Limiting straps yay or nay?

Budneeds2beers

Aka Mike Honcho....
Aug 25, 2016
Cali
Limit straps are good thing. They can hold a vehicle height limit so during severe bucking you dont get metal on metal or jarring hits on components. (Saves shocks and bumpstop mounts and tabs) you can use them to angle a vehicle for say a launch. Lighter then strapping with a chain. The down side of it is they do deteriorate over time. The offroad crowd where im from use them quite a bit.

How they work for you depends on setup and testing. I have never used them for drag racing so in that instance i have no insight. Hope that helps some...

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
We run a set of properly valved AFCO shocks on my boss' 1500 horse cummins.

it 60's 1.40.

There is no need for limit straps. your using a bandaid for a shitty shock selection.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
We run a set of properly valved AFCO shocks on my boss' 1500 horse cummins.

it 60's 1.40.

There is no need for limit straps. your using a bandaid for a shitty shock selection.

Correct me if I'm wrong but a solid front axle will not lift as bad as our trucks.

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
No need for limit straps unless you can do a big ass wheelie and you want to keep the front end from dropping too far. As has been said a properly setup suspension with traction bars is the correct way. You want the suspension to do it's thing which is weight transfer to some extent, just slow it down a bit. Unless you run a locker in the front end, (not a good idea for drag racing) you are only getting power to one of the front wheels on a 4x4 anyway.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Correct me if I'm wrong but a solid front axle will not lift as bad as our trucks.

Which is directly related to shock valving.

Do you wanna hook and run the number, or look like the clown with the crew cab wagler truck who pulled a wheelie?

This isn't rocket science :D

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
I do have Brian's old Ranchos on my front. I can't really decide because I don't know how the front will lift with the slicks. I don't know if the Ranchos will be enough or not so it's hard to say. Plus I'm changing the caltrac setup for the slicks as well so maybe I'll do a test hit and see what it does. I definitely don't have a spectacular suspension setup so it might need a bandaid lol.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
No need for limit straps unless you can do a big ass wheelie and you want to keep the front end from dropping too far. As has been said a properly setup suspension with traction bars is the correct way. You want the suspension to do it's thing which is weight transfer to some extent, just slow it down a bit. Unless you run a locker in the front end, (not a good idea for drag racing) you are only getting power to one of the front wheels on a 4x4 anyway.

I know for a fact mine only puts power to one front tire. Because it smokes the side it chooses lol along with both rears

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
If you want to try them cause it's cheap, do it. There are lots of trucks out there running limit straps setup correctly that are pulling 1.5 60s on radials. It's a bandaid to get around shocks that do not have enough rebound control.

I run them on my truck when I hit the track. The rebound in my coilovers is by no means setup for the track so the straps help keep the front end under control.

When you put them on, have them a little tight at ride height for the track. They will stretch/give up to 1-1.5" depending on how many wraps are in the strap and where it's mounted on the arm (mounted on the shock mount at the lca means 1.5" of strap give is 3" of wheel movement). Make them so you can adjust them tighter or unbolt one end, twist the strap a 1/2 or whole rotation, have a big boned buddy jump on the front and bolt back up.

Shocks are the best way to go but not the only way. You gain more adjustment with shocks though.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
If you want to try them cause it's cheap, do it. There are lots of trucks out there running limit straps setup correctly that are pulling 1.5 60s on radials. It's a bandaid to get around shocks that do not have enough rebound control.

I run them on my truck when I hit the track. The rebound in my coilovers is by no means setup for the track so the straps help keep the front end under control.

When you put them on, have them a little tight at ride height for the track. They will stretch/give up to 1-1.5" depending on how many wraps are in the strap and where it's mounted on the arm (mounted on the shock mount at the lca means 1.5" of strap give is 3" of wheel movement). Make them so you can adjust them tighter or unbolt one end, twist the strap a 1/2 or whole rotation, have a big boned buddy jump on the front and bolt back up.

Shocks are the best way to go but not the only way. You gain more adjustment with shocks though.
Nice to hear, I'm glad someone is for them, if I had money for shocks I would do them but I don't lol and the straps were free at that. Gonna try them and see what happends