LLY FICM

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I seem to remember a video of a guy peeling his open and it was an outer cap that was burnt, maybe not. But if your theory is correct about the traces, it could still be a crap shoot on which one would get torched first?
Now which one of our members here has a lady who works in a hospital and has access to an X-ray machine. I'd like to see if we can get someone to get an image of the internal traces. That would tell us a lot of what we need to know with regards to where the failure is or chances of keeping it alive

I know there are commercial services for this but they are mostly for production line stuff and one off imaging will likely be expensive

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Technically my wife does, but they're pretty tight on rules. They even track what employees print from the computer

Dental office would be more lax, but I'm not sure if the imaging equipment would be set up to do that

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Technically my wife does, but they're pretty tight on rules. They even track what employees print from the computer

Dental office would be more lax, but I'm not sure if the imaging equipment would be set up to do that
Yeah. Might even need a CT scan

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Ya know, you could always ask our previous Fearless Leader, Pat. I seem to remember his business had to do with testing equipment. He may, or may know someone, who has such equipment.

Reactions: 2004LB7

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
My wheels are turning. Been looking over the wiring diagram and pinout for these FICM's. The control signal from the ECM is eight individual wires, one for each injector to the FICM. If the control signal was a fancy coded logic or CAN/GMLAN then why eight individual lines? This makes me think that the ECM is doing all the heavy lifting on the calculation and just sending the turn on signal down each line for the individual injectors. Maybe something as simple as a square wave, with the duty cycle adjusted for the on duration of the injector.

If this is true then I see no reason why we couldn't make something ourselves to receive this signal and turn of the injectors. I don't know if there is anything that will make the ECM freak out and not run if it doesn't see the FICM on the data bus lines. One would have to get out their scanner and see if there is any injector command after disconnecting the FICM.

From what I see, it looks like we would just need to build a boost converter for the batteries 12 volts to the injectors 48/96 volts. Then feed that into a bank of capacitors. The signal from the ECM would trigger some mosfets that would discharge the capacitors into the appropriate injector.

Chop out and disregard the proprietary monitoring circuits and code reporting chips and just whittle it down to a basic injector driver.

We would need someone who has a scope and an LLY or LB7 to measure the control signal from the ECM to see what it looks like. This looks like something that would be right up Fingers alley.

117401242.gif

Reactions: turbovan

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
IIRC mine was showing 300us or so while cranking and the FICM was toasted. I would have to say that it would run even if it sensed a disconnect from the FICM. The replacement boards for the Ford FICM seems pretty cheap (if I'm looking at them correctly). Even if a replacement board for the LLY was $800 I'm sure they'd sell like hotcakes

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
IIRC mine was showing 300us or so while cranking and the FICM was toasted. I would have to say that it would run even if it sensed a disconnect from the FICM. The replacement boards for the Ford FICM seems pretty cheap (if I'm looking at them correctly). Even if a replacement board for the LLY was $800 I'm sure they'd sell like hotcakes
Yes. I can't imagine them costing more then a few hundred to make. Even with using premium components like film capacitors that will essentially never go bad. Doesn't even have to be a four layer board. A double sided would make things cheaper and easier to repair if needed. I can see them being made for around $100 if done in a batch.

It would be convenient to reuse the same case and harness connector. So a core would be good to have to swap out the inner board with. If all else fails I guess one could cut the harness and splice in another connector that would be easier to source. But that would suck to have to do

Reactions: PureHybrid

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
This is a basic DC to DC boost circuit. Not that difficult to make. Calculating the right components is a little beyond my skills. I could probably test it in a simulator though

Boost-Converter.png

The injector driver capacitors are easy as you could just copy what was already used since they are matched to the inductance of the injector coil. Mosfets shouldn't be difficult to figure out either

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I would definitely wire in a new style connector before paying big bucks on a used FICM. Especially if you could all but guarantee it to be bullet proof. Sounds like your next business venture! I'll be the first customer haha

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
As far as the ecm controlling the injectors, when I was trying to figure out what to cut for a kill switch, I cut 2 wires to the ficm that I thought were power wires. Neither one kept the truck from starting and running. Very possible I didn’t have the right wires but thought it was odd. But all this is above my pay scale. Would be interesting to see this play out.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I showed my son this, and he thinks he can make something. He just needs the schematics and voltages.
I could probably draw something up but wouldn't have all the values of components. And we don't know what the ECM sends out for control signal. We need that first then we can build the circuit around that. We need someone with an LLY or LB7 to scope the signal. Would also be nice to measure the current draw of the whole FICM to see what we are working with. We should be able to get an average working current for each injector that way. May have to measure at different RPMs and loads to see where it is highest

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
And maybe you can explain things in relation to the capacitors, but injectors 6 & 7 have two command wires while the rest have one. I'd have to poke around again but I recall those extra wires being a larger gauge too. Didn't make sense when I was attempting to ohm out the injector harness, and it was reading open I think

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
And maybe you can explain things in relation to the capacitors, but injectors 6 & 7 have two command wires while the rest have one. I'd have to poke around again but I recall those extra wires being a larger gauge too. Didn't make sense when I was attempting to ohm out the injector harness, and it was reading open I think
I'll have to take a look at the FICM to see where those extra wires for 6 & 7 go. But I only counted 8 driver mosfets that where connected to the injectors. Is it possible the larger wires where the injector supply voltage?