Brian Crower rod discussion

bbolden516

Jan 21, 2017
Derby Kansas
I recently did a mild build on my 06 LBZ, and put Brian Crowler Rods in so the stockers are just sitting here, motor had 233k on it, cause for rebuild burnt a hole in #8 piston.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Do us all a favor and keep us informed how the BC rods work out for you. Would be nice to have some first-hand information on those..

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Those were DmaxTuner rods. I havent heard anything factual on the BC ones yet. I figure it would be nice to know. We need to get back to being a performance forum, not a "fix it" one.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Those were DmaxTuner rods. I havent heard anything factual on the BC ones yet. I figure it would be nice to know. We need to get back to being a performance forum, not a "fix it" one.

I agree, but these trucks are getting older and less attractive to modify. Unless the parts prices come down I don't see it happening. I personaly just started to compile LS parts bc it's not ridiculously expensive...

bbolden516

Jan 21, 2017
Derby Kansas
Henry from Creaturesofthenight told me these are pretty good for where I was shooting, 700 to 750 hp, my build has mahle cast performance pistons, the Brian Crowler Rods and mahle gasket and bearing sets all of which came from Creaturesofthenight for right at 4k shipped. The Brian Crowler Rods are $1942.50 at Creaturesofthenight. I had my machine shop bore my block .20 over, balance rotating assembly, line hone and head job. I found another local machine shop that cut the stock cam and crank for key ways. I put ARP's in the mains, heads, and crank to flywheel and balancer. According toBrian Crowler's web site the rods are 4340 billet steel and rated for 200 hp per cylinder, I doubt they are that good but as long as they hold what im trying to do im good. I will keep you guys posted on how the Brian Crowler Rods do.

DylOrr

May 26, 2010
Kinderhook, IL
Cluttering up the thread but local truck to me was built with crowers back in 2010, has been through a few motors for different reasons (piston failure, crank failure) and still has the rods in them. It should make north of 1000 now with a s475/thumper 98mm twin kit and still hasn't had an issue with the crowers. :thumb:

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Henry from Creaturesofthenight told me these are pretty good for where I was shooting, 700 to 750 hp, my build has mahle cast performance pistons, the Brian Crowler Rods and mahle gasket and bearing sets all of which came from Creaturesofthenight for right at 4k shipped. The Brian Crowler Rods are $1942.50 at Creaturesofthenight. I had my machine shop bore my block .20 over, balance rotating assembly, line hone and head job. I found another local machine shop that cut the stock cam and crank for key ways. I put ARP's in the mains, heads, and crank to flywheel and balancer. According toBrian Crowler's web site the rods are 4340 billet steel and rated for 200 hp per cylinder, I doubt they are that good but as long as they hold what im trying to do im good. I will keep you guys posted on how the Brian Crowler Rods do.

I appreciate it. Most people confuse the BC rods with the regular Crowers. We all know what the regular Crowers can handle, but we havent ever gotten any hard data on what the BC rods can.

I separated the BC rod discussion from the forsale thread, and moved it into Hard Parts. Thanks for any info. :)

Last edited:

unionmax481

hot rodder
Aug 8, 2014
lebanon in
I've got about 8k miles on my bc rods just shy of 800hp.I tow and plow snow with the truck also.I it's never had a easy life. I did have a engine failure about 3k miles into the first engine broke a valve which took out the head and piston at high rpm and all the rods check out good except the the #2 which is where the failure was. bc had good customer service and was fast on the turn around for a replacement match set rod

weazel

Oct 5, 2011
Mason, TX
In on this. I've been very interested in these rods, but same as a couple of you guys have said, not a whole lot of info out there yet.

On my build, I plan on an easy 800. But probably going to shoot for 1000. So if these hold up to that, I'll grab a set!

Kunz111

Jan 16, 2016
I would give them a shot if they weren't so expensive. I wish there was a budget friendly 800hp max rod out there for like 1300 to 1500 bucks. As for now, I will see how these cryo treated lbz rods last.....

SickLL7Crenshaw

Billy The Kid
Mar 10, 2013
Mexico
Used BC rods in my LLY build. 1/4 mile time is in sig at 6800lbs 6000DA. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again for a truck under 1000hp. I've proved them to ~850rwhp. Henry put together the build list for me.

bbolden516

Jan 21, 2017
Derby Kansas
I am starting to feel a little better now about my decision to run the BC rods, but when I talked to Henry at Creatures of the night performance, I had no second thoughts he was very knowledgeable and was a big help, answered tonnes of questions I had with what seemed 1st hand knowledge on pretty much everything :thumb: I'm in the finishing stages of my build, its been slow, burnt the #8 piston last Oct and between work and going over seas its been a slow process, minus the machine work and balancing I've done everything myself, ill definitely keep everyone posted, cause Carrillo rods are awesome but they are a bit pricey. :D

Stancedlb7

Cummin Stroke this Duramax
Feb 9, 2015
SLC, UTAH
I would give them a shot if they weren't so expensive. I wish there was a budget friendly 800hp max rod out there for like 1300 to 1500 bucks. As for now, I will see how these cryo treated lbz rods last.....

The lml has been proven, I think anyways, to hold that kind of power. Only thing that sucks is you still need to do all the expensive machine work.

Kunz111

Jan 16, 2016
The lml has been proven, I think anyways, to hold that kind of power. Only thing that sucks is you still need to do all the expensive machine work.

Machine work as in honing, and balancing? Or is there other things that need to be done for them?