Load dyno or Inertia dyno

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
I am needing to do some turbo testing with my pickup so I'm trying to find a dyno in the Kansas city area.

One place I talked to mainly does high performance car and said I want a load dyno but they can't handle over 1,000 ft/lbs. Another company told me they do diesel's often and use an inertia dyno jet. He informed me he just did an LBZ that an exhaust, intake, PPE on level 4 or 5 and it did 433hp-806ft/lbs.

Do these numbers seem legit and they know what they're doing?
Do I need a load dyno over an inertia dyno?
Is there anybody in the Kansas City area that could direct me to place they've been that's good?

I know there's a guy in Lawrence that has a dyno but haven't heard very good things about him from others.

I'll be doing quite a few runs so I'd prefer to not travel super far but I want accurate numbers.

Thanks in advance,
Yellowchevy

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
I've been trying to get back on johns dyno for two years. He does a good job and I believe his numbers are fairly accurate. He's a great guy and will go above and beyond to help someone IF you can get a hold of him. His phones are off, no email, hell I've even stopped by his shop 3 or 4 times and each time I "just misses him". I would like to find another load dyno close but havnt had any luck.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
I was almost positive that was the case but I had to ask to be sure.

plowboy_LBZ
Where's John at? Lee's Summoit?

I know Rick was telling me there was a guy in Lee's summit if I remember right and he shut his doors.

Thanks for your guys help. Back to the drawing board.

Yellowchevy

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
I was almost positive that was the case but I had to ask to be sure.

plowboy_LBZ
Where's John at? Lee's Summoit?

I know Rick was telling me there was a guy in Lee's summit if I remember right and he shut his doors.

Thanks for your guys help. Back to the drawing board.

Yellowchevy

He's south of Lawrence out in the country. Almost to Baldwin. I have his address if you like. Next time I'm by there I plan on stoping in. Maybe by some dumb luck he'll be there. I've heard that he shut his doors and quit building pumps due to being burnt out.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
He's south of Lawrence out in the country. Almost to Baldwin. I have his address if you like. Next time I'm by there I plan on stoping in. Maybe by some dumb luck he'll be there. I've heard that he shut his doors and quit building pumps due to being burnt out.

That's to bad me got burnt out. I thought I remember ready awhile back he was having health problems too, I hope he's ok now.

If you get a hold of him or someone else that reliable/good please let me know. I need to get on a dyno BAD.

Yellowchevy

BudTX

Edjumacated Redneck
Apr 8, 2007
MO
Tag for interest. I used that guy out near Baldwin a couple of times several years ago. The numbers were all over the place.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
I prefer Inertia. Why?

The one I use weighs 7000lbs rolling resistance. Dynojet 244HW

I wouldn't say using one is "wasting your money" All my track times are within 10hp of what the dyno says :)

I have gotten more F'd up numbers from load cell dynos than anything. All depends on the operator and if they know WTF their doing.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
I think what's more important than the inertia vs load cell is that whoever owns the dyno needs to know how and have experience with dynoing diesels.

We had a track day deal in SA about a year ago. They had a dyno there that I got on. It was a load cell dyno but they had no idea how to load a diesel. I laid down a whopping 387 rwhp lol all the guys usually dyno'd were ricers so they were saying something about not real having the correct program.

10 second trucks weren't breaking 400 hp on this thing. But the guys insisted the dyno was "still pretty damn accurate"

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I think what's more important than the inertia vs load cell is that whoever owns the dyno needs to know how and have experience with dynoing diesels.

We had a track day deal in SA about a year ago. They had a dyno there that I got on. It was a load cell dyno but they had no idea how to load a diesel. I laid down a whopping 387 rwhp lol all the guys usually dyno'd were ricers so they were saying something about not real having the correct program.

10 second trucks weren't breaking 400 hp on this thing. But the guys insisted the dyno was "still pretty damn accurate"

Hahahaha that's about how it went at the last dyno I went to. An edge tuner truck made the first run and it said 650hp. Dyno op said it was accurate but we all looked at each other and just shook out heads....

Even after tuning the dyno into my truck to the right hp it was still way off ....

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I prefer Inertia. Why?

I wouldn't say using one is "wasting your money" All my track times are within 10hp of what the dyno says :)

I have gotten more F'd up numbers from load cell dynos than anything. All depends on the operator and if they know WTF their doing.

I somewhat agree here...

Some prefer inertia bc you cant set them to lie as easily...

But... They arent capable of creating a real working load...

I completely agree that with load cells it all comes down to the dyno operator, no matter what dyno it is if the operator doesn't know how to set it up its just a crapp shoot...

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
I prefer Inertia. Why?

Thanks for the info Brian :thumb:.

The guy I talked to said he does diesels all the time and knows how to run the dyno for them. He did an LBZ with intake, exhaust, & PPE on stage 4 or 5 last week and it put down 433hp - 804ft/lbs(Sorry to retype this everybody).
Do those numbers look accurate for that setup Brian?

Only dyno's I really know anything about are water brake dyno's, not chassis dyno's.

I'm just trying to get some good data for my turbo's to see what gains I'm getting, that's all.

I've never taken it to a track plus it's a little on the heavy side so I don't think it would do very good, haha. Plus I've never ran anything down a track so that would make it interesting, haha.

I'll more than likely give this guy a shot and see what the dyno says. If it's way off I'll look elsewhere.
Any guesses on what I'll make? 03 LB7, II 366(billet), stock injectors, stock LB7 CP3 & regulator, 4" exhaust, dual kennedy lift pumps, Kory Willis max effort tune, PPE stage 5 tranny, MLG converter, 235/85 tires, 3500 dually.

Thanks everyone,
Yellowchevy

Last edited:

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
Russell, those numbers seem reasonable. I'd say as long as you go back to the same guy and use the same dyno you'll end up with some useful comparative data. As long as the operator can run the dyno in a repeatable manner it doesn't really matter what the numbers are. This is assuming they can at least build a decent amount of boost.

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
St joe diesel has a mustang dyno. I liked johns dyno better, I felt his numbers were more accurate. For testing turbos you'll need something that can apply a load otherwise you burn up your brakes trying to get max boost.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Russell, those numbers seem reasonable. I'd say as long as you go back to the same guy and use the same dyno you'll end up with some useful comparative data. As long as the operator can run the dyno in a repeatable manner it doesn't really matter what the numbers are. This is assuming they can at least build a decent amount of boost.

I was thinking that as well but again I'm not very knowledgeable with dyno's.

I'll keep this thread updated with what I find out and try for those in the KC area interested.

Yellowchevy

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Thought I'd update this thread being I found a good place to dyno in kansas city.

I got on the dyno about the 2nd week in November and am still going at it; hoping to get back on Wednesday if I get another wheel in mail tomorrow. I've had 12-14 sessions now with each session doing 5 runs. I've done 10 runs on some sessions being I've changed tuning.

Lowest numbers have been 421hp & 699ft/lbs; highest has been 488hp & 888ft/lbs. My motor is bone stock from the oil pan to the intake runs, stock heads & bolts even. So far she's still in one piece!!:thumb:

I was hoping to brake 500hp & 1000ft/lbs of torque but I don't know if it's going to happen; 500hp seems more attainable then 1000ft/lbs right now.

Thanks for everybody's help, I much appreciate it. Hoping to have my first round of testing done the middle of January.

Yellowchevy