Question: LLY vs LML

eaust96

Dec 27, 2014
Currently have an 05 duramax and thinking of upgrading to one I found local to me for a decent price with low miles. Just curious in the differences in power train and modability between the two. Hopefully there's someone on here that's been in a similar situation. Just looking for opinions and such.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
well they make egr deletes. full exhausts if your looking for sound. you will need tunes if you go that route. you can also leave it all on truck, and tune it. all depends on your demands, and what your after.
you can do trans builds, injectors, turbos ect.

main issue with lml is the cp4. some last, some dont. most convert to cp3 if looking for higher hp.

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
im lifted, so i cant really have any argument here. but if your after mileage, your lly will definitely do better 90% the time. my lbz had a ton done to it, but still got way better then my lml does in any category

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
And some convert to the cp3 just for reliability.

The LLY is going to be a lot cheaper to do the usual stuff to and a lot easier.

The lml is obviously going to be an overall nicer package but cost more to do things to and repair.

All depends on what you're looking for and wanting to do with the truck.

eaust96

Dec 27, 2014
Well it's going to be my daily and a tow rig haha I just want a little bit better reliability out of it for those long distance trips

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
If you're getting an lml, I'd do a cp3 conversion and full deletes.

If I was getting an LLY, I'd do head studs to just be done with it, egr delete or blocker, lbz mouthpiece and a full intake and exhaust.

eaust96

Dec 27, 2014
Alright cool thanks for the info. If I don't get the new one at least I have a baseline on where to continue with my current one.

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
im not knocking my lml. i do love it. but i miss my lbz mos tthe time. i just was bored and wanted something to mess with again
the deletes and a few other things really changes the truck. makes it a lot more fun to drive. plus mpg goes up alittle too.

eaust96

Dec 27, 2014
im not knocking my lml. i do love it. but i miss my lbz mos tthe time. i just was bored and wanted something to mess with again
the deletes and a few other things really changes the truck. makes it a lot more fun to drive. plus mpg goes up alittle too.

That's kind of the point I'm at too. I kinda want to start Over

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
Congrats on the promotion, Tom! I didn't notice you were a moderator until now.

Back on topic. How much towing do you do? If it's a fair amount, and decent weight, get the LML. If you don't tow heavy and often, then keep the LLY. The frame, brakes, and springs on the LML make for a better tow rig.

The dead pedal in the LML, compared to the LB7/LLY, is annoying (to me at least) and I'm told it can't be tuned out to be as responsive as my LB7. If my old truck was an LLY, I doubt I'd have an LML.

That said, I do like my LML. The creature comforts are a lot nicer than my old truck.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Lml is light years ahead of your lly chassis, brakes and convince wise. Lml is going to be much more reliable and 2014's have the upgraded cp4, of which I've never heard one fail. If your daily driving and towing long distances its really a nobrainer, get the lml...

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
depends on what you do with them. if your stock vs stock. yeah the lml is nice. but lly and lbz modded its not even close. my lbz would walk all over my lml in any category

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
The LML does have better brakes,steering,frame, tows better, handles better and with deletes and cp3 conversion with the right guy tuning it will perform just as good. May not quite get as good of a time slip but will mph just as good if not better. It will not respond as quickly or spin the tires as easily.

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
yeah they are impressive. but my lbz had twins, dual pumps, injectors, and ran mid 11s. did that for 6yrs. and still is currently, one of my buddies bought it.
gonna take alot more work to get an lml there.
i love the truck. ill buy another in a year or 2 if im bored. but if all he wants is performance, hard to beat the lly and lbz. hell any in the 01-10 area.

drperry

Jan 4, 2015
CP3 conversion, first off... There's 2014+ CP4's failing up here.

On my 2011, pre-lift pump and with the catalytic converter still in, I pulled a 468HP and 850lb-ft of torque with my 2nd hottest tune.

And got a 17.1 @ 86MPH in the 1/4 with a three second lift of the throttle to refill the fuel rail, lol.

The LML also has a slightly beefier transmission and tie rods.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Lml is light years ahead of your lly chassis, brakes and convince wise. Lml is going to be much more reliable and 2014's have the upgraded cp4, of which I've never heard one fail. If your daily driving and towing long distances its really a nobrainer, get the lml...

x2. The 2011+ chassis improvements alone is worth it...36 gallon fuel tank too.

The handling/steering/ride/brakes are awesome on the LML. Its quiet, smooth, doesnt smell, and mine gets 19mpg easily on the highway...its running stock power level and emissions intact. Ive had it for a year and still no desire to delete it or turn it up. Honestly...I love the thing that much. I never thought I would be so content driving a stock duramax until I got my LML.

I dont think Id ever buy another 2001-2010 truck...unless I had money burning a hole in my pocket, then maybe Id build an LBZ dedicated race truck, I dunno....but daily driver/non-dedicated-race-truck, 2011+ all day any day. :thumb: