Limp only when cold.

duramaximizer

#1 Abuse Enabler ;)
May 4, 2008
Edgerton, Ohio
I get a P0761 and a P0877. But it never does it once it's warm, and it never happens on the road, it only happens when I go to back out of the drive when the tranny is cold. If I waite until it warms up, I am fine. It just did it yesterday and then it did it again this morning. Full limp mode only 3rd gear etc etc. It does it as soon as I hit reverse, no I am not beating on my trans first thing in the morning. :confused:

I had a whole host of engine codes that are EGR related and I am not sure why I am getting them, I thought I had all those pesky things turned off. :rofl:

Last edited:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I get a P0761 and a P0877. But it never does it once it's warm, and it never happens on the road, it only happens when I go to back out of the drive when the tranny is cold. If I waite until it warms up, I am fine. It just did it yesterday and then it did it again this morning. Full limp mode only 3rd gear etc etc. It does it as soon as I hit reverse, no I am not beating on my trans first thing in the morning. :confused:

I had a whole host of engine codes that are EGR related and I am not sure why I am getting them, I thought I had all those pesky things turned off. :rofl:

You may have a converter drain back problem ( my guess ) or a bad pressure switch manifold or a bad solenoid which might be too sensative to temperature. NSBU may also be a possability.

duramaximizer

#1 Abuse Enabler ;)
May 4, 2008
Edgerton, Ohio
How do I fix these, and how much am I looking at? I have called you already reguarding a transmission build, but I may try and fix this all at the same time???

Adam Perry

duramaximizer

#1 Abuse Enabler ;)
May 4, 2008
Edgerton, Ohio
:eek:Bump as I am getting more codes now.

I will get the codes, but it was selenoid A stuck on, selenoid B stuck on, selenoid C stuck on, and a clutch slipage code. They truck will not go forward or backwards. The Reverse light will blink, the truck will eventually creep forward in drive with RPM/2000+-.

I will check for sure that those are the correct codes/ definations.
These only happen when the trans is cold. (25*)

FWIW I am running all stock programming in everything cept the DPF/cough.

Any help or is my trans toast.

It seems 100% when warm. I am totally confused. :confused:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
mine acts the same way. If I dont let it sit and warm up for 2-3 minutes and its below ~45*, its almost guaranteed the first 1-2 shift will be waahHHHHH-BANG...limp.

when its warm (or been run in the past 7 hours or so), its fine.

I Replaced the PSM, cleaned the valve body, etc. Maybe its my wiring? A valve is still sticking? Im too busy/lazy to deal with it right now...one of these days Ill put it up on the lift, pull the valve body, and really clean it out/ream out the shift valve bores.

ben

Last edited:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
:eek:Bump as I am getting more codes now.

I will get the codes, but it was selenoid A stuck on, selenoid B stuck on, selenoid C stuck on, and a clutch slipage code. They truck will not go forward or backwards. The Reverse light will blink, the truck will eventually creep forward in drive with RPM/2000+-.

I will check for sure that those are the correct codes/ definations.
These only happen when the trans is cold. (25*)

FWIW I am running all stock programming in everything cept the DPF/cough.

Any help or is my trans toast.

It seems 100% when warm. I am totally confused. :confused:

Check fluid level and make sure it is at the correct level. let it warm up for a couple of minutes and see what happens. What year is the truck?

duramaximizer

#1 Abuse Enabler ;)
May 4, 2008
Edgerton, Ohio
None, I run whatever was in it when I bought it. :eek:Maybe I should change it, but I was planning on building it, so I thought I would change it at that time. I had never limped the trans with my big tune on the street until it got cold and now it limps itself.

Good thought though. That is exactly what it acts like.

duramaximizer

#1 Abuse Enabler ;)
May 4, 2008
Edgerton, Ohio
The full list of codes

P0761 Shift Solenoid C Stuck Off
P0751 A Stuck Off
P0756 B Stuck Off
P0894 Transmission Comp Slipping

Thats the full list as off today. The first 3 codes were listed twice in the computer.:(

On Edit: 25* today and a minor snow. I feel a click by the trans when clearing the codes. They never reset once the trans warms up. 70*+

Checked fluid level at 77* per the DIC trans temp guage in park on level ground and it was at the top of the cold cross hatches.

Fluid looked fine, but smelled burnt. Very burnt.

Last edited:

duramaximizer

#1 Abuse Enabler ;)
May 4, 2008
Edgerton, Ohio
I put in a transgo shift kit and filled it full of fluid and seem to have no more problems. I did that earlier this winter and forgot to reply back to this thread. Maybe it was just a little low on fluid. If my truck sets for a week and I don't drive it, I do seem to have a converter drain back issue. :confused: