LBZ High Idle Problems

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I guess more and more people are burning up their torque converters in the 6 speed Allisons. I guess this is because the fluid is too cold and won't flow. The stealer wants me to bring my truck in and get the TCM recalibrated, for a less aggressive warmup. So what is this less aggressive warmup, what does it change from the way it is now? Thanks. :confused:

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
I guess more and more people are burning up their torque converters in the 6 speed Allisons. I guess this is because the fluid is too cold and won't flow. The stealer wants me to bring my truck in and get the TCM recalibrated, for a less aggressive warmup. So what is this less aggressive warmup, what does it change from the way it is now? Thanks. :confused:

Listen to Mike not me.

Last edited:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I would let them do it. The way it is calibrated now, C3 and C4 are applied which puts the Alli in 2 gears at once ( bound up ). This puts a load on the converter and heats up the fluid quicker. TCM reads its temps from the sensor on valve body so when the fluid warms up in the pan the TCM says you're good to go. Problem is; Dex 6 freezes at -40F ( sooner than Dex 3 or synthetic ) and solidifies in the trans cooler , which is a stacked plate design and won't allow fluid till it heats up and expands these plates. Fluid cannot escape out of the converter which will overheat badly, and this fluid that should be flowing from the converter into the cooler leaves the geartrain totaly dry because that fluid IS YOR LUBE. :eek: You are screwed. Dex 6 was never tested in cold weather. I never liked Dex 6 and neither did Allison. This was GM bean counters call to do this. Dex 6 does not allow your clutches to hold as well as TES 295 fluid ( TranSynd or its equal ). Some people take the owners manual as the holy grail and swear by Dex 6. If you are one of these people, at least go out there and buy synthetic Dex 6 so you stand a chance in freezing weather.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
I would let them do it. The way it is calibrated now, C3 and C4 are applied which puts the Alli in 2 gears at once ( bound up ). This puts a load on the converter and heats up the fluid quicker. TCM reads its temps from the sensor on valve body so when the fluid warms up in the pan the TCM says you're good to go. Problem is; Dex 6 freezes at -40F ( sooner than Dex 3 or synthetic ) and solidifies in the trans cooler , which is a stacked plate design and won't allow fluid till it heats up and expands these plates. Fluid cannot escape out of the converter which will overheat badly, and this fluid that should be flowing from the converter into the cooler leaves the geartrain totaly dry because that fluid IS YOR LUBE. :eek: You are screwed. Dex 6 was never tested in cold weather. I never liked Dex 6 and neither did Allison. This was GM bean counters call to do this. Dex 6 does not allow your clutches to hold as well as TES 295 fluid ( TranSynd or its equal ). Some people take the owners manual as the holy grail and swear by Dex 6. If you are one of these people, at least go out there and buy synthetic Dex 6 so you stand a chance in freezing weather.

Mike how will a reprogram solve this?

partsguy662

blowup doll salesman
Aug 14, 2006
Mike, is there such a thing as non-synthetic Dex 6 :confused: I know Valvoline's Dex six (part number 370) is synthetic.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Maybe during the reprogram they can get rid of my traction control crap!!

serpa4

Feb 5, 2007
What is the best stuff to run in the 6sp alli? Since I have the SC IV in there, warrenty is out the window anyway. Might as well put the best in there if its not the Dex 6. Mine is full of the Dex 6 from the dealer when I put the SC4 in. Not sure if its synth or not.

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Thanks everyone. I plan to switch to Amsoil Torque Drive this summer while I figure out better tranny lines. Looks like I will be making an appointment to get my TCM reflashed.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I know I know. Chris is offering to hook me up. I should do it-I gotta beat Simon's 13.8 and his dual fueler 13.4 best times. And we all know why!! ;)

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Got my letter yesterday and called the stealer today. They can't get me in until March 20. Has anyone figured out what the reflash does yet? Thanks.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
My truck is in the hospital right now and it doesn't have the stock tune in it. I hope they don't try to do my update while it's there!!!

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
It was going in for a service and the front diff that grinds. Didn't even think about it.