Lift pumps

mattv

LINETRASH
Dec 21, 2013
Phx
After doing a lot of reading, I'm still not a 100%....Best bang/most reliable for your buck...AD, FASS or Fuelabs? I know the Fuelabs wet motor is a unique and more durable design compared to the other 2, but also the most pricey. And how bout best price.....what say you?!:confused:

Muchos Grassyass.

Last edited:

mattv

LINETRASH
Dec 21, 2013
Phx
I read on the AD Website under the Q&A section, that running a 150-165 gph pump on a stock motor(~300 hp) that the high supply of pressurized fuel could damage the injector pump...basically if the demand doesnt match the supply. Any experience with any of this?

LBZ-DURAMAX

Jared
Feb 12, 2015
NW Ohio
Not a hijack...I was wondering about those too....was wondering if the extra cost was worth it?

I was reading on competition diesels and they were saying there nearly silent to the point where you had to touch the pump to make sure it was on.... But I value the duramaxs guys opinions ;)

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I read on the AD Website under the Q&A section, that running a 150-165 gph pump on a stock motor(~300 hp) that the high supply of pressurized fuel could damage the injector pump...basically if the demand doesnt match the supply. Any experience with any of this?

Why would it damage the cp3? The lift pump should have a regulator. But this is also why they had to revamp the design, pumps were returning so much fuel under normal conditions it was causing 1/4 tank problems. The Airdog2 165gph is better but they're having issues with the motor itself. Don't know if they've fixed it.

Also show me a thread where a Kennedy system was having trouble. Only ones I've read were from not being bled properly, and Kennedy states on his site this will burn them up. It was such a good design someone decided to copy it

LBZ-DURAMAX

Jared
Feb 12, 2015
NW Ohio
Why would it damage the cp3? The lift pump should have a regulator. But this is also why they had to revamp the design, pumps were returning so much fuel under normal conditions it was causing 1/4 tank problems. The Airdog2 165gph is better but they're having issues with the motor itself. Don't know if they've fixed it.

Also show me a thread where a Kennedy system was having trouble. Only ones I've read were from not being bled properly, and Kennedy states on his site this will burn them up. It was such a good design someone decided to copy it

The kennedy do seem to be the most reliable but don't filter out air. Correct?

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I'm 5yrs on a mechanical pump and love it. Tons of fuel! MITUSA by Opie

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I'm curious as to where the air comes from :roflmao:

IMHO its out of necessity because they return so much fuel and create a foam in the tank. But hey, I'm just a regular idiot ;)

If the pickup is submerged in fuel, you have no leaks, and the supply is under pressure, how would air enter the fuel?

LBZ-DURAMAX

Jared
Feb 12, 2015
NW Ohio
I'm curious as to where the air comes from :roflmao:

IMHO its out of necessity because they return so much fuel and create a foam in the tank. But hey, I'm just a regular idiot ;)

If the pickup is submerged in fuel, you have no leaks, and the supply is under pressure, how would air enter the fuel?

Guess that's a good point just a sump and fuel pump would work unless your tanks low enough the sump takes on air as the fuel sloshes around the tank and if your that low I don't think you'd be worried about performance lol

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
May want to consider upgrading the LLY fuel pickup at the tank, some have problems and some do not with the FASS or AirDog. I think part of the AirDog FASS motor failure is when the supply (suction) is smaller than the discharge creating an increased load on the pump.

The supply on the LLY and LBZ is 3/8 and is not enough volume to supply a 1/2 output and maintain the PSI, lack of volume on the supply side. IIRC the FASS and Airdog recommend a draw straw with the 150/165 pumps. Most pump applications the supply should be equal or larger than the discharge...

Here is a picture of the LBZ fuel pick up, the LLY is much different and just as small...
-
-
eki1kn.jpg

-
-
52z3ad.jpg

-
-
-