LBZ/LMM Path to power

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I agree to a certain point. A 2wd set up right can leave just as hard as a 4wd with a lot less weight and drag going down the track. I think power levels have a lot to do with it.

Get back to me when you try to leave at ~2500rpm on your full-out tune and that S366 lights. :rolleyes: You better have that suspension set up perfect and some very sticky slicks. What are your plans for your suspension/tuning combination to help soften your launch but not sacrifice top end power?

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
What are your goals with the truck?Are you just looking to max out what you can with the stock turbo?

Start with the basics, exhaust,down pipe,airbox mod,trans go jr or build the trans if you have the cash hanging around,(do the pump rub kit while the trans is out)Lift pump and gauges.Then get it tuned.After that i would look at the Allseason big air kit which is the egr delete 3 inch y bridge hot side intercooler pipe,a passenger side uppipe without the riser for the egr and a down pipe if you dont already have 1.Throw in an aftermarket intercooler and your about maxed for stock turbo. Dont forget tierod sleeves and cognito braces and anyother supporting mods.JMO

jasonsram

Feb 16, 2013
What are your goals with the truck?Are you just looking to max out what you can with the stock turbo?

Start with the basics, exhaust,down pipe,airbox mod,trans go jr or build the trans if you have the cash hanging around,(do the pump rub kit while the trans is out)Lift pump and gauges.Then get it tuned.After that i would look at the Allseason big air kit which is the egr delete 3 inch y bridge hot side intercooler pipe,a passenger side uppipe without the riser for the egr and a down pipe if you dont already have 1.Throw in an aftermarket intercooler and your about maxed for stock turbo. Dont forget tierod sleeves and cognito braces and anyother supporting mods.JMO

Whoa! Slow down. nobody give this guy my wallet, lol. that does sound like a good plan, but i have a feeling the first 6 months will only see a transgo jr and some kind of 90 hp tune, possibly canned, unless i get educated and then sold on a custom tune on the efi software. that should get me to 14 flat/ low 14s, but more importantly, will handle my tools on a daily basis with torque to spare on the highway that my gasser just doesnt have. trans build i was kind of hoping to do myself, but having no real experience, some kind of miracle situation would have to pop up for that to happen. i do know 3 people that build transmissions though, so who knows.

jasonsram

Feb 16, 2013
Stock LBZ RWHP 320HP
stock trans safe hp 410-420 ET 14.00 ?
front end upgrade pitman and idle arm braces and tierod sleeves
build trans and add lift pump 480-520 RWHP ET 13.20-12.80
Aftermarket turbo 600-650 ET 12.20-11.90
This is kind of the path my truck has taken. Never been on a dyno but track times are in line.

this was awesome by the way. thanks for the personal experience.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Get back to me when you try to leave at ~2500rpm on your full-out tune and that S366 lights. :rolleyes: You better have that suspension set up perfect and some very sticky slicks. What are your plans for your suspension/tuning combination to help soften your launch but not sacrifice top end power?

I know it isn't a pickup, but I have launched the van at 2200 RPM spraying both stages of nitrous out of the hole and pretty much always have a very low 1.7 or high 1.6 60' time. That's just a stock suspension with all but the top 2 leaf springs removed, some front coils from a V6 half ton van, some homemade traction bars made out of tractor third links, 165k mile stock shocks in the rear and some cheap Monroe shocks in the front (because the shaft pulled out of one of the stock front shocks).

jasonsram

Feb 16, 2013
they have alot more weight in the back tho right? id imagine it would be a much better launch relative to their et's

07bluelbz

Work Hard & Play Harder
Sep 6, 2009
Beaumont,Texas
Stock LBZ RWHP 320HP
stock trans safe hp 410-420 ET 14.00 ?
front end upgrade pitman and idle arm braces and tierod sleeves
build trans and add lift pump 480-520 RWHP ET 13.20-12.80
Aftermarket turbo 600-650 ET 12.20-11.90
This is kind of the path my truck has taken. Never been on a dyno but track times are in line.

Sounds good to me but I have run 13.1 on the stock trans. I have been lucky I guess. I think on stock wheels I could dip into the 12's. I also have a 4wd though. Best 60 ft. I've ever achieved was on this pass as well.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Sounds good to me but I have run 13.1 on the stock trans. I have been lucky I guess. I think on stock wheels I could dip into the 12's. I also have a 4wd though. Best 60 ft. I've ever achieved was on this pass as well.
High 12's has been done on a stock trans but if beat on regularly they wont hold up. At the time I had my trans built I was running an 85 HP tune. I really didnt know what it would hold at the time.