Lift pump

MaxComp88B

Mar 30, 2022
I have seen alot of discusions on this before but I am wondering what is the best lift pump to get for my truck? It has a tow tune and has a few bolt on parts. Stock fuel and air though. I have seen 1/4 tank issues with the 150gph and 165gph lift pumps. If I ever build my truck up I dont plan on making over 600hp. Will a 100gph be good enough or should I just do a 150?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
The 1/4 tank issues are resolved by a sump or draw straw. They are caused by the in tank pickup tube.

As for best, take your pick. AirDog is adjustable and smaller than FASS. FASS uses a bigger motor and thicker wiring but is a little louder and slightly larger. Both are great. Fleece is a nice pump but IMO lacks the filtration that is gained by FASS/AirDog. Fuelab and Aeromotive make a great pump but IMO it is overkill for your goals both flow rate wise and cost wise.

A 100gph will support 600whp no problem, there is no major downside of a 150-165gph on a truck in that range either. My most common pump is the FASS 165gph followed by the AirDog 2 4g 165gph, we sell the crap out of them both.

Reactions: MaxComp88B

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Brad, Have they changed the design of the Fass or the Airdog to allow flow through in the event of the pump failing??? Or is there a way to by pass incase it fails on a road trip?

I know the Fleece in-tank pump will at least allow flow through in the event of a failure.

Not sure about any others Except Kennedy. It's the only other one I am aware of with the Flow Through.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Brad, Have they changed the design of the Fass or the Airdog to allow flow through in the event of the pump failing??? Or is there a way to by pass incase it fails on a road trip?

I know the Fleece in-tank pump will at least allow flow through in the event of a failure.

Not sure about any others Except Kennedy. It's the only other one I am aware of with the Flow Through.
That's a great question that I honestly don't know. I know I have done some diagnostic testing of unplugging a FASS/AD while running to see if rail pressure comes back down at idle but that was for ~30 seconds. I have not tried to run a truck with a failed lift pump. It wouldn't be very difficult to cut the hoses and put a splice in to bypass the pump should the need arise.

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
I don’t know how old the air dog is on my truck but I do know it’s not the 4g model. I lost the relay for it and the truck ran but not real good. It would get you off the side of the road or even a service station I believe, but nothing requiring any power like towing or horse playing. That being said, a bypass wouldn’t be that hard to put in. Think back to the old super diesel lift pump. It had a 1 way check valve in a hose loop in case it failed.

Reactions: Bdsankey

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
The 1/4 tank issues are resolved by a sump or draw straw. They are caused by the in tank pickup tube.
every 1/4 tank issue i ran into was the opposite. the additional draw straw older systems had didnt have a sump around them and would starve for fuel. If the truck used the newer style pumps where they hook into the factory pick up and fuel system, they had no issues at 1/4 tank as the factory sump took care of it.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
every 1/4 tank issue i ran into was the opposite. the additional draw straw older systems had didnt have a sump around them and would starve for fuel. If the truck used the newer style pumps where they hook into the factory pick up and fuel system, they had no issues at 1/4 tank as the factory sump took care of it.
Interesting.

I know my LLY and LB7 both had issues when using the OEM pickups that were solved when I went to a sump. Oh well. I can see an aftermarket draw straw having an issue with slosh if it's feeding outside of the OEM bucket. When I've done them we've drilled into the OEM bucket to pull fuel from there like OEM but with an increased diameter suction hose.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
it's my understanding that the 1/4 take issue is from a cracked pickup tube that will allow air when the fuel level drops below the crack or the venturi on the bottom of the bowl has popped out allowing the bowl to drain back into the tank

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Can you remember when your truck ever used 100 gallons of fuel in 1 hour? For me and my 2008 LMM, that's about 3 fillups after the original tank was drained.
you have to remember that more fuel gets returned from the injectors and cp3 back to the tank then injected into the cylinders. but you have a point

Reactions: Ron Nielson

08lmm72mm

May 13, 2019
Saskatchewan, Canada

I have an old fass HD on mine for 10 years and it's one loud pump but I've unplugged it drove the truck around with no issues. I actually had the filters gel up last winter and I just unplugged and and drove around for a week like that.

Reactions: 1FastBrick

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
I inherited a customer with a fass on his '15 lml. Pump had been on the truck for years, 200k probably. He had been driving with the pump off due to bad wiring for a long time, with no issues.
I will say, if you drive off road or in salty winter conditions a lot, or never wash your truck, the pumps corrode up pretty bad. In which case the fleece in-tank unit is a wise choice.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
Only seen one customer with a fleece in tank unit in his LML. Put a gauge on it for curiosity and found the pump put out 18psi……!? Let me know what you guys have found these pumps put out when checking. I keep expecting it to leak one day

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Only seen one customer with a fleece in tank unit in his LML. Put a gauge on it for curiosity and found the pump put out 18psi……!? Let me know what you guys have found these pumps put out when checking. I keep expecting it to leak one day
Shouldn’t leak but it might cause the FPR to surge and engine to lope at idle.

BLACKMAX1

WAY2EVL
Jul 10, 2013
VA beach

I bought my airdog 150 in 2013 and when the pump failed a few years later I wasn't stranded. Flowed through no problem. Only way I noticed it was because the gauge was showing 0psi and then realized I couldn't hear the pump running.

TOMAN

Jul 19, 2008
My Fass 150 shit out today over 800,000 on it , been a SUPER good pump 22 years old , hope to get a warranty replacment ?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Fass was around in 2001? I thought they showed up around 2004-5?

Hey Jeff, you havent changed your sig in a while. Are you up over a million miles yet?