Load dyno or Inertia dyno

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Thought I'd update this thread being I found a good place to dyno in kansas city.

I got on the dyno about the 2nd week in November and am still going at it; hoping to get back on Wednesday if I get another wheel in mail tomorrow. I've had 12-14 sessions now with each session doing 5 runs. I've done 10 runs on some sessions being I've changed tuning.

Lowest numbers have been 421hp & 699ft/lbs; highest has been 488hp & 888ft/lbs. My motor is bone stock from the oil pan to the intake runs, stock heads & bolts even. So far she's still in one piece!!:thumb:

I was hoping to brake 500hp & 1000ft/lbs of torque but I don't know if it's going to happen; 500hp seems more attainable then 1000ft/lbs right now.

Thanks for everybody's help, I much appreciate it. Hoping to have my first round of testing done the middle of January.

Yellowchevy

Where'd you find a dyno? I've got about 5 trucks we would like to dyno sometime. There's a diesel shop half way to kc that has one. Not sure if it's load or inertia, but I don't really trust the numbers since they want you to spend money with them

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Russell, those numbers seem reasonable. I'd say as long as you go back to the same guy and use the same dyno you'll end up with some useful comparative data. As long as the operator can run the dyno in a repeatable manner it doesn't really matter what the numbers are. This is assuming they can at least build a decent amount of boost.

This is actually what you need to do regardless of which dyno you use. You need a competent operator that can duplicate runs , hopefully conditions will be close to the same and you have a BASE run prior to any enhancements.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Thought I'd update this thread being I found a good place to dyno in kansas city.

I got on the dyno about the 2nd week in November and am still going at it; hoping to get back on Wednesday if I get another wheel in mail tomorrow. I've had 12-14 sessions now with each session doing 5 runs. I've done 10 runs on some sessions being I've changed tuning.

Lowest numbers have been 421hp & 699ft/lbs; highest has been 488hp & 888ft/lbs. My motor is bone stock from the oil pan to the intake runs, stock heads & bolts even. So far she's still in one piece!!:thumb:

I was hoping to brake 500hp & 1000ft/lbs of torque but I don't know if it's going to happen; 500hp seems more attainable then 1000ft/lbs right now.

Thanks for everybody's help, I much appreciate it. Hoping to have my first round of testing done the middle of January.

Yellowchevy

jeez you are slacking! who needs a family and job when you have us :roflmao:

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
This is actually what you need to do regardless of which dyno you use. You need a competent operator that can duplicate runs , hopefully conditions will be close to the same and you have a BASE run prior to any enhancements.

You're 100% right Mack!!:thumb: This was my biggest issue.

This is exactly why I spent so much time trying to find a shop. I called 4 different places and even talked to the place I ended going to twice before I decided to give them a try. I actually bought a sand blaster from a guy that also recommended them. He said they do a great job and that the dyno operator if very good and does a hell of a job.

I'm not looking for BIG number like most people when getting on the dyno. I'm strictly after actual gains that each wheel has along with the gains I get out of my work. So an accurate, repeatable dyno setup was what I wanted. The dyno operator is really interested in what I'm doing and likes seeing I'm doing this for research.

Every time I go there the dyno operator checks that the computer and settings to make sure all is right so my data is accurate.

OregonDMAX said:
Even though none of this testing is for your truck ;)

Nope!!:D But, it indirectly helps me personally!! Haha

clrussell said:
Where'd you find a dyno? I've got about 5 trucks we would like to dyno sometime. There's a diesel shop half way to kc that has one. Not sure if it's load or inertia, but I don't really trust the numbers since they want you to spend money with them

They're in Kansas City, KS. KC Engines is the name of the place. They mainly build engines; from middled to wilded. He also does a good amount of chassis and engine tuning.
Great guy to deal with. He's always busy so you need to call and schedule an appointment.

Yellowchevy

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
jeez you are slacking! who needs a family and job when you have us :roflmao:

Haha, if only you guys could pay me!!!:D
If I wasn't married or had a little boy thats always getting in to trouble I'd have all kinds of stuff done!! haha. I wouldn't be nearly as happy though without them:thumb:

Each wheel takes about 1 day to test. 3-4 hours to do the dyno testing from when I leave the house to getting back home being I'm not super close. Then about 3 hours to take GoPro video's and do all the different lag testing. Finally, 3-4 hours to swap in the next wheel!!:thumb:

But, I know you don't care James, you JUST WANT RESULTS!!!!:D
As I've texted you along the way, I've gotten some interesting results!!:woott:

For those that care, I've been updating my facebook page as I've tested each wheel.

Yellowchevy

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
Maybe I missed something but with a 366, built trans, and max effort tuning you should be in the 550-600 range on that dyno. The range being how hot the tune is and the health of the CP3.

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
Maybe I missed something but with a 366, built trans, and max effort tuning you should be in the 550-600 range on that dyno. The range being how hot the tune is and the health of the CP3.
I agree. said it was a kory max effort tune, so it should be up there.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan

You noticed that, too? I wasn't going to say anything, as I figured they were just going for consistency and not numbers, what with testing the different turbos and wheels.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now

Just to clarify so everybody is on the same page. The numbers I posted on 1/5/15 was for the IHI turbo's I've been testing.
My testing/dynoing is for the LB7 IHI in seeing the different characteristics and hp/torque gains of each wheel available for them.
I'm using Kory's tunes with my max effort being 230hp.

It has nothing to do with the S366. At the time I made this thread I had an S366 on my pickup and was considering dynoing it to see how it would do but decided not to.

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused in that updated post, I should have been more clear.

Yellowchevy

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Just to clarify so everybody is on the same page. The numbers I posted on 1/5/15 was for the IHI turbo's I've been testing.
My testing/dynoing is for the LB7 IHI in seeing the different characteristics and hp/torque gains of each wheel available for them.
I'm using Kory's tunes with my max effort being 230hp.

It has nothing to do with the S366. At the time I made this thread I had an S366 on my pickup and was considering dynoing it to see how it would do but decided not to.

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused in that updated post, I should have been more clear.

Yellowchevy

just ignore steve, hes been out of the loop too long :roflmao: :D