LBZ driver's side dipstick

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
I put in an MBRP downpipe last week with my own header wrap. In the process of trying to install the dipstick back in, I messed it up pretty good.

If I had to do it again I would have cut a little off the portion that goes into the trans (but it's too late now as the dipstick is pretty screwed).

I called Mike L to order up a driver's side dipstick and he informed me that "stock" they will not fit due to the glowplug module on the LBZ's and up.

I remember moving the GP module and the bracket when I did the downpipe, but I think there was a piece of casting there as well.

I'm without my truck for several days (til next Wed) and cannot look to see what is/isn't possible. Does anyone know if the pieces can be moved to make room for a driver's side dipstick or should I find an replacement stocker and mod it to fit (without kinking it like I did)?

If it won't work, anyone know where I can get an 06 dipstick tube cheap?

Thanks.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
There are two brackets that the GPCM bolt to. There is a stamped steel that the module bolts to, and an aluminum bracket that the steel one bolts to. The aluminum bracket can be unbolted from the valve cover. You should be able to relocate it to another location if you want to and make plenty of room for the dipstick.

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
Josh,

Thanks for the input.

Suncoast will nake a custom one for you for in the higher 100 dollar range. Call them.

I could call Suncoast but would rather support our supporting vendors if/when possible first.... Mike has helped me out over the past couple of years and I would like to give him the business.

Mike said he was going to look into it as well. I was hoping to, but don't have my rig with me.

This weekend I'm going to take a look at it. Most likely I will order the dipstick, remove the module/brackets, install dipstick, check clearances and available mounting locations, and then mount the module where space and connector length permits.

I'll try to post pics of what I do so that others can see what it takes and decide whether they want to do it or not.

Edit: Does the GP module ground via the brackets? If so I need to take that into consideration, if not it will make mounting location much easier.

Last edited:

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
The stock trans dip stick is on the pass side the glow plug setup is on the driverside. So not sure were your trouble is I sold a diamond eye downpipe a few weeks back and they had no trouble with there dip stick fitting. But the stock trans dip stick without the checker last time I checked was kinda cheap very cheap if Im thinking right