LML Twins and Opinions

Dm23

Mar 8, 2019
Socal
From what I’m getting he’s not bashing mark. He’s just not happy with the customer service from the company.

Dm23

Mar 8, 2019
Socal
From what I’m getting he’s not bashing mark. He’s just not happy with the customer service from the company. And the field I work in (aerospace). The customer is always right. And whining is sometimes the only thing, that gets shit done.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Sean (copperhead) and I are very close friends. We do a lot stuff engine wise back and forth with each other, same for suspension and other things. Unbeknownst to Ken, I’ve been involved with this turbo deal as two sets of eyes are better than one. Specially when AZ has VERY few people here that actually have knowledge on them and work on them. This isn’t a cheap build that was thrown together. My post much earlier in this thread about finding him a shop to have the truck worked on we’re not just bull shit posts, everyone was quite scared over the epa raids and they have been back a second time since then. Ken has some money into it and we wanted to make sure things were taken care of with the Danville turbo. Sadly that wasn’t the case. Oil pressure and volume was verified when the DT turbo came off and when the Danville turbo came off. New up pipe gaskets were used upon install of the Danville as well as boost leak tested. When it was brought back in, the up pipe gaskets were checked for leaks and well as a bunch of other things (up pipe cracks, loose manifold bolts, plugged drain, so on), nothing was found. If he had an oil issue, it was in the turbo outside our control.

I did not drive the truck after initial Danville turbo install but sean put some run time on the truck. it was mainly some idle time and easy driving up and down his side street for “turbo break in” knowing ken was going on this trip to Cali. Ken knows his truck better than we do so the “lazy feel” was not really noticed in the easy driving.

Take it for what it’s worth but diag shows pretty clear it was just a turbo failure outside our control. It sucks that this coincidence happen to happen to Ken being the DT turbo died and Danville turbo died. Still waiting to hear what the issues was on the DT turbo but based on the issues I know that DT is trying to work out with their turbos, that was a bane/unison ring issue. That’s just a guess till I hear back on it but has mostly been the issue.

FROGMAN524

Jul 17, 2010
Sean (copperhead) and I are very close friends. We do a lot stuff engine wise back and forth with each other, same for suspension and other things. Unbeknownst to Ken, I’ve been involved with this turbo deal as two sets of eyes are better than one. Specially when AZ has VERY few people here that actually have knowledge on them and work on them. This isn’t a cheap build that was thrown together. My post much earlier in this thread about finding him a shop to have the truck worked on we’re not just bull shit posts, everyone was quite scared over the epa raids and they have been back a second time since then. Ken has some money into it and we wanted to make sure things were taken care of with the Danville turbo. Sadly that wasn’t the case. Oil pressure and volume was verified when the DT turbo came off and when the Danville turbo came off. New up pipe gaskets were used upon install of the Danville as well as boost leak tested. When it was brought back in, the up pipe gaskets were checked for leaks and well as a bunch of other things (up pipe cracks, loose manifold bolts, plugged drain, so on), nothing was found. If he had an oil issue, it was in the turbo outside our control.

I did not drive the truck after initial Danville turbo install but sean put some run time on the truck. it was mainly some idle time and easy driving up and down his side street for “turbo break in” knowing ken was going on this trip to Cali. Ken knows his truck better than we do so the “lazy feel” was not really noticed in the easy driving.

Take it for what it’s worth but diag shows pretty clear it was just a turbo failure outside our control. It sucks that this coincidence happen to happen to Ken being the DT turbo died and Danville turbo died. Still waiting to hear what the issues was on the DT turbo but based on the issues I know that DT is trying to work out with their turbos, that was a bane/unison ring issue. That’s just a guess till I hear back on it but has mostly been the issue.

Thanks for the second set of eyes James i had no idea. Sean and his people are good guys and do good work and I wish they could have done the original install so I wouldn’t have had to drive to Boise and back twice. Anyway you look at it I’ve had a string of bad luck with this thing on most fronts but it’s been this last event that’s had me aggravated the most as it just seems no one in Indiana gives a shit about my circumstances. It’s basically we’ll fix it whenever, you’re not getting a quick replacement with a fast turnaround and **** off if you want it quickly. Again, once it goes back in we’ll see how it runs and if there’s another issue I’ll either go with a DDP as recommended by a few here or switch to a S363-SXE or something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Just to clarify, after the MAP sensor sees ~X amount of boost, I have set the vanes to open up accordingly. I've tuned hundreds upon hundreds of VGT compound setups over the years with no issues. Its not rocket science. Yes some tuners set Min Vane Position way too high if a modified charger is ran as a single, once a atmo charger is added to the setup, those tables MUST be adjusted properly to keep, boost/drive pressures, turbo shaft speeds in check. If forgotten you're looking at problems. Yet some hack tuners cant get modded VGTs to work so they get way to aggressive with the vane/boost tables which also leads to catastrophic failures.

Ken stated to me that on the test drive right out of the Seans shop door, the truck felt super lazy compared to the previous charger, also was making a odd noise that he didn't expect it to have but figured that was apart of the new charger as it was built from someone else so wasn't knowing what to expect right of the bat. That threw a red flag after he mentioned what it acted like right out the door. This build will get back on the road shortly hopefully:thumb: Never know some UPS driver could have butterfingered it unloading it.. No offense Tom lol
Actually, I agree with everything you said. Knowing Mark personally and how he runs his business, that turbo of his would've been packed appropriately to avoid damage, even by monkeys wearing brown.

IMO, something was initially wrong with the turbo. Shit happens. We're all humans and we're dealing with machines built by humans. It'll all get settled in the end.

graystonelbz

Jul 20, 2007
Prior Lake,MN
I don't know alot about this particular situation but I find it odd that many are defending poor customer service if that is what is going on. I'm a residential contractor, If we install a new roof and it leaks it is not acceptable to leave the concern open for any extended period of time. And as far as people being busy, everyone is right now, that's not an excuse. Sometimes you lose money when you run a business, thats part of business. So as I said, i don't know whats what in all this, but defending poor customer service doesn't fly with me.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
I don't know alot about this particular situation but I find it odd that many are defending poor customer service if that is what is going on. I'm a residential contractor, If we install a new roof and it leaks it is not acceptable to leave the concern open for any extended period of time. And as far as people being busy, everyone is right now, that's not an excuse. Sometimes you lose money when you run a business, thats part of business. So as I said, i don't know whats what in all this, but defending poor customer service doesn't fly with me.

You guys act like it's been months. He was pissed the same day the turbo got back to Danville. You guys need to understand the volume that goes through that shop on a daily basis. This is the shitty part about having to ship is the down time. Sounds like they are keeping in touch and answering the best that they can.
It's not like they can just ship out a new turbo everytime one fails. It's a process to get a warranty claim through Garrett and anyone that deals with Garrett knows the head aches of dealing with them. Once again. Patience is key. Also it's not a wise thing to bash before company returns your turbo. At this point the damage is done.
I do agree that someone higher up in the company needs to reach out to you. All of my employees know when something of this nature is happening that I need to be notified because it's my reputation.
Many guys sticking up for Danville and say stay calm are the ones that run a buiness and have been in the game a long time. They know how these type of situations go. It's a loose loose. I hope to see Mark chime in soon.

graystonelbz

Jul 20, 2007
Prior Lake,MN
You guys act like it's been months. He was pissed the same day the turbo got back to Danville. You guys need to understand the volume that goes through that shop on a daily basis. This is the shitty part about having to ship is the down time. Sounds like they are keeping in touch and answering the best that they can.
It's not like they can just ship out a new turbo everytime one fails. It's a process to get a warranty claim through Garrett and anyone that deals with Garrett knows the head aches of dealing with them. Once again. Patience is key. Also it's not a wise thing to bash before company returns your turbo. At this point the damage is done.
I do agree that someone higher up in the company needs to reach out to you. All of my employees know when something of this nature is happening that I need to be notified because it's my reputation.
Many guys sticking up for Danville and say stay calm are the ones that run a buiness and have been in the game a long time. They know how these type of situations go. It's a loose loose. I hope to see Mark chime in soon.
I have no reason to bash anyone, I don't know any of the people involved. And it really doesn't matter what service one provides, customer service is customer service. Garret's warranty being a hassle is not the customers problem at all.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
At the end of the day, frogman isn’t Danville’s only customer, and he isn’t their only customer with a turbo failure. Requesting another brand new turbo is unreasonable in my opinion. I sympathize with the situation and hate that it happened, but just because he comes on the forum complaining about it doesn’t mean he gets special treatment.

I don't know alot about this particular situation but I find it odd that many are defending poor customer service if that is what is going on. I'm a residential contractor, If we install a new roof and it leaks it is not acceptable to leave the concern open for any extended period of time.
So let’s say you do a roof and there is a leak. Do you rip the entire roof back off and start from scratch, or do you just fix the leak? It seems to me like you might need to start replacing the whole thing because your customer paid for a new roof not a roof with a repair.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
All this fussing and it ain't even been a week yet? Mercy, some of these dudes have gone round & round with shops/services for MONTHS with little to no resolve. Its obvious frogman has always operated on a fast pace in regards to purchasing parts & having them installed timely. I assume he's just busy and demanding and I suspect he realizes he's demanding but is willing to pay handsomely for it.

However, and understand that I've never spent one dime with Danville, perhaps it's a little soon to be appalled with their customer service? Afterall, it seems like they ARE going to take care of the turbo repair, covered shipping, and no doubt cut other paying customers in line in order to accommodate the squeaky wheel here. Short of doing what I think is delusional, sending out another brand new unit, they seem to be working towards a resolve pretty diligently. It still takes a little time. Breathe!

BUT, I am a little dissappointed that Mark has posted a time slip on this site while this issue is going on over here and no one from Danville has responded to Ken or the shop. I suspect he's just letting this pan out without getting into this online drama, but a message to the OP, even if just in a DM, saying "sorry, we're working on it as fast as we can. Bare with us please" would probably go a looong way towards helping Ken feel better about it. That is a little unfortunate that hasn't happened but time slips have been posted for other out-of-state client's trucks.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin

So if LML turbos are failing regularly would it be unreasonable to put an earlier style charger in the truck and modify the hot crossover pipe or are they a tuning nightmare? All of the previous generation chargers seem to be proven as hell from almost any manufacturer.

SickLL7Crenshaw

Billy The Kid
Mar 10, 2013
Mexico
So if LML turbos are failing regularly would it be unreasonable to put an earlier style charger in the truck and modify the hot crossover pipe or are they a tuning nightmare? All of the previous generation chargers seem to be proven as hell from almost any manufacturer.

LML based chargers work flawlessly, some companies just have issues making them reliable. Most likely it’s not how they’re built, but what quality of parts they are built with. Everyone is always still learning how to make their product better.

Tuning a lml is no different from tuning a lbz-lmm. There is just some hex work that needs to be done to have full control of the lml platform.

FROGMAN524

Jul 17, 2010
I must be speaking Chinese here. If you’ve got time for time slips and dyno/track videos, you’ve got time to respond here and give your side of the story. That’s what I would be doing if I were them or any other company under scrutiny on a forum I use for marketing.

Anyway, the point here is that when I called the first time, Eric at Danville picked up the phone. He’s a guy who has always acted like every time I’ve spoken with him that he doesn’t like his job and hates answering the most basic of questions and is thoroughly annoyed that anyone would ask him anything. He had an attitude from the start. I then called back two days later and asked to speak with Eric but am told, by another guy who’s name I forget, that Eric is no longer employed there and how can he help me. From the start of me explaining what’s going on he cuts me off to tell me he’s already spoken with Sean and not to call them but only to speak with Sean. Again, major attitude from the jump of which I’m sure none of these people would have if I was standing in front of them, or maybe they would. I tried to ask him another question but again he cut me off and told me I need to talk with Sean only which pissed me off the most.

So then the next day or the following day I don’t remember which I called and I spoke with Whitney who answered the phone. She wasn’t able to answer any technical questions and when I directly asked her to send out a new charger or give me a refund or even send an overnight label she said if I wanted any of that I’d have to pay for it up front. She said they would investigate the issue and see if it’s even a warranty claim that they might cover once it got there but that they were going to be 3 weeks out before they touched it because they have so many warranty claims ahead of me. I then asked to speak with Mark and she said he’s busy doing a dyno session or something to that effect. I asked if he was the owner, as I thought he was, and she says no Larry is and he has been for years with the attitude that I should have known that and what a dumb question you idiot! I then of course asked to speak with Larry and she said he was picking up a customer from the airport and she would have him call me later and took down my phone number. Larry never called of course.

Since that conversation I’ve spoken with her maybe two more times because she happens to pick up the phone when I call and every time I’ve asked what the problem is she doesn’t know and I’ve asked to expedite it and send out a new charger and she said no they’re going to fix it and they’re gonna put me in the front of the line and they would have it back to me by today which obviously isn’t happening. As you can see, or can’t see, my experience with the employees of that business has been less than desirable from the jump and if I owned the business all three of those assholes would be fired and the customer would have, at the minimum, an apology from me personally. Good thing there’s a place like this for people like me to speak up on.

Last edited:

lutzjk913

May 5, 2010
groveport, ohio
My one question I have here is......

Do we know if mark is even aware of this thread on here?

Yeah he is on here posting slips but I doubt he reads every single thread like some of us. Hell I don’t even read every one.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

dont put words in my post that are not there. i never said LML turbos fail regularly.

FROGMAN524

Jul 17, 2010
My one question I have here is......

Do we know if mark is even aware of this thread on here?

Yeah he is on here posting slips but I doubt he reads every single thread like some of us. Hell I don’t even read every one.

He is. I messaged him about this over a week ago and he told me came and saw the thread.

FROGMAN524

Jul 17, 2010
My question has been answered then.

Thanks for clearing that up Ken.

After all the people I’ve spoken to that have testified as to how many blown/siezed Danville turbos they’ve seen, especially LML units, in just the last year alone, I think they know they’ve got a problem and don’t want it public which is why you’ve seen no comment about it. Same with DT and their Stealth series.

Last edited:

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
dont put words in my post that are not there. i never said LML turbos fail regularly.

Not what I was trying to do at all. I am just stating if LML turbos are having higher failure rates (as said in more than one post in this thread) I was simply asking if it would be advantageous for Ken to go to a pre-LML charger.