lets talk turbos

HOT ROD

Sep 17, 2008
ok so i have started this thread to get some experts in here to post about certain turbos and what makes them so great and what kind of hp they can lay down,spool time, drive pressure, what two turbos work the best together in compound applications for a certain goal and weather or not those two turbos have room for your engine build to grow with out growing out of them .

so lets hear it :D

also let talk about the maps of these turbos

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
I run a s400sx right now PN#177101 74/74mm

The map is to big of a file to insert

I kinda wish it was oil cooled,I have a 1.1 A/R T4 pedistall and 4" down pipe with 5" intake

It probably wont last long on my truck,since I have a bigger turbo to try out sitting on the shelf:D

I had a HTT and it was a great turbo,but I out grew it

HOT ROD

Sep 17, 2008
good deal , how much hp are u laying down with your turbo, also whats your max egt's and are u clearing up your smoke when it lights

codyn

Aug 26, 2007
urbana ohio
i ran a 42 hybird spooled great max egt was 1450 but i have bigger injectors. it can make upwards of 1000 hp or more on fuel if tuned right and max boost was about 70. but im running a custom 2.8 charger now which its doing good but still tying to tune the smoke down though

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
I've run the 68mm and 71.5mm Cheetahs so far and liked them both, But currently i'm saving for MPI Twins, I havent decided if I'll keep the cheetah as the little one or not, but i'm leaning that way right now. :D

FWIW, I cant say anything bad about the Cheetahs :)

HOT ROD

Sep 17, 2008
cody can u be a lil more specific about your turbo and what kinda boost u see so that noobs that come to this forum understand :hug:

its going good so far i would be great if we could find some twins set ups that spool like stock and lay down some power that best suits certain hp levels , there is so many turbos out there but u always seem to see certain ones pop up more and more on guys trucks, like the a5k for instance.

so lets say a cheetah 68mm and a a5k in a compound set up anybody running this type setup?

codyn

Aug 26, 2007
urbana ohio
cody can u be a lil more specific about your turbo and what kinda boost u see so that noobs that come to this forum understand :hug:

its going good so far i would be great if we could find some twins set ups that spool like stock and lay down some power that best suits certain hp levels , there is so many turbos out there but u always seem to see certain ones pop up more and more on guys trucks, like the a5k for instance.

so lets say a cheetah 68mm and a a5k in a compound set up anybody running this type setup?

hybird 42 is off of the gt 42 and it ran about 65 pounds of boost with efi live when i had the ppe programmer it was about 71 pounds of boost but it had a bad fueling spike with the programmer.right now the 2.8 charger is a custom deal same size as the ak5 and it will see up 51 to 55 pounds of boost.

68 mm and the ak5 are to close together to make a twin combo.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
good deal , how much hp are u laying down with your turbo, also whats your max egt's and are u clearing up your smoke when it lights

Dunno what the EGTS are but ya it will clear the smoke
I have a ton of fuel on tap so ill see next year what it can really do
I never did get the truck dialed in,but it should be close to 375hp:D

HOT ROD

Sep 17, 2008
:rofl: i know more than u couple of guys got after market turbos, wheres mcrat with his input lol how does casper spool and at what rpm, and do u have to light the turbo(s) before a launch

HOT ROD

Sep 17, 2008
man im havin all kinds of issues postin , it keeps saying my token has expired lol , maybe its my retarded ass

Smokin LB7

Jul 25, 2008
I am running an off the shelf S465. Its a 65mm S400 turbo, I am seeing around 1800 degrees and about 45psi with a single CP3.

What a/r housing are you running? I am looking at this turbo, but am a little surprised your EGT's are that big. Maybe its just me though.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
ok so i have started this thread to get some experts in here to post about certain turbos and what makes them so great and what kind of hp they can lay down,spool time, drive pressure, what two turbos work the best together in compound applications for a certain goal and weather or not those two turbos have room for your engine build to grow with out growing out of them .

so lets hear it :D

also let talk about the maps of these turbos

how much power you want? how much $$ you want to spend? what is the trucks main mission in life?

compounding the big charge is roughly 30-50% bigger then the small charger..

S300 and S400 are the most common variant out there. they are strictly oil cooled.
garrett are either DBB or journal bearing and either water and oil or just oil cooled. dmax is both water and oil cooled. they are normally twice the s300/s400 variant in cost new.