LLY Ficm

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I also forgot the LLY community wouldn't let me in. Good thing I am going to do an LBZ Swap so I don't have to be associated with them...
My brother applied with his account to see if he can get in and read me the juicy details

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I am in the LLY group and would be willing to share and direct any sales inquires to whomever is building/selling them.

Hell I'd like to become a dealer haha.

I can probably get quite a few dead FICMs (both LB7 and LLY). I'm assuming all that is cared about is non-broken connectors correct?

Reactions: kidturbo

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I am in the LLY group and would be willing to share and direct any sales inquires to whomever is building/selling them.

Hell I'd like to become a dealer haha.

I can probably get quite a few dead FICMs (both LB7 and LLY). I'm assuming all that is cared about is non-broken connectors correct?
Yeah. Basically the connectors. But if the board is salvageable then no reason to sabotage it further. But if it's a reject I'll take anything at this point. I'm thinking at the beginning we'll have people send theirs in to me and I'll swap out the connector. Pit it back in the case, test it and sed it back

When we get a good handle on this whole thing, we can look at venders and other ways to support the demand

Reactions: Bdsankey

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Yeah. Basically the connectors. But if the board is salvageable then no reason to sabotage it further. But if it's a reject I'll take anything at this point. I'm thinking at the beginning we'll have people send theirs in to me and I'll swap out the connector. Pit it back in the case, test it and sed it back

When we get a good handle on this whole thing, we can look at venders and other ways to support the demand
I'll see what I can do. Both LB7 & LLY correct?

Reactions: 1FastBrick

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Reusable scraps are always much appreciated. Since we're most likely gonna burn up or at least cannibalize a few of these prototype boards along the way. So no need to solder a pretty new header onto bench stock.

Anything with LLY or LB7 cases, no matter how smoked up. That backplane with the correct fuel fittings is all we really require to build up a reman stockphile. The rest of the pieces are available, but those backplanes ain't stamped alum. They were cast, machanined, then robot welded together. And while this FUCM board doesn't require fuel cooling, majority of trucks that need one is gonna have stock plumbing.

We tried to cover as many possible bases on this first attempt hardware layout as possible. And not limit the design to just GM replacement duties. If you notice the long dip switch row for example, Jason has included settings to easily swap beween LB7 and LLY config with a single switch. But we also assigned 7 more for 1 bits registry positions, or 127 possible coded options. I evision a universal injector driver that can run any 4,5,6, or 8 cylnder common rail diesel. Supply it power, a crank, along with any level of injector signals, and our board does the heavy voltage lifting. With options to have added comms and safegaurds, or just let er rip 8000rpm raw urestricted with 3500us pulses if one so desires. The Pro Model.. LOL

Plenty of possiblities, with a little coding and a few test dummies not afraid of skattering parts. It should be fun. But at least we have something to start testing with that fits these old cases perfectly. Now if we can just make it run half as good as it looks..

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Update, got 2 coming already. Had a line on another 4 but he wouldn't take any payment method beyond CashApp so I said nope. "Venmo and PayPal hold funds for 30 days if paying goods and services".

Another local diesel shop has 3-5 so I'll be snagging those as well.

It's almost like the guy forgot I run a business and use all of those payment methods......................... Smelled like a scam from a mile away. After getting burned on a trans core I've given up on anything without buyer protection unless it's between people I know/have done business with before.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Awesome. I just need 2-3 right now. Then when we start on version 2.0 I'll need another 5 to 10. Then hopefully by then we either have a line on new ones or a good source of used ones

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Soldered in one of the connectors I do have and powered up the board to make sure the magic smoke stays inside. Took measurements of the voltage regulators and boost circuit. They work but running a little high. 3.3v was at around 3.8, 5v was at 5.8, 12v was 13. So I'll need to tweak the feedback resistor network. All usable but not ideal

I was able to adjust the boost circuit to sit right at 48 volts.

Not bad so far...

Reactions: N2BRK

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Thank you Brad
No problem, I'm happy to help!

The industry needs this. You and Ken have poured countless resources into this project (as well as many other individuals helping with pieces of the puzzle) and it's the least I can do.

I am a big fan of the 01-05 trucks and anything we can do to help keep them on the road and out of scrap yards is a major bonus not only to he industry but also the environment.

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Thanks for all the help Brad. When the Florida boys who've helped me out on Project Voodoo over the past few years hit me up, I knew it was something serious. They know everyone in the industry, and attend all of the big meets. So if they couldn't find a solution, I quickly realized it's national, and GM obviously wasn't going to address it..

I figured we could just swap the LLY OS onto the LB7 units, and at least fill the gap for while. So I follow up on that route, while Jason laid out this Upgraded PCB approach. Luckily he did, because we ain't swapping FICM OS anytime soon. It's just apples to oranges on that original Bosch hardware. And while China might dump something next month, I guarantee ya they haven't done the research required to make it plug-n-play. This ain't just some aftermarket headlamp assembly ya stamp out by the thousands..

So hopefully we can get this up and running quickly, and put a few out there for guys to abuse and try and destroy. Then we'll feel confident it's a viable solution, and you indstry connected guys can handle the rest.. Knowing at least my time stuffing Duramax's in places they don't belong, yeilded some value to the general masses..

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Thanks for all the help Brad. When the Florida boys who've helped me out on Project Voodoo over the past few years hit me up, I knew it was something serious. They know everyone in the industry, and attend all of the big meets. So if they couldn't find a solution, I quickly realized it's national, and GM obviously wasn't going to address it..

I figured we could just swap the LLY OS onto the LB7 units, and at least fill the gap for while. So I follow up on that route, while Jason laid out this Upgraded PCB approach. Luckily he did, because we ain't swapping FICM OS anytime soon. It's just apples to oranges on that original Bosch hardware. And while China might dump something next month, I guarantee ya they haven't done the research required to make it plug-n-play. This ain't just some aftermarket headlamp assembly ya stamp out by the thousands..

So hopefully we can get this up and running quickly, and put a few out there for guys to abuse and try and destroy. Then we'll feel confident it's a viable solution, and you indstry connected guys can handle the rest.. Knowing at least my time stuffing Duramax's in places they don't belong, yeilded some value to the general masses..
That's the goal Ken! I'm just the guy who knows people to find some of this stuff haha, you two are the real brains behind it.

Circuits and programming were my two most hated courses getting my BSME so I am glad I am not super involved in that part of this project. Turns out offering guys $25 per dead FICM with a good case/connectors really gets people interested.

I've got a great candidate here for a test mule that is a plow truck. Large voltage swings will put it through it's paces that's for damn sure.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I've designed these boards to run anywhere from about 9 volts all the way to just over 30 volts. So they can be used on 24 volt setups if desired. That is if the regulators work as designed. Still need to load test them and see how stable they are

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Random possibly stupid question. If I run a higher voltage alternator on a LLY does it put the ficm at a higher risk of failure?

It was the caps that were failing right? The LB7 have better caps that could handle higher voltage or amps? I tried to find the info in the thread but I can’t find it 😳

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Random possibly stupid question. If I run a higher voltage alternator on a LLY does it put the ficm at a higher risk of failure?

It was the caps that were failing right? The LB7 have better caps that could handle higher voltage or amps? I tried to find the info in the thread but I can’t find it 😳
LB7 FICM lowdown here:

Yes the LB7 is a much better bult unit. With 50 volt line capacitors and film capacitors for the boost circuit

The LLY uses 14 volt line capacitors, which always run in their surge rating, not good. The boost are 63 volts which is a standard rating for the intended use. Nothing wrong here. So, yes. A higher voltage alternator on an LLY will likely increase the chance of failure. But the LB7 one should take, don't quote me on this, up to 18 volts without issues. If I remember correctly the internal 5 volt regulator has an 18 volt limit

More information on this thread:

Reactions: dndj and gmduramax

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
PS: replace your 25 amp EDM fuse for a 10 amp. Especially if experimenting with higher voltage. That way if the capacitors take a sh!t, hopefully the fuse will protect the board from burning up. 25 amps is over twice what these draw. I've been running 10 amps in mine since we started this whole thing.and haven't popped it yet