LML Hesitation/Driveline Dead Space

KRATOCT

Aug 22, 2011
I’ll try to keep this as short as possible and still explain the situation but I am looking for some troubleshooting help for my 2016 LML. For a while now I have occasionally had moments where I would notice a dead zone in the throttle most noticeably found in 1st gear starting from a stop where according to my CTS3 my throttle position could get up to 10-15% sometimes before the engine revved at all and therefore propelled the truck forward. I have also seen instances (less often, maybe once every 2-3 months) where when reengaging the throttle while rolling in 2nd gear, the truck seems confused on whether it wants 1st or 2nd and the engine revs as if in neutral before grabbing and moving.

This may not be related but the most recent issue that is driving me crazy and has me driving on eggshells is the hesitation any time I engage the throttle from 0% while moving. This could be nearly in any gear (although noticed more in 1st and 2nd) and can be coming off the brake or just coasting to re-engaging the throttle to continue to move or accelerate in town with traffic or around a corner, etc.. I do my absolute best to feather the pedal with the slightest amount of pressure that seems to help slightly but there is still a noticeable dead spot and almost a clunk/jerk when the driveline grabs.

Could this be U-Joints? (no squeak or vibration but truck has 117k miles and I’m not sure that they’ve ever been done)

Transmission slip? [I have had the TAPS reset when the truck was first re-flashed but I have 3 tunes and about 2-3 times a year re-flash for a different tune (3 individual tunes, no DPS5)]

Issue with the pedal cable or plunger? (I’ve had the brake light/pedal plunger switch go bad on my 98 Sierra, is there anything similar that could cause this play in the throttle pedal?)

Transmission EPC Fooler? I have the EPC fooler to help keep line pressure up and NO TCM tuning. Could this fooler be causing an issue?

I could see some of the shift confusion being from the changing of tunes when the engine revs up with no driveline engaging (similar to revving in neutral) but have a hard time believing the dead zone coming off of 0% throttle would be a result of needing the TAPS reset again. I’ll probably plan to get the TAPS reset here soon since it’d probably best to have it done every time a switch tunes and it’s been a couple years, however I’m hoping this isn’t something more serious. My biggest fear of course being the transmission failing.

Its hard to hear anything while driving due to engine, tire, exhaust and wind noise, but when backing down my driveway, when I let off or engage the throttle, I can hear a very noticeable clunk (as if someone was tapping a small hammer on something under the truck.

Thanks in advance for the help

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
It’s not dead pedal, mine is doing the same thing. It’s worse when you go over speed bumps, I think it might be related to a sensor. The Allison unlocks the torque converter when it senses say a speed bump, then it relooks after it thinks your over said bump. Im leaning towards a bad torque converter lockup sensor/solenoid, bad yaw sensor or maybe the torque converter is about to give up. It does it very randomly other than over speed bumps, if I go over a big bump and get right into it the truck will surge and bang once before it totally reengages and drives normally.

KRATOCT

Aug 22, 2011
I agree. It's not the dead pedal issue a lot of people mention. Has anyone else experienced this and have any insight as far as trouble shooting a fix?