LML ecm flashing issues

Yuptown_lly

Oct 20, 2016
Central Virginia
So here is my situtaion. Removed the exhaust on our 2012 chevy silverado 3500 dually and installed a delete pipe, removed the def system and purchased an efi live delete tune. When i went to do full flash the autocal checked to 100% and went to tune the truck and it got to 1% and failed with an error code 0281. I looked over the wiring checked the fuses and battery voltage and found nothing. Tried flashing it multiple times with the same outcome, it would flash 1% 0% 1% error code 0281. So I broke down and ordered a new factory programmed ECM. Installed the ECM did the key relearn process and the truck fired right up. Figured the issue was resolved so I went to try the flashing process again. Same thing happened, 1% 0% 1% error code 0281. My buddy came over and we both checked the obd2 port and wires, no issues. Finally found a blown trailer brake fuse. We fixed the fuse and still the same issue, error 0281. We called duramax tuner and they said to try pulling the radio, amp and info fuses then try the flash. My issue now is once the autocal throws the 0281 code the truck goes into some kind of anti theft mode where the cel light and glow plug light are both dim or half lit and you can't start the truck or anything else. I'm thinking with the trailer brake fuse fixed and the radio, amp and info fuse removed the truck might flash but it won't as long as it's in this anti theft mode. Does anybody else have any experience or info with this kind of situation

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
According to a post by Paul at EFILive, '$281 is "No Data Received"'. Not sure what to suggest, but as far as fuses, im 99% sure pulling fuses does precisely squat in the 06 and newer. Im pretty sure its a holdover from the LB7/LLY time when the ECM was programmed over the same (Class2) data bus that all other modules used, some of which don't 'shut up' when told to and cause flashing issues. From the LBZ on, the ECM and TCM are flashed over a high speed GMLAN data bus - nothing else is on that bus (well, nothing 'trivial' like the radio and HVAC - just critical driveline modules). On the LBZs everything else is still Class2, and LMM and newer is a Low Speed GMLAN bus.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

Yuptown_lly

Oct 20, 2016
Central Virginia
What would cause the 0281 then? Two ecms and the same issues has got me stumped and the truck has been sitting for two weeks now. Really need to get it going again soon

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Have you tried hooking up a computer and using the autocal in passthru mode?