Led cubes as high beams

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
As the title states, anyone done this on a nbs truck or 01-02. I'm talking about retrofitting the cube inside the lense. Looking at the led cubes with a smd halo from eBay. With a 22" light bar to match cut into the bumper as high beams. Thoughts? Ideas?

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I'm not sure what the light pattern would look like, since I am not familiar with LED cubes. It might not provide that much usable illumination. Or it might work fine.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
unless you are buying the nice ones that actually put out a decent amount of light like the rigid ones, its a whole lot of work for not much light increase. You will see more light up closer by the low beams but you will not get the far reaching light. surprisingly the drop in replacement LED bulbs work better in the housing.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
unless you are buying the nice ones that actually put out a decent amount of light like the rigid ones, its a whole lot of work for not much light increase. You will see more light up closer by the low beams but you will not get the far reaching light. surprisingly the drop in replacement LED bulbs work better in the housing.

I have the drop in bulbs but still looking for more. Really just looking for a cool factor honestly. Haven't really looked into the light patterns. I'm sure I could get a spot instead of flood. But paired with a light bar I would hope there would be a definite increase in light output. Just don't know how to go about it. Slice open the back of the housing or bake it apart or what

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I have the drop in bulbs but still looking for more. Really just looking for a cool factor honestly. Haven't really looked into the light patterns. I'm sure I could get a spot instead of flood. But paired with a light bar I would hope there would be a definite increase in light output. Just don't know how to go about it. Slice open the back of the housing or bake it apart or what

The Chinese spots are about as good as a narrow beam flood. They do not project light.

I can't help you with cool factor. I want things to function correctly if it's going on to look good.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
cubes are literally junk for anything but reverse lights...

If you're going to go through the effort of taking the headlights apart, do a proper projector retrofit. Nothing else even comes close to comparing.