Lockup controler ??

2wpuller

old sckool
Mar 22, 2011
Washington,Mo
1.I did a swap using a 06 allison 6sp out of a duramax I have it behind a 6.0 Perkins diesel also using the BCM.I have the Tapshift.I have in the truck and running.It shifts in all 6 gears and tapshift works and not sure if T/H works because the lockup will not workusing the duramax TCM MaxPF said I need a 8.1 gasser TCM for this setup to work correctly.But I can't locate a 8.1 TCM enyplace Going to the GM dealer to see if they will reflash my diesel TCM.But I would like to know if the controler will work first with the 8.1 TCM
My ? is if the 8.1 TCM dosn't work. Will the lockup contoler work with the 8.1 TCM.
2. Ben will I beable to just buy a lockup controler and a gear select display for the 6sp I have no display to go by.
I have sent meny emails and have you on speed for the past week in a half.

Dale

2wpuller

old sckool
Mar 22, 2011
Washington,Mo
Good news Ben, the 8.1 tcm it worked :happy2: now just have to fine tune the trans for my motor.I will keep you updated.

thanks again :thumb:

Dale

z79outlaw

Apr 20, 2007
Salem WI
any problems with it shifting under full power, are you worried about any longevity issues with the Allison with no defuel?

2wpuller

old sckool
Mar 22, 2011
Washington,Mo
The 8.1 don't refuel it is disabled in the tcm.Tomorrow night going reset shift setting lower for my motor.It doesn't turn the rpms the V8 do.my Perkins is high tq at 1600 I

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
The 8.1 don't refuel it is disabled in the tcm.Tomorrow night going reset shift setting lower for my motor.It doesn't turn the rpms the V8 do.my Perkins is high tq at 1600 I

The 8.1L does defuel, it is just under a different parmaeter as the 06 8.1L GEN IV TCM still used old school data protocols.

2wpuller

old sckool
Mar 22, 2011
Washington,Mo
Don't have any problems with full fuel shifts sofore.The problem I have at the moment is the down shifts with 5th to 4th and 4th to 3rd hitting very hard.This only happens while off the throttle coasting to a stop.Going to do some more with EFI tomorrow.1,2,3,shifts are mildly firm 3 to 4 very firm 4th to 5th very firm and into 6th smooth.Down shifting passing are kicking down going up hills very good no harshness.

Dale

2wpuller

old sckool
Mar 22, 2011
Washington,Mo
Just a update shifts are getting smoother every day 5th still hits fairly hard yet.only once in a while down shifts hit a little hard.all in all I.m happy with the way this swap is going.haven't had time to find out why TH isn't working.

Dale

2wpuller

old sckool
Mar 22, 2011
Washington,Mo
Update the problem with the 4 to 3 closed throttle downshift sometimes some of the upshifts in all gears.everyone had me convinced that it was my tuning.I tried a medium Duty tcm and it did the same problems.I came to the conclusion it was the VB.tried a stock one out of another trans.night and day difference every shift up and down was great.We took my VB apart found that the syl.A shiftkit the little ball wasn't in the correct spot.fixed it now all great.The shiftkit does make a difference in the firmness in shifting and closed throttle downshift.
Thank Ben for your help with the 8.1 tcm
have you thought about still making a gear selctor display for the 6sp.

Dale

2wpuller

old sckool
Mar 22, 2011
Washington,Mo
Ben can you get a hold of me I need to know if you will be able to flash some more TCM's for me.Tried to Email not got eny responses.
Do I need to have the bcm flashed for the 8.1 for TH.
thanks
Dale