What kind of horsepower do you want to make. In all honesty the 3794 stg2 (Danville turbo) will make more than your motor will want. The 68stg2r (Danville turbo) will make more than the 3794. Those would be my 2 options for a single. And I'd use mark from Danville for tuning. If that is the route you go tell Evan so he can put one of his in house converters in the tranmission.

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
Thanks rigger. I had kind of assumed he'd be using his in house regardless, so good to know. I can ask him when we meet, only a couple text messages thus far, but in your opinion will running his in house converter on a stock turbo be fine?

As far as power, I don't care about specific numbers much, not trying to make weight or anything, just unlock some potential that's held back by some of the remaining stock equipment. This thing is a beast already and im relatively unconcerned with numbers vs how the truck drives, feels and ages. I want a shit eating grin every time I throttle down. I'm a seat of the pants guy, so if the turbo lights appropriately and the transmission holds and shifts well it won't matter if i'm sitting at either 550 or 600 or anywhere in between. My goals do not include a full engine build until it needs a rebuild, i'm hoping I can get away with headstuds only for a few years or 150kish miles, is that realistic?

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
Haha, Evan I posted here so i didn't blow up your phone and here you still are. Thanks for chiming in.

It did NOT include the converter, my bad on that earlier. Ill go back and edit it.

How far out are you on appointments? I'm ready to roll as long as you take plastic.

Any contributions as far as what I should be looking at? IE Turbo's and pairings with what build etc. How about your in house converter running with a stock charger for a year ish?

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Well considering I jumped the spot you said it's an lmm I'd go with the 68stg2r so you don't have to mess with a potential boost issue that the lmm sometimes got with the 3794. Evan is the one to ask about converters but it'll make his decision easier if you know what turbo or hp setup your after.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Let Even build your trans and get a port and polished lly turbo from yellowchevy. When I do another lmm or lbz this is the route I'm headed. The tuning is easy with the lly charger and they will make more power than the stock internals can handle. Plus, drivabilty is like stock, with any 68mm there is considerable turbo lag and turbo brake is nonexistent and egts go higher...