LMM Towing Issues

May 7, 2016
I have been having a problem with my LMM under heavy load. Its a 2008 deleted with efi live 5 position, I have had the truck since it was brand new so i know what its been through. I will be going up a hill under load and the truck will lug down and all of a sudden go from 1800 to like 2500 rpm, but its not a down shift. After this it will continue to do this down the road you can stand on it and the truck will peg out but still be loosing speed and have absolutely no power. Then the transmission will start to get hot. It will be running perfect on tranny temp before until this happens. Now if i stop on the side of the road and shut it off and let it set for about 5 or 6 min and fire it up and go down the road it will be just fine and dandy all the power in the world and for the rest of the trip no matter how hard I push the damn thing it wont do it again. No lights come on no codes nothing shows up when this happens. What is causing this to happen?

IanLBZ8

May 6, 2016
Try changing spin on filter. It may be plugged causing erratic shifts and slipping. they cost about 11 bucks so cheap gamble

D_R_C

Retired
Oct 31, 2011
Rocky Top, USA
OP,
Besides when was the last service, what hp level are you running with heavy loads are you using towhaul, manual shifting while towing heavy?
How many miles on your truck and what other mods that you might have, info like this people need when someone is looking for help.
The only 2 people that might know what HP levels 1-5 might be, would be your tuner and hopefully the OP.

May 7, 2016
sorry for not giving that ahead of time. its a stock transmission i do have a ppe tranny cooler I put in. As for efi I pull it on a 40 hp tune and usually I have tow haul on its happened the most while pulling a 40 ft toy hauler or sometimes when I have alot on my goosenecks. The truck has 125000 on it and has been doing it ever since about 100, and the tranny was serviced 15000 miles ago and checked reg. also doesn't smell burnt. Other than this I have never had a lick of issues with the truck and thats probably the only reason I have kept it this long. I have a 13 and 16 and love both of them but they just dont quite feel the same.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Looks like your converter is slipping too much and then the tcm unlocks it. Try running the stock tune and see if you have the same problem. May be time to get a new converter if not build the transmission up

D_R_C

Retired
Oct 31, 2011
Rocky Top, USA
First I would try manual shifting while towing, on flats 1900 min to 2100, grades 2200 min to 2800, 3000 for short burst if needed to top out that steep grade.
NEVER go above 5th gear run 1-5 manual shifting controls this for you.
Letting the RPM's drop to 1800 especially going up grade, is not good for the trans, engine at all.
Even doing what you've been doing for the last 115k was NOT good at all.
Because of this you might have torched your converter.
The Allison is smart providing your running solo, when towing it needs guidance like a 2 year old would.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Well, trade it park it or don't tow with it. If the pans not full of junk, several have put a good single disk billet converters in with stock internals for towing and works out fine until you go to adding much power.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Put the stock tune in it and drive it.

You have more issues than your seeing and it's clear you don't wanna dig into it, specially since it's taken you 25k of this issue to finally ask or start diag. Keep it up and you will stuck on the side of the road waiting on a tow truck

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
^^that

You don't have to screw around with the transmission. It will screw you over on its own if you keep going.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

D_R_C

Retired
Oct 31, 2011
Rocky Top, USA
Allstate offers RV Roadhelp, cost about $109 a year for all the vehicles you own, with your family, they'll tow even motor homes, truck and trailers.
It's like AAA but much better, the number of vehicles you have or even just riding in doesn't matter.

On a holiday when service is impossible to get, they'll even tow you to your home.
Providing your not 100's of mile away, I've been 185 miles away towed to my home.
No additional charges.

I've had them since 1996, I made good use of them with my 03 powerchoke 6.0 (gone)and my Motorhome in 1999 with a blown trans 165 miles to home.

Something to consider even if your not having issues.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Allstate offers RV Roadhelp, cost about $109 a year for all the vehicles you own, with your family, they'll tow even motor homes, truck and trailers.
It's like AAA but much better, the number of vehicles you have or even just riding in doesn't matter.

On a holiday when service is impossible to get, they'll even tow you to your home.
Providing your not 100's of mile away, I've been 185 miles away towed to my home.
No additional charges.

I've had them since 1996, I made good use of them with my 03 powerchoke 6.0 (gone)and my Motorhome in 1999 with a blown trans 165 miles to home.

Something to consider even if your not having issues.

That would be nice, do you have to have an insurance policy with them?

D_R_C

Retired
Oct 31, 2011
Rocky Top, USA
That would be nice, do you have to have an insurance policy with them?

NO,
I have progressive on my motor home and Polaris ranger.
State Farm on 5 other vehicles which includes my 32' Toybox.

I was going to include a link but would probably get a spanking for doing that, if the company doesn't pay the blood money required.

Just search for Allstate Motor Club RV road help.

Last edited:

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
I'm going to look into that. Could be good to have. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
NO,
I have progressive on my motor home and Polaris ranger.
State Farm on 5 other vehicles which includes my 32' Toybox.

I was going to include a link but would probably get a spanking for doing that, if the company doesn't pay the blood money required.

Just search for Allstate Motor Club RV road help.

no no, please do. i would like to look into that further