Lets talk tires.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
The OP need to narrow it down some way to broad of section of tires. I do like the idea of Biggers thought lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

2007 dmax

Mar 2, 2014
I’ve got a little over 40k on my exo grapplers and I should get th summer with them yet.. No complaints here bein 50k miles. If they last longer than that I want new ones:D

Budneeds2beers

Aka Mike Honcho....
Aug 25, 2016
Cali
@ james. I like the idea of looking at tire weight. I didn’t even think about that.

Well when im looking I see sidewall ratings that say bw or owl ect. Also load index 121? What weight range should I be looking for?

I wasn’t really looking for just a brand because I know some manufacturers make offbrand tires that are exactly the same. I originally posted this because i wanted to know more about tires and thought mybe i could help get information from some of you that could enlighten others about tires.

Here is the back story for my truck. Im going to lift it. Im looking for a set of 35/12.5-R17. I have a 28’ toy hauler. I dont tow it often or tow heavy for that matter. That may change down the road but for now I dont. I do cross the desert in the summer and as some know it does get hot and as we know heat and tires dont play nice. I do plan to offroad a bit more once its lifted. Mud tires are nice (44” boggers!) but not needed here. This is more of a fun beater that I for now dd as much as possible because its totally kickass!

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
The OP need to narrow it down some way to broad of section of tires. I do like the idea of Biggers thought lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Well, he isn't looking for tire recommendations like so many want to provide; he just wants to know what to look for in a tire and how the different aspects of a tire rating are significant.
Well when im looking I see sidewall ratings that say bw or owl ect. Also load index 121? What weight range should I be looking for?
BW and OWL mean "black wall" and "outline white letter". Load index is the weight rating of a tire. The higher the load index, the more weight it is rated to carry. This is different than a load range. A load range E tire is rated at a given weight at a max pressure of 80 psi where a load range D tire is rated at a given weight at a max pressure of 65 psi. For hauling heavy loads, I prefer a load range E like I stated earlier for better stability at higher pressure. With a taller sidewall, this is even more important.

Here is the back story for my truck. Im going to lift it. Im looking for a set of 35/12.5-R17. I have a 28’ toy hauler. I dont tow it often or tow heavy for that matter. That may change down the road but for now I dont. I do cross the desert in the summer and as some know it does get hot and as we know heat and tires dont play nice. I do plan to offroad a bit more once its lifted. Mud tires are nice (44” boggers!) but not needed here. This is more of a fun beater that I for now dd as much as possible because its totally kickass!
As long as the tire is in good condition, properly inflated, and not overloaded, you shouldn't have a problem with a good quality tire. I wouldn't worry about running a heavy load out here, and we get pretty hot too (maybe not SoCal/Arizona desert hot, but 100+ temps is the norm in the summer).

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Well, he isn't looking for tire recommendations like so many want to provide; he just wants to know what to look for in a tire and how the different aspects of a tire rating are significant.
BW and OWL mean "black wall" and "outline white letter". Load index is the weight rating of a tire. The higher the load index, the more weight it is rated to carry. This is different than a load range. A load range E tire is rated at a given weight at a max pressure of 80 psi where a load range D tire is rated at a given weight at a max pressure of 65 psi. For hauling heavy loads, I prefer a load range E like I stated earlier for better stability at higher pressure. With a taller sidewall, this is even more important.

As long as the tire is in good condition, properly inflated, and not overloaded, you shouldn't have a problem with a good quality tire. I wouldn't worry about running a heavy load out here, and we get pretty hot too (maybe not SoCal/Arizona desert hot, but 100+ temps is the norm in the summer).

i believe load range is not dependent on PSI. My KM2's i ran were load range D with a max of 50psi. My Toyo's are load range E and max at 65psi. IIRC the load range is strictly how many plys you are getting in a tire and what "range" of weight capacity the tire falls into, the load index tells you exactly what its rated for. more plys the better for hauling though like you said. i dont have near as much "rear end wiggle" i got on the KM2's.

beach_33

Feb 18, 2008
des moines, IA
i believe load range is not dependent on PSI. My KM2's i ran were load range D with a max of 50psi. My Toyo's are load range E and max at 65psi. IIRC the load range is strictly how many plys you are getting in a tire and what "range" of weight capacity the tire falls into, the load index tells you exactly what its rated for. more plys the better for hauling though like you said. i dont have near as much "rear end wiggle" i got on the KM2's.

Curious.... My ko2’s are set at 75 psi

beach_33

Feb 18, 2008
des moines, IA
what does the sidewall say for max psi? thats what Josh and i are talking about for PSI

Sidewalls say load range E max 65 psi cold. Tire shop inflated to 75. I usually let some air out but when I take in for tire rotation the always air them back up to 75. I’m not complaining though. Tread wear is even across the tire and like I said I’ve got about half tread left with 55,000 miles on them approximately

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Sidewalls say load range E max 65 psi cold. Tire shop inflated to 75. I usually let some air out but when I take in for tire rotation the always air them back up to 75. I’m not complaining though. Tread wear is even across the tire and like I said I’ve got about half tread left with 55,000 miles on them approximately

thats a big no no. out here that kind of thing will lead to a separated tire or blow out in a heart beat!

b16gsr

Jan 3, 2014
LS MO
So there is a SHIT METRIC TON of misinformation being thrown around in this thread. I am not going to point out specifics, except for the special order tires which I am :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: at.

OP I will be honest, you have listed a pretty broad range of info on the tire that you are after except for the tire size which you have specific on, that you will offroad some and the fact you have a 28' toyhauler. Those are pretty good drill downs for me. I sell a ton of tires and would make a suggestion as, I am assuming you are looking for a tire that looks the part as well.

So with that being said I would suggest the Nitto Ridge Grappler.

https://www.nittotire.com/light-truck-tires/ridge-grappler-light-truck-tire/

3195 LB carrying capacity, will have great looks and on road characteristics.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
So there is a SHIT METRIC TON of misinformation being thrown around in this thread. I am not going to point out specifics, except for the special order tires which I am :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: at.
Ok, I'll bite. Go to a tire store, and look at the BFG KO2 315/70R17 sidewall and see the speed rating. It will be R rated. Now go to BFGs website, and you will see they make an S rated one too. No one stocks it, but they can order it.

I get them through Discount Tire (America's Tire) no problem, just have to order it a week in advance. This has been the case for the last 3 sets of tires I've put on. No one here stocks the S rated version, even though it is almost the same price.

Where I come from, that's called a special order. Perhaps you were thinking of custom tires? That would be a bit far fetched, I'll grant.

Edit: Looked it up, they still make the two versions, but now the difference is only the weight rating. Both are S rated now. 113S vs 121S. Last time I ordered, it was 113R or 121S. I bet everyone still only stocks the 113S.

Last edited:

Budneeds2beers

Aka Mike Honcho....
Aug 25, 2016
Cali
You are all correct. In the point of, my questions are very broad and open. You all suggested nice tires. the Nitto is very nice.

BUT im not looking for suggestions in tire manufacturers or a specific tire. Im looking for information about tires. What to look for and to stay away from. Good vs bad. What certain symbols and numbers mean. I do like the fact that you guys are putting real life milage to tires. Don’t get me wrong i like the manufactures you all mentioned and ive ran most of these manufacturers tires on my race truck(desert truck). Even then i would buy cheap or run what was the popular tire at the time with no information behind it. If i didnt like it id just sell it and buy some teams boat load of tires and burn through them.

Thankyou for all the suggestions and help guys.

Hambone

Always learning
Jan 24, 2016
Florida
My personal favorite is the BFG AT
But after we had 2 blowouts on different trucks and they didn’t warranty anything it left a sour taste in our mouths...
We made the switch to Toyo MT/AT and have had great success
We go about 50k towing our 8k welding rigs on AT
Personal truck is MT and still has about 25% left on 37k Miles
I also drive a lot of dirt roads and burnouts though ;)
Coopers AT suck
Nitos Tera grappler didn’t last more than 30k but nice ride
Mickey Thompson are also a great tire but $$$
All that said these companies switch around materials so it’s constantly changing but right now I think Toyo is top dog

Tyler_LBZ

Feb 26, 2015
NC

OP I will be honest, you have listed a pretty broad range of info on the tire that you are after except for the tire size which you have specific on, that you will offroad some and the fact you have a 28' toyhauler. Those are pretty good drill downs for me. I sell a ton of tires and would make a suggestion as, I am assuming you are looking for a tire that looks the part as well.

So with that being said I would suggest the Nitto Ridge Grappler.

https://www.nittotire.com/light-truck-tires/ridge-grappler-light-truck-tire/

3195 LB carrying capacity, will have great looks and on road characteristics.

I'll second the Nitto Ridge Grapplers, I am currently running them in a 285/65/18 and really like them. Surprisingly quiet, great traction off road and so far they are wearing really well (~10k miles on them).

I've ran the Cooper ATP, BFG AT KO, and Toyo AT. So far the Ridge Grapplers have them beat IMO.

b16gsr

Jan 3, 2014
LS MO
Ok, I'll bite. Go to a tire store, and look at the BFG KO2 315/70R17 sidewall and see the speed rating. It will be R rated. Now go to BFGs website, and you will see they make an S rated one too. No one stocks it, but they can order it.

I get them through Discount Tire (America's Tire) no problem, just have to order it a week in advance. This has been the case for the last 3 sets of tires I've put on. No one here stocks the S rated version, even though it is almost the same price.

Where I come from, that's called a special order. Perhaps you were thinking of custom tires? That would be a bit far fetched, I'll grant.

Edit: Looked it up, they still make the two versions, but now the difference is only the weight rating. Both are S rated now. 113S vs 121S. Last time I ordered, it was 113R or 121S. I bet everyone still only stocks the 113S.

We have been BFG/Michelin dealers for 20+ years, there has ONLY been one version of that tire in a 10 ply and one version in a 6 ply.

You are all correct. In the point of, my questions are very broad and open. You all suggested nice tires. the Nitto is very nice.

BUT im not looking for suggestions in tire manufacturers or a specific tire. Im looking for information about tires. What to look for and to stay away from. Good vs bad. What certain symbols and numbers mean. I do like the fact that you guys are putting real life milage to tires. Don’t get me wrong i like the manufactures you all mentioned and ive ran most of these manufacturers tires on my race truck(desert truck). Even then i would buy cheap or run what was the popular tire at the time with no information behind it. If i didnt like it id just sell it and buy some teams boat load of tires and burn through them.

Thankyou for all the suggestions and help guys.

There is a ton of good info as well as a ton of bad info on tires that floats around everywhere. I have my favorites, and I pick and choose, but I know what works for our specific customers. From my experience based on what you are looking to do I made that recommendation.