LBZ and bottom end

Durbin

Oct 1, 2006
Bowling Green, Ky
Alright guys I am needing the opinions of everybody on this one:hug: I'm running the mods in my sig and plan on getting Brayden's modded fprv or whatever for the cp3 along with an aurora 4000 turbo. I run the mcrat 50hp towing tune the majority of the time unless I feel like spanking someone on the street with the PPE or mcrat tune. My question is this. I plan to do alot of sled pulling next year and have heard all of the horror stories on pistons. I believe the lbz rods are stronger than past motors, but the pistons are having a problem with cracking that most are attributing to heat. I am thinking that the a4k + water injection will greatly help to reduce these problems but wanted more info. Also will higher rpms(over 4000) create greater or less risk? If anyone has any info to help me save my shortblock I would greatly appreciate it:D Thanks guys

Also for the turbo gurus, several A/R's are offered. Wade recommended the 85 but he also said there was a 105 or 106, can't remember which and just wanting to see what you guys would pick. Thanks again!

Ben46a

Wannabe puller
Sep 4, 2006
Waverley, NS, Canada
I dont think that anything you can do will "save" these pistons. We (myself and several others) feel the fault is inherent in there redesign and not necesarily power level related. Its run them and hope for the best or replace with LB7 stuff first.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
I dont think that anything you can do will "save" these pistons. We (myself and several others) feel the fault is inherent in there redesign and not necesarily power level related. Its run them and hope for the best or replace with LB7 stuff first.

X2 you might get lucky with the pistons your on the tight track with the turbo and water inj those would be good things to add:)

Its just ive been reading so much about the lbz pistons cracking even with out tuneing:(

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Personally, I think (and hope) that the LBZ pistons are getting a bad wrap. There's got to be some explanation as to why some people are having issues and others aren't. I think there's something everyone's missing. There are too many people that have had no problems for it to be a design flaw, but that's just my personal opinion. There have been plenty of LLY and LB7 pistons crack too.