Looking at a dmax

cv0lv0g0

Oct 21, 2013
Hello, I'm from West Virginia I have been considering a 2500HD for a new to me truck. I come from the world of cummins and powerstroke. Not only is the engine new to me so is the concept of an independent front end. Today after school I want to try and get out and test drive a 6.6 for feel. But I've came onto this forum to read about the different years. Problems, performance, room to build and expense Of building a dura max.

bigboytoy426

Jun 30, 2012
grand rapids michigan
I would personally stay away from lb7's but I may have just had bad luck with the two I had. Lb7s have a 1 for the 8th digit in the vin. I love my lbz(07). Only thing I miss from my lb7 is gas mileage. Couldn't believe how much it dropped buying a lbz

cv0lv0g0

Oct 21, 2013
I was actually looking at lb7s I found a 2001 gmc 4 door short bed online. I was kinda scared away from the lly because of the none waste gated turbo and not having a computer to relieve pressure. The newer years are abit out of my price range unless I find a deal or if I sell my 39 Chevy.

Which I may actually do since I have no idea I will be for the next 4 years. I leave for Paris island June 9th.

Aug 3, 2013
Arizona
I would personally stay away from lb7's but I may have just had bad luck with the two I had. Lb7s have a 1 for the 8th digit in the vin. I love my lbz(07). Only thing I miss from my lb7 is gas mileage. Couldn't believe how much it dropped buying a lbz

Woahhhhhh there buddy!! WATCH WHAT YOU SAY!

Aug 3, 2013
Arizona
I was actually looking at lb7s I found a 2001 gmc 4 door short bed online. I was kinda scared away from the lly because of the none waste gated turbo and not having a computer to relieve pressure. The newer years are abit out of my price range unless I find a deal or if I sell my 39 Chevy.

Which I may actually do since I have no idea I will be for the next 4 years. I leave for Paris island June 9th.

You'l love Paris island, its a really pretty area and the sand fleas are a big ass joke..

cv0lv0g0

Oct 21, 2013
What was wrong with lb7s? I saw some things about injector failure. Are there hybrid injectors like powerstroke where you can switch between 40% over stock to stock?

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state

i lost the block (cracked mains 2, 3, 4 and crank) because of the injectors failing in my 02 lb7

IDK if you NEED a fully loaded CC truck i picked up a 07.5 RCLB dually 4X4 LS for 18k with 97k on it

if you havent bought one WAIT till you complete boot camp and at your first post and collect you sign on bonous if you get one..

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
What was wrong with lb7s? I saw some things about injector failure. Are there hybrid injectors like powerstroke where you can switch between 40% over stock to stock?

the injector bodys crack and since they are fully incased in the engine the dump the fuel into the oil, LLY and newer are all external from the inside of the engine

injector failing is hit/miss on how many miles they last seen service life reports from 10k to 150k

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006

Personally I would only go with 04.5 and newer just from an injector stand point. FYI I would say the VVT turbos last just as long in not longer than the IHI turbo.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
I have an lly now (05) but started with an lb7 (02). I wouldn't shy away from an lb7, if you're good with a wrench the injectors aren't THAT big of a deal. Yes they're harder than others but changing them is not brain surgery. Other years are not immune to injector issues either. Granted they're not as common and are easier to change. My 05 needs at least one at less than 150k miles. Their longevity really depends a lot on the quality of fuel used in the truck. I just did all 8 in an 02 lb7 over the weekend for a friend who inherited the truck from her late father. It sat for a couple months and when she started driving it it started making oil. I'm driving the truck to work for a few days to work out anymore kinks, the milage difference is impressive. My 05 gets 18mpg if the wind blows right and I am very very nice to it :rofl: That 02 is getting every bit of 20mpg and I ran it pretty hard. My old 02 was the same way. Driving that truck really makes me miss my old lb7

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Well I'm very good a turning a wrench. I was Afraid of block cracking more than everything.

Duramax blocks are definitely not known for cracking... sure some have but in most cases they have been pushed very hard.