LBZ swap Question about Vats

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Friend has an 04 LB7 That he swapped to an LBZ. He called me saying he couldn't get it to stay running. I knew right away it was VATS.

He swaped the entire dash and column along with the engine trans from the doner.

I read the tune out changed the enable to disable for VATS reflashed and it started right up and ran longer than 3 seconds. Owner was excited like a kid in a candy store!!! I told him he had the wrong cluster in it and he dug through his stuff and swapped in the correct one.

I noticed it had the Anti Theft light up on the dash.

When I look under P1631 and P1630, They are set to Non Emissions, MIL Off.

I noticed there is 2 options listed the same way. Also there is X:Not Reported, MIL Off

I choose X:Not Reported, MIL Off

It was off after the reflash with that change. Its been started a couple times after that. How ever, now he states it has come back on now. I didn't see it, just taking his word he is not mistaken it for the check engine or something else.

Anyone ever deal with or experience this before?

I am more versed on the GM gas side of things so any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• EFI LBZ option 1.JPG
    EFI LBZ option 1.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 22
  • EFI LBZ option 2.JPG
    EFI LBZ option 2.JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 19

Benny315

Benny
Feb 11, 2019
Backwoods, Savannah, NY
Did you try a bcm relearn? I used the original bcm in mine and did the reflash and it worked(stock radio). Double check the wiring repining under the fuse box also as that's we're it gets a little confusing, plus adding two wires to the obd port.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Did you try a bcm relearn? I used the original bcm in mine and did the reflash and it worked(stock radio). Double check the wiring repining under the fuse box also as that's we're it gets a little confusing, plus adding two wires to the obd port.

He used the 2006 LBZ dash wiring harness from the doner in the 04. No rewiring.

I didn't bring my Tech2 so I don't know if he used the 2006 BCM or the 04 BCM.

It had an aftermarket radio. He has an OEM radio but it needs to be programed to the truck so it will work. Unfortunately my laptop with TIS died.

Benny315

Benny
Feb 11, 2019
Backwoods, Savannah, NY
Did both trucks have the same exact options (power windows, seats and what not)?? The bcm may be looking for something that's not there including the factory radio. I would try leaving radio out or fuse pulled then try the relearn, sometimes it takes a couple tries.
He would have had to swap the complete fuse box and all the wiring for no repining of the harness. (Would have been alot more work for me since my donor truck was a 2wd and had only a/c)
I used this thread as reference... https://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27198&highlight=Lbz+swap
Hope you guys get it figured out.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Did both trucks have the same exact options (power windows, seats and what not)?? The bcm may be looking for something that's not there including the factory radio. I would try leaving radio out or fuse pulled then try the relearn, sometimes it takes a couple tries.
He would have had to swap the complete fuse box and all the wiring for no repining of the harness. (Would have been alot more work for me since my donor truck was a 2wd and had only a/c)
I used this thread as reference... https://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27198&highlight=Lbz+swap
Hope you guys get it figured out.

Yes, The entire Dash harness and fuse box where swaped out inside. I don't know if they were exactly the same options as I never saw the doner. From what I know and have seen they seem fairly similar.

I don't believe it's the radio. I have done this on the gas side with no issues.

But on the gas side there is not as many options to choose from in the drop down menu. I believe the original option is miss labeled in EFI Live.

I located an Airbag for him so I think we can clear the Airbag light. I will have to bring my other scanners and see what else may be present in the other systems.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
So Apparently the rest of the systems were upset that I changed the Vin. All the other systems where showing a security data mismatch.

I put the Vin back from the donner with the Vats disabled and no more flashing security light on start up.

He has a few mores issue's to work through but it should be road worthy now.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Hows that going to work for Smog when they hook up and it shows a different VIN? Or do you not have smog checks where he's at?

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Hows that going to work for Smog when they hook up and it shows a different VIN? Or do you not have smog checks where he's at?

Well Technically to make it legal they will need to get it re certified.
Shouldn't be an issue since its a newer engine that was swaped in and it's all stock.

Only issue is that he may not be able to get an appointment to do so with the looming pandemic.

For now it will reside in AZ... ;)

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
Was going to say, most of the time this happens it’s because the TCM power wire didn’t get moved under the fuse box.., but looks like you got it.

For others in the future with similar issue.

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.

In all my years doing conversions in Ca, I’ve only had one truck in LA have a “smog issue”. It is an 01 to LBZ. The state ref made us do a vin from the donor motor, and it had to be an exact truck match (07 dually CC) from a vin no longer in use on the road. It took a while to locate a vin, but all good now.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Was going to say, most of the time this happens it’s because the TCM power wire didn’t get moved under the fuse box.., but looks like you got it.

For others in the future with similar issue.

He used the dash harness from the doner and I believe all the fuse boxes from the doner too. He had the whole truck at one point.

He converted it from 2x4 to 4x4 so he need the module and push buttons for that as well.

I would like to do the swap on my 05. I think I talked to you about getting it done. I still need a few parts and the trans needs to be converted from 2wd to 4wd.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Only issues I see are the dash does not light up an display in the run position with engine off. It works in accessory and with the engine running.

And when the Fog button is pressed in, the dash and upper cab lights dim. I think he has short some where...