Lml pistons

Troysalm71

Feb 28, 2016
Bemidji, MN
I’m looking to see if anyone has an idea where I can get an 11-16 piston set. I’m told 01-16 kit won’t work, unless we change rods. Jag’s Pro Truck Shop out of Zimmerman mn is building it. The much added cost I’m not looking to switch rods and re balance the engine to switch to those pistons, or so I’m told. Any help would be much appreciated thank you.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I’m looking to see if anyone has an idea where I can get an 11-16 piston set. I’m told 01-16 kit won’t work, unless we change rods. Jag’s Pro Truck Shop out of Zimmerman mn is building it. The much added cost I’m not looking to switch rods and re balance the engine to switch to those pistons, or so I’m told. Any help would be much appreciated thank you.

Quick google search turns up Lincoln Diesel Service (19301155WR-FS, $924, LINK), online GM parts places, GM themselves, RockAuto etc. The GM PN is 19301155 per piston but does not include rings, LDS sells them with rings ready to go with GM warranty. I'm assuming your comment on pistons in regards to a 01-16 kit is the Mahle Motorsport style aftermarket pistons, if so then yes you'd have to balance the rotating assy again but I don't think you'd need to switch rods to run the Motorsports style pistons. If you buy a direct stock replacement piston for 11-16 you shouldn't have that much of an issue.

I'm kind of surprised Jag's can't source stock GM pistons?

Last edited:

Troysalm71

Feb 28, 2016
Bemidji, MN
I’ve been running google searches all day. I ran across that piston from Lincoln as well. Jags called so I haven’t called back yet. They’ve been hitting a wall everywhere on pistons. I think it’s more their call on the stock replacements. They’re wanting to go delipped, which is fine if a guy could source them. I was told the narrower lml rod will force me to put 01-10 rods in. I’m getting different feedback on that side of things.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
we need more info here cause something not adding up....

they want to put a delipped piston in but dont want prior older pistons because it will throw off balance

somehow the balance was done with no pistons or at min, 7 pistons

they are telling you only 11-16 pistons will work on those rods.

they cant balance the rotating assembly with out ALL the pistons on hand. if they are leaving the rotating assembly alone, all 01-16 pistons will work on your rods, you just have a narrower wrist pin head on the rod, it wont cause any ill effects over time (few guys i know have done this with many miles under their belts thus far).

if you are going to do a delipped piston, ditch the 06-16 pistons all together and put 01-05 pistons in and have them delipped. either way, the moment your stockers are delipped, you just threw off "the factory" balance (which there isnt much of) so might as well put a stronger piston in that isnt overly heavy ( i dont have mahle race cast weights to compare to a delipped lb7/lly to say its worth changing.

But in my honest opinion, you should have had the rotating assembly balanced to make that crank last as long as possible which means you need all the rotating parts (bearings, rods, pistons, rings, wrist pins, circlips, etc) to do so.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Forgot to add, we need .20 overs.

I would call Gabe or Lorenzo at SoCal. They have a very good relationship with Mahle and may be able to get pistons. I cannot find a GM part number for 0.020"/50mm overbore. All the stock Mahle 0.020"/50mm overbore pistons are out of stock everywhere I've looked.

Troysalm71

Feb 28, 2016
Bemidji, MN
Correct Chevy1925 on the 11-16 piston kit. They tell me that’s all thst will work, or they’ve got to re balance and machine for the 01-10 pistons and then different rods. I’ve been told by several the 01-16 kit will work, they’re the ones saying different. I will call and get more info.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I did not read every response or post in the thread, but there is no reason you can't run a set of Mahle Motorsport pistons, or something similar, with stock LML rods.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Correct Chevy1925 on the 11-16 piston kit. They tell me that’s all thst will work, or they’ve got to re balance and machine for the 01-10 pistons and then different rods. I’ve been told by several the 01-16 kit will work, they’re the ones saying different. I will call and get more info.

if they are delipping 11-16 pistons to put in, they should NOT be telling you that any other piston wont work due to needing a rebalance. they certainly didnt balance the rotating assembly without pistons on hand, it cant accurately be done.

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
Someone can correct me if I’m wrong but I believe gm only goes 10 over for any of their motors as far as supplying pistons for through the catalog. And maybe that’s why the shop is having issues cause they’re looking for factory 20 overs......? Either way when this motor is assembled I’d definitely opt to have it balanced regardless. It’s worth every penny IMHO.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Someone can correct me if I’m wrong but I believe gm only goes 10 over for any of their motors as far as supplying pistons for through the catalog. And maybe that’s why the shop is having issues cause they’re looking for factory 20 overs......? Either way when this motor is assembled I’d definitely opt to have it balanced regardless. It’s worth every penny IMHO.

no, duramax engines are generally .020 increments. i have seen .010 pistons before but its no where near as frequent as the .020.