Lightweight Valve Bridges worth it?

calereeves

Displaced Texan
Jul 13, 2011
I was looking at the Danville lightweight rocker bridges, just wondering if they're worth it. I'm strongly considering the 3388AF, and figured if I'm spending the extra few hundred for valve cups and Ti retainers, what's another $480 for the lightweight rocker bridges?

I tried to research them and really can't find any info out there, nothing comes up in any of the forums, at least that I could find.

Any longevity issues on a DD truck?

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
I used them in my built motor that I daily drove for a year without issues. They are mainly used in our higher end competition motors that spend most of their time in the higher rpms where valvetrain weight will start to make a difference. Anytime you can remove weight from the rotating assembly and the valvetrain you are freeing up power. If you aren't going to be running above 4K rpms then you probably don't really need it. Hope this helps.:thumb:

calereeves

Displaced Texan
Jul 13, 2011
Thanks, Mark. I'm getting ready to build a fun driver with one of your 68 Stg2Rs, just trying to figure out how to properly outfit it so I've got the supporting mods when I throw an S480 -or larger- over the top.

I figured for the price, the ability to shed weight from a really heavy valve train was worth it, as long as they have the longevity for a driver.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

calereeves

Displaced Texan
Jul 13, 2011
What do the stock ones weigh? I saw the weight of the lighter ones listed on the website, but I can't find the weight of the stockers.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
How many ppl are out there running these or the Wagler system? Was there any noticable gain on free rev or power on dyno?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
I have Danville bridges on my motor, but never ran it with stock ones so couldn't tell you if it made any difference or not.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
What kind of pulse width have you been able to support with an LLY at 6000 rpm?

Back in the day when I was sled pulling I could rev pretty clean to mid 5k range with around 1800us.

You could tell that to much pulse made the ficm or the ecm unhappy because as pulse went up, peak rpms went down even though it made more power....

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
What do the stock ones weigh? I saw the weight of the lighter ones listed on the website, but I can't find the weight of the stockers.

Stock ones weigh 51.3 grams. Aftermarket are 33.5 grams. That's a lot of difference there.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana

Back in the day when I was sled pulling I could rev pretty clean to mid 5k range with around 1800us.

You could tell that to much pulse made the ficm or the ecm unhappy because as pulse went up, peak rpms went down even though it made more power....

Big injectors with lower pulse and the air to go with it make a big difference! That was on 400%inj and 1650us iirc. I was working on durability testing at the time with that setup.

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA

Last pull of the 2015 season, I ran a 4.1 Columbus Charger, ran 5200-5400 rpm down the track with an 11.9 or 11.7 final drive, that was 400% LBZ Injectors and 2250us duration (but still running LLY ecm and FICM)... Gained 500-600 rpm over the Hart's 3.0 we've been running with .5 faster final drive than we typically ran...it was quite the bolt on upgrade, lol! And seemed to love the rpm even with higher duration than we normally run.

I'd rather hit my gear right and turn 4800 rpm tops, don't see a need to turn more than that unless running over a 5" single Turbo. I'm looking forward to getting on a dyno this year.

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
By the way, for others who care, valvetrain weight before the rocker pivot point is less critical than weight beyond the pivot point. As light as possible is better beyond the fulcrum point.

I didn't know Danville offered these, or that the weight was that much different. I'll be ordering a set of these!

calereeves

Displaced Texan
Jul 13, 2011
I'm with you, Yellow Jacket. I bet they'd sell twice as many if they listed the stock weight for comparison. It's a no-brainer for me, even if I never increase the RPM range appreciably over stock. At the price they're at, there's no reason not to.