LBZ: LBZ Starts shakes then dies

bigmackmiller

Nov 30, 2008
Kokomo, IN
Put a DSP 5 switch and tunes in a buddies lbz, we got finished up, started truck, it ran for about 15 sec. Or so and started shaking then died, had him try again and it did the same thing, went and noticed it had lost prime so I pumped the primer and bled the air, had him try again and same thing happened, each time after it dies white smoke rolls out of the exhaust, I feel like it might be sucking air (fuel side related) not anything electronic related as I triple checked the pin location before installing. Does anyone have any ideas? If I did pin it wrong would it cause anything like that? Ran before we tuned etc... Didn't have time to troubleshoot tonight but was going to search for leaks put stock tune back in a recheck pins, he did say it was running rough here recently and started running stanadyne through it, but had been fine since

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Reseat ecm connections first, then inspect if problem persist. Reflash stock tune if neither works and disconnect the dsp5 switch, just cut the wires.

bigmackmiller

Nov 30, 2008
Kokomo, IN
Here's a quick vid double checked, pins in correct location, pulled ECM not seeing anything bent, wires appear to all be seated correctly

bigmackmiller

Nov 30, 2008
Kokomo, IN
Update, runs on stock tune, trying to reflash and test again, once it started I gave it about 1500rpm and then it cleared up and ran fine

bigmackmiller

Nov 30, 2008
Kokomo, IN
Spoke to tuner he could not find anything that is out of order, he had suspicion, that the EGR is sticking open, would that correlate to the video?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Spoke to tuner he could not find anything that is out of order, he had suspicion, that the EGR is sticking open, would that correlate to the video?

If it runs fine on the stock tune, it is 100% something in the tune causing it.

duramaxdiesel

Dmax Nut
Oct 23, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I'm with Josh on this. I've seen this happen before too. If it runs good on your stock tune, your tuning is the problem. Bad timing can screw things up pretty fast. Wait for a re-tune and go from there.

bigmackmiller

Nov 30, 2008
Kokomo, IN
Well guys thought I would update on this... Followed the tuners instructions and put a blocker plate in the EGR and wouldn't you know that fixed it, I do appreciate your guys help though