Lbz Engine build

Ironworker15

Mar 28, 2023
Massachusetts
Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about it. They still have a 3 year warranty for one thing. And I haven't read much on their lack of quality or performance. Not saying it isn't true or anything just that I haven't seen anything about it until now. My injectors have been great since day one and balance rates are all within -1 +1. That doesn't mean everything but it sure idles smooth. Didn't have any trouble tuning at all. If their quality has really tanked , it's only a matter of time before it's common knowledge and that will put an end to that . Internet doesn't allow people to sell junk these days ,for the most part anyway. And thanks for the compliment, I've put new doors, fenders and a bed on this truck as it was from upstate New York originally and was a pile of rot at first. Been a fun toy for sure , just want to make sure she lasts long enough to give to my eldest daughter when she turns 18 in a few years! What a birthday that'll be!

wydopenLb7

Mar 10, 2023
California
Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about it. They still have a 3 year warranty for one thing. And I haven't read much on their lack of quality or performance. Not saying it isn't true or anything just that I haven't seen anything about it until now. My injectors have been great since day one and balance rates are all within -1 +1. That doesn't mean everything but it sure idles smooth. Didn't have any trouble tuning at all. If their quality has really tanked , it's only a matter of time before it's common knowledge and that will put an end to that . Internet doesn't allow people to sell junk these days ,for the most part anyway. And thanks for the compliment, I've put new doors, fenders and a bed on this truck as it was from upstate New York originally and was a pile of rot at first. Been a fun toy for sure , just want to make sure she lasts long enough to give to my eldest daughter when she turns 18 in a few years! What a birthday that'll be!
The warranty is nice but unfortunately on the Lb7 I think I'd rather pay for a new injector or two than pull the valve covers again in the truck haha. I'm glad I did it though, I know the truck much better now.

Mine could use some doors and a bed also but they are hard to find clean ones for a reasonable price. Mines a white 04 with 330k on it so it has the typical peeling paint starting. If I can find a good deal on a clean bed I might try painting the whole truck myself. My last truck was an 04 1500 gasser with an HD hood and grill in the same color as yours and I think it's my favorite..

Ironworker15

Mar 28, 2023
Massachusetts
For sure. Those LB7 injectors are a project. Not sure what Isuzu/GM was thinking on that one. Don't know where you're from but Car-part.com allows you to search any area code. I bought my parts in North Carolina for cheap and had a buddy pick em up on his was back from a delivery.

Reactions: wydopenLb7

buick455

Sep 26, 2010
I have heard of the Brian Crower rods but I don't know if I recall of anyone running them? I'm not saying they're bad, I just haven't heard of many/any running them. The $1200 is pretty darn cheap.

Ironworker15

Mar 28, 2023
Massachusetts
A few years ago, there was a place called Creatures of the Night performance and the owner Henry sold a lot of them. That's what I read on this and other sites. After speaking with a few other guys they didn't have anything bad to say about them. They look like the Wagler rods. Probably made by the same foundry honestly as there isn't many around making connecting rods. They're rated at 1800hp. But I would say 1500 is doable with them. Here's a few shots of em

Attachments

• KIMG4671.JPG
    KIMG4671.JPG
    199.5 KB · Views: 31
  • KIMG4672.JPG
    KIMG4672.JPG
    198.7 KB · Views: 27
  • KIMG4666.JPG
    KIMG4666.JPG
    193.5 KB · Views: 25
  • KIMG4665.JPG
    KIMG4665.JPG
    197.9 KB · Views: 29
Reactions: buick455

Ironworker15

Mar 28, 2023
Massachusetts
Here's a few more. They're pretty stout. A little heavy compared to Carillos and I'd guess around the same weight as Wagler or Socal. Never read about anyone breaking one. One of the techs at Crower told me they're 1800 HP capable. Engine hp not wheel. Not sure if they have been run to those numbers before and it's probably just computer data numbers. But I haven't found anything about them negative thus far. For the price , I don't think you can go wrong. I wouldn't of paid retail and would of went with Carillos or Howards for that kinda money. But it.saved me a few bucks to put towards billet mains and machine work. I will keep you posted on how they balance out and hold up.

Attachments

• KIMG5334.JPG
    KIMG5334.JPG
    175.2 KB · Views: 26
  • KIMG5332.JPG
    KIMG5332.JPG
    159.8 KB · Views: 24
  • KIMG5333.JPG
    KIMG5333.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 27

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I saw those too and considered them. But like you, I couldn't find any feedback on line of any one that actually used them. I agree the price is great but the meer fact that they are discontinuing them had me a little on edge. Not saying they won't hold up, but what if I needed to replace one in the future? I would hate to have to spend the money 2x if something happened. If the price drops a little more, I would take that chance. I am not looking to push that much power so I think I would be just fine.

Its hard to compete in that market, they are known more for there import stuff.

Even the Callies dmax rods are few bucks less and they are out of stock right now...

Ironworker15

Mar 28, 2023
Massachusetts
I saw those too and considered them. But like you, I couldn't find any feedback on line of any one that actually used them. I agree the price is great but the meer fact that they are discontinuing them had me a little on edge. Not saying they won't hold up, but what if I needed to replace one in the future? I would hate to have to spend the money 2x if something happened. If the price drops a little more, I would take that chance. I am not looking to push that much power so I think I would be just fine.

Its hard to compete in that market, they are known more for there import stuff.

Even the Callies dmax rods are few bucks less and they are out of stock right now...
Thats exactly what the tech at BC told me. They were a slow moving product for them due to the fact that they mainly deal in imports as you stated. If you go back and look at posts from a few years ago there were a few guys running them without issue. Only thing I could find was the wrist pin bores needed sanding on a few. I mic'd mine out and they're spot on. Obviously I would hate to have an issue , especially with something this expensive, but if one broke , I sure as shit wouldn't be looking for a replacement, I'd be going to another product. Callie's rods are looking like a good deal as well but are most likely made over seas and they probably have trouble keeping supplies up. I was told the BC rods were forged in the US by their techs. Is that true? I couldn't say. But they sure look very similar to Waglers rods and they have them made at Trenton Forging. So I wouldn't doubt of they also made these and BC re branded them as is very common in diesel aftermarket parts.

Ironworker15

Mar 28, 2023
Massachusetts
Thats exactly what the tech at BC told me. They were a slow moving product for them due to the fact that they mainly deal in imports as you stated. If you go back and look at posts from a few years ago there were a few guys running them without issue. Only thing I could find was the wrist pin bores needed sanding on a few. I mic'd mine out and they're spot on. Obviously I would hate to have an issue , especially with something this expensive, but if one broke , I sure as shit wouldn't be looking for a replacement, I'd be going to another product. Callie's rods are looking like a good deal as well but are most likely made over seas and they probably have trouble keeping supplies up. I was told the BC rods were forged in the US by their techs. Is that true? I couldn't say. But they sure look very similar to Waglers rods and they have them made at Trenton Forging. So I wouldn't doubt of they also made these and BC re branded them as is very common in diesel aftermarket parts.
https://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/threads/brian-crower-rod-discussion.75010/
Here's one I found that made the decision easier.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Most forgings are done overseas. I believe only wagler are done here. I have heard they occasional have dimensional issues with pin bosses or the big end just like other companies.

I will check your link out too as I am still curious about them.

I have used BC parts on import stuff in the past with no issue. I know they have good quality.

Reactions: Ironworker15

Ironworker15

Mar 28, 2023
Massachusetts
I figured it's still a big name company. Even if not a big name diesel company. I found enough good information on them to give it a shot. If they don't work out and I window the block , I'm the village idiot who tried to save a buck. If they work out , then I'll be able to take my wife out for dinner in a 900 HP pickup truck. Life's an adventure for sure.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I dont think you will have a problem with the rod it self but if something else breaks like post number 13 in that thread, it could damage a rod beyond use. Not saying it will.

I just like to be prepared

Ironworker15

Mar 28, 2023
Massachusetts
I dont think you will have a problem with the rod it self but if something else breaks like post number 13 in that thread, it could damage a rod beyond use. Not saying it will.

I just like to be prepared
I contemplated buying a 2nd set just for that reason. As the cost is still cheaper than comparable options! At the end of the day, these are the risks we take trying to build these trucks. Even with the best parts and the best builders , there are always things that can and will go wrong. That is what is steering me away from shooting for that 1000 HP mark. I'm sure the engine will handle it but it won't last forever. I feel my build plans will be a solid 850 plus and be able to live a decently long life as long as I keep my head on straight with it. Good talk👍

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
BC rods are a great connecting rod, especially at a $1200 price point. They've been around awhile.

I've used my fair share of Wagler and SoCal street rods. The SoCal rods are proven to hold 1500hp+. For an honest 1000whp you won't hurt Callies, Wagler, SoCal, Crower, Boostline, Carrillo, Howards etc.

Ironworker15

Mar 28, 2023
Massachusetts
BC rods are a great connecting rod, especially at a $1200 price point. They've been around awhile.

I've used my fair share of Wagler and SoCal street rods. The SoCal rods are proven to hold 1500hp+. For an honest 1000whp you won't hurt Callies, Wagler, SoCal, Crower, Boostline, Carrillo, Howards etc.
Thank you for the honesty info! I'm sure they'll sell out quickly at this price. If I was in the business of building these engines I'd sure as shit take advantage of the deal. With the cost of parts and labor these days , it was nice to get a little break. I was planning on spending the $2500 or so on Carillos or Howards until I found these. Ended up spending the extra on billet mains and studs. 👍👍

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Thank you for the honesty info! I'm sure they'll sell out quickly at this price. If I was in the business of building these engines I'd sure as shit take advantage of the deal. With the cost of parts and labor these days , it was nice to get a little break. I was planning on spending the $2500 or so on Carillos or Howards until I found these. Ended up spending the extra on billet mains and studs. 👍👍
Too bad Howard's doesn't make their rods anymore :(

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
DHD has them in stock according to their website. I do like the X-beam concept and the wrist pin oiling hole is a bonus.
There are some new sets out there but I am saying Howard's hasn't produced new rods for the duramax platform in years. Pin oiling and not being able to find a report of a bent/broken one from HP is what made me get them for my build, plus the fact I found them used for $800 helped too.

Ironworker15

Mar 28, 2023
Massachusetts
There are some new sets out there but I am saying Howard's hasn't produced new rods for the duramax platform in years. Pin oiling and not being able to find a report of a bent/broken one from HP is what made me get them for my build, plus the fact I found them used for $800 helped too.
Ahh I gotcha. That's a shame. Probably for the same reason BC stopped making em. Just not enough people buying them these days. With Carillos being the go to or even Waglers more expensive rods its hard to compete in that high end market I'm sure. Callie's new rods look promising and they're a great price. I was actually thinking about running them but couldn't find anything on em. I am running their stage 2 camshaft though that DHD recommend. Should really wake up the truck running twins they said. Especially since I have a 2300 stall converter. I'm really excited to get this thing running.

Ironworker15

Mar 28, 2023
Massachusetts
Picked these up today! Finally got all my ducks in a row for this build. I find myself just starting at this pile of parts with a big smile on my face. Can't wait to get all this to the machine shop. Been a long time coming. At the end of it all , I'll have a little over $13k into this engine including parts, machine shop, labor, ect. I got deals where I could and waited for sales on the rest. I'll keep y'all posted on any progress.

Attachments

• KIMG5408.JPG
    KIMG5408.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 27
  • KIMG5409.JPG
    KIMG5409.JPG
    230.6 KB · Views: 26
  • KIMG5410.JPG
    KIMG5410.JPG
    233.6 KB · Views: 26
  • KIMG5412.JPG
    KIMG5412.JPG