Lift pump and fuel filter delete

abishoff

Mar 2, 2023
Krum, TX
Had another issue with my fuel filter and primer housing. What do y’all recommend for a filter delete kit with a new lift pump and filter kit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I like the airdog 4g kits. They are quiet and the mounting system is far superior to the FASS IMO. Did a FASS and an fp100 airdog install recently and the airdog was way nicer.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Personally I prefer AirDog due to the sound of the pumps. The AirDog 4G is very similar to FASS in the fact that they're bulk fuel return. The AirDog 2 5G (AD2 4G is not made anymore) is a demand flow meaning it returns any unused fuel back to the inlet of the pump reducing the demand from the tank to only what is being sent to the engine plus a little for vapor separation.

As for removing the OEM filterhead a simple 180deg rubber hose works very well as James mentioned. There are some metal ones out there as well.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I don't like removing the factory filter head. Lots of guys seem to do it without issues, but I want to make sure the fuel is as clean as possible going to the CP3. With the factory setup you only have 3' of fuel lines after the filter before the CP3. Using a lift pump/filter as your only filter you have 15'. That just something I personally don't like.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I don't like removing the factory filter head. Lots of guys seem to do it without issues, but I want to make sure the fuel is as clean as possible going to the CP3. With the factory setup you only have 3' of fuel lines after the filter before the CP3. Using a lift pump/filter as your only filter you have 15'. That just something I personally don't like.
Plus the leaking air into the fuel issues with the bad gaskets and seals on the filter head is no longer an issue with a lift pump. So removing the filter head for that reason is moot if installing a LP

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Has anyone had problems with fass not self priming? I’ve seen three trucks recently where you had to fill the filters before you could prime the factory head.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Has anyone had problems with fass not self priming? I’ve seen three trucks recently where you had to fill the filters before you could prime the factory head.
Yes, I've had this happen quite a few times. I'm usually just lazy and put some shop air into the filler neck with a rag/blow gun. Usually if I install a sump I don't have that issue.

I've switched mainly to AirDog at our facility.

08lmm72mm

May 13, 2019
Saskatchewan, Canada
I just usually loosen the secondary filter on the fass and turn the key on until its full then tighten it up and gtg. My fass is old tho. Never had an issue using my lift pump to prime the stock filter, then again I don't usually do them at the same time.

abishoff

Mar 2, 2023
Krum, TX
How much money do you want to spend

Money isn’t the issue. It’s my girlfriends truck. I can replace the seals on the primer but I’m trying to prevent her from being stranded for such a silly design. Not sure how often we’ll have this issue but at 130k miles it’s happened 3times on this truck already.

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
Replace or repair the filter head, seen way to many guys delete it and have to replace to injectors cp3/4 shortly after. If you use power service 911 stop! Some fuel system additives are hard on rubber parts. Also don't use junk aftermarket filters they usually are 90% the source of the air leak.

Reactions: 1TRIKHD and 2004LB7

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

Yup, I brought this up a while back and no one believed me lol. They do NOT like to self prime for what ever reason. Air dogs seem to have no issue

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Money isn’t the issue. It’s my girlfriends truck. I can replace the seals on the primer but I’m trying to prevent her from being stranded for such a silly design. Not sure how often we’ll have this issue but at 130k miles it’s happened 3times on this truck already.

What parts are you using to rebuild the filter head?

JSimmsy

Mar 31, 2019
Ohio
I also am a fan of the Kennedy pumps. Super quiet. I have the twin mega filter setup on my frame rail with a Donaldson/housing I mounted before the lift pumps as a pre filter. Then deleted all the factory stuff. -AN8 ptfe line all the way to the CP3. This might be more expensive way to fix your issue tho. Could just run a single Kennedy with a single or dual CAT style filter housing after it. Might be the cheapest route if your looking to add a lift pump.

Reactions: gmduramax

Dean E

Mar 30, 2022
Blair, NE
Yup, I brought this up a while back and no one believed me lol. They do NOT like to self prime for what ever reason. Air dogs seem to have no issue
I have an older FASS 95 unit. It has been rock solid but about a couple years ago I started getting pressure fluxuations. I know this because I put a low pressure switch in the filter delete housing kit that I also got. My pressure switch was set for about 4 psi. At idle the pressure switch would start jumping around causing my LED indictor to flicker. Come to find out it was my pressure return check ball and spring that was causing my issue. FASS had made a change to there assy. It was a machined aluminum plug that took the place of the rubber ball of the pressure regulator return. Everything worked fine but when I did my S&B 62 gallon tank I noticed that I got to about half a tank the low pressure indication would stay on until after I started the truck. Dropping the FASS unit a bit lower in the universal mount helped but when the fuel in the tank got a bit lower the issue reappeared. I believe this is the norm for the newer FASS units. The newer design allows better flow for the return fuel that is not used but the rubber ball of the old system sealed up and would not cause an air pocket in the fuel circuit.

This might be what some are seeing in priming the pump. I will say that although the low pressure light stays on before I start the truck it has always gone out (build pressure) within a second or two of the engine running. Dean

Reactions: gmduramax