LLY twins? Or bigger VGT?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
^^Brad is right.

IMHO, I would add an aux radiator before twin or with twins. Your flat out going to need it the moment you add more power than you have and even then, depending on how much you turn up the power it may not be enough.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
^^Brad is right.

IMHO, I would add an aux radiator before twin or with twins. Your flat out going to need it the moment you add more power than you have and even then, depending on how much you turn up the power it may not be enough.

Kind of a derail, do you have any posts or could you send me some info on how you plumbed in your aux rad?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Kind of a derail, do you have any posts or could you send me some info on how you plumbed in your aux rad?

coolertowing.com has all the instructions on how to install their kits. basically creating a big X with the tubing. id rather do all custom hoses to get rid of the X but it works and nothing rubs.

Utahski

Oct 20, 2008
Northern Utah
I’m looking for experience from those that have upgraded the lly turbo or put in twins. What did you see?

My use will be 80% heavy towing (20k toy hauler) and I live at 4500ft. All indications point to doing an sdp or hsp twin kit with s475. What did you go with? How were towing egt’s?

On the compound turbo, which is better to have over stock? Does billet vs cast make much difference?

Thanks!

The first compound setup on my LLY was a Garrett 475 (journal bearing 4202) with the stock turbo, all stock engine/fuel, and EFI. A very nice combination. Made 550hp uncorrected on a Mustang dyno at 4400' elevation. Drove really well and felt a ton stronger than stock, I still have that kit. Second compounds were on a completely built engine.....HTT366 (T3) integral gated over S480 with 60% injectors, did 717hp on that same uncorrected dyno. Also a really nice setup, drove beautifully. I towed only a few times with either of those and don't remember how it went. I'm at 6500' elevation. Those are two real good setups. I've had triples since about '11 or '12 now and like them very much.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Twins to help with additional flow/reduced EGT on long pulls up grade with the assist of an external oil cooler to help take load of coolant system. From there, if necessary I’ll look at Kennedy fan, etc to bring etc down more if the first two steps aren’t enough. :thumb:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why do you think you need twins? A bigger single will lower EGTs and not add as much heat into the oil, intake air, and coolant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NevadaLLY

Adam B
Feb 24, 2019
Reno, NV
Alright - as an update - I went the twins route and couldn't be more pleased with the results. Honestly, if you don't have them or have never driven them, you cant really say not to do them because they make one hell of a difference. Just completed the kit this weekend with a slew of other changes (manifolds, up-pipes, tuning, lower temp T-stats) but the results are impressive so far. EGT's barely crest 1100 on max effort WOT (unloaded), cruise temps are about 650 (down by about 150-200 deg), MPG is up about 2.5MPG, boost readings are about 42PSI max effort WOT (probably some adjustment to do there and i found a crack in the stocker intercooler - next to upgrade). I'll be putting together a video for the truck and some of the install on Youtube over the next few weeks as well as showing before and after towing results. :thumb: Install took about 40hrs of direct time - including dropping bolts into the no-man's land of the engine bay. :cool:

NevadaLLY

Adam B
Feb 24, 2019
Reno, NV
OH and best result so far - coolant temps stay solid on 185 in all driving conditions so far. The real test will be 100deg, loaded with trailer, going up a 7% grade for 10 miles.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
OH and best result so far - coolant temps stay solid on 185 in all driving conditions so far. The real test will be 100deg, loaded with trailer, going up a 7% grade for 10 miles.

keep it on the same tow tune power level wise you had before and it should run slightly better. you increase power and it will get hot doing that.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Alright - as an update - I went the twins route and couldn't be more pleased with the results. Honestly, if you don't have them or have never driven them, you cant really say not to do them because they make one hell of a difference. Just completed the kit this weekend with a slew of other changes (manifolds, up-pipes, tuning, lower temp T-stats) but the results are impressive so far. EGT's barely crest 1100 on max effort WOT (unloaded), cruise temps are about 650 (down by about 150-200 deg), MPG is up about 2.5MPG, boost readings are about 42PSI max effort WOT (probably some adjustment to do there and i found a crack in the stocker intercooler - next to upgrade). I'll be putting together a video for the truck and some of the install on Youtube over the next few weeks as well as showing before and after towing results. :thumb: Install took about 40hrs of direct time - including dropping bolts into the no-man's land of the engine bay. :cool:

Congrats on the jump to compounds! They are by far the best option for towing. The only thing you won't be able to easily monitor is oil temp. A high quality intercooler is an extremely good investment.

NevadaLLY

Adam B
Feb 24, 2019
Reno, NV
Speaking intercooler - recommendations? Thinking mishimoto.

Also @bdsankey - when you do your twins boost test, what is your leak rate? I don't have much blow by, but there's a little that's always been there. Just keeping an eye as I know bottom end has its limits. Should you be able to pressurize to say 30psi, and it will hold solid or will there be some drop % overtime allowed?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Speaking intercooler - recommendations? Thinking mishimoto.

Also @bdsankey - when you do your twins boost test, what is your leak rate? I don't have much blow by, but there's a little that's always been there. Just keeping an eye as I know bottom end has its limits. Should you be able to pressurize to say 30psi, and it will hold solid or will there be some drop % overtime allowed?

I personally like the Banks or BD intercooler (BD is made by Northern Radiator). The Northern unit is a great bang for the buck. I personally didn't have the greatest luck/efficiency with my Mishimoto. The thing that I believe Banks missed is their intercooler DOESN'T use factory outlet locations. The factory cold side (passenger side) on a 01-05 intercooler is long and angled up/in (towards the hood and center of the engine) whereas the banks points straight towards the rear of the vehicle which means standard CAC plumbing won't work. With that said, a Vibrant 45deg boot with long legs will allow you to install it on standard CAC plumbing from say an HSP style kit but I don't like that solution unless it is the only path forward.

As for leakdown, I don't recall what the rate is as it's been awhile since I've done a test. You will always have some leakage due to at least one valve allowing air in/out. There also will always be some level of blow-by. The earlier engines (LB7/LLY) are nowhere near as prone to piston cracking/failure like the LBZ/LMM engines are. When a LB7/LLY fails, they typically bend a connecting rod and it is not always easy to catch.

Long story short, keep your towing tune to the same overall power added as it was with the factory VGT like James said or else things will get hot when towing. Also, use a reputable tuner and I think it'll live a long happy life if you use the power responsibly.

NevadaLLY

Adam B
Feb 24, 2019
Reno, NV
Thanks - And yes I tow on my tow tune, as it's intended. plus with the fleece tapshifter for gear selection (reduce lugging or braking) as well as turbo braking, i think it will do quite well. PPEI did my tuning - i'm pleased. I'll look at the BD intercooler. With a BRAND new HSP kit, I'm not going to be modifying piping with all the pretty powdercoat. OEM fit is what i'm after with some benefit of additional cooling capacity. Thanks for the advice.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Thanks - And yes I tow on my tow tune, as it's intended. plus with the fleece tapshifter for gear selection (reduce lugging or braking) as well as turbo braking, i think it will do quite well. PPEI did my tuning - i'm pleased. I'll look at the BD intercooler. With a BRAND new HSP kit, I'm not going to be modifying piping with all the pretty powdercoat. OEM fit is what i'm after with some benefit of additional cooling capacity. Thanks for the advice.

For clarity, its not a modification that involves cutting/fabricating etc, it is using a different boot with the Banks intercooler as opposed to the factory boot.

NevadaLLY

Adam B
Feb 24, 2019
Reno, NV
I found a screaming deal for the CSF heavy duty 7103 intercooler. No one seems to have any data on it, but it looks to be on par with the aftermarket standard. It may not be a banks technicooler, but for a significant amount less, it's worth trying. I'll post results. Should have installed in a few weeks.
:thumb:

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I found a screaming deal for the CSF heavy duty 7103 intercooler. No one seems to have any data on it, but it looks to be on par with the aftermarket standard. It may not be a banks technicooler, but for a significant amount less, it's worth trying. I'll post results. Should have installed in a few weeks.
:thumb:

Sounds like you're all set! Anything is better than one that's leaking. I don't have any personal experience with them in regards to their efficiency (pressure drop & temp reduction) but I think you should be fine.

nskyline34

Nov 27, 2010
Seattle
sub'd. Currently have my turbo out for stuck vanes and considering grabbing a used S475 and fabbing up compounds. I miss my Cummins with compounds...would pull anything. 700whp and EGT's were never an issue...coolant temp on the other hand...I always had to back out of it on long hills because of coolant temps...then again I dont think Dodge planned on the stock cooling system supporting 94psi of boost and 1600 ft-lbs. :roflmao:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I love compound setups. I'm going to be building a kit for my truck soon.

NevadaLLY

Adam B
Feb 24, 2019
Reno, NV
CSF intercooler arrived. The packaging leaves little to be desired but I don’t see any immediate damage. The unit seams pretty heavy duty (should as it’s the “hd” unit) and of good quality. I’ll be doing the install tomorrow afternoon. I’ll take some comparison shots and at that time should also be able to see where the crack is on the OEM intercooler. I’ll then run a boost leak test on the CAC setup from hot side inlet.

NevadaLLY

Adam B
Feb 24, 2019
Reno, NV
CSF intercooler went in last night - wow what a difference in just appearance alone. The CSF HD intercooler is .75" wider cross section than the OEM. I found 3 spots on my OEM intercooler where it was leaking, one as i suspected was a huge crack at the bracket - likely due to the accident last year. Can't wait to tow with this thing.