LB7 with problems (internal)

MeanDmax

Ya, it's Fubared
Apr 16, 2010
So I have a 02 lb7, truck ran fine with stock injectors and stock single cp3. Decided to get into it more, put in 60 over tips, S471, head studs, dual cp3 and Banks Intercooler. Had ppe standard tuner along with module for 2nd cp3. Ran great for about 800mi. Than blew oil cap off, put it back on than about 100mi later filled crankcase with fuel. Took valve covers off, no leakes, removed injectors and they all seem good. Looked in at pistons with a camera, Shit. 2nd one from the back on drivers side is full of holes. Haven't taken it apart yet but looks like its melted. Is it common for melting issues, I know broken but ? I was supprised that that much fuel got into the bottom end just from 1 injector. I'm not pissed or anything just curious as to what might have happened. I know I was pushing it with the stock bottom end anyways. I guess I'll have to finish my build sooner than later. :)

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Im hoping you got your PPE tuner remapped for your injector tips?

Dual cp3's seem to be killing motors more and more often.

How hot were your egt's??

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
You blew the oil cap off and then put 100 more miles on it?

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho

How hot were your egt's??

X2

When you start using custom engine parts, the cookie cutter tuning is no longer an option IMO. 60 over injectors, a reasonable tune and that turbo should make that enigne last longer than it did.

MeanDmax

Ya, it's Fubared
Apr 16, 2010

How hot were your egt's??[/QUOTE/

Egt's were around 1350, and ppe was never reworked, truck hauled ass on the highway though.:thumb:

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
Yeah, that is a TON of fuel! I agree, you should sell that PPE programmer and purchase EFI Live so you can tune to optimise everything you have to work together, and hopefully make you engine live this time. Im surprised that your turbo didnt let go, it had to be running some pretty rediculous EGT.

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
Egt's were around 1350, and ppe was never reworked, truck hauled ass on the highway though.:thumb:

:eek: wow ya 60% overs and the ppe 225 hp tune pw im suprised it lasted 800 miles definetly ditch the ppe get efi live or tunes from someone :thumb: get carrillos and pistons you going to dd the truck if so i'd say cast mahles drivablity of forged pistons is still up in the air but imo cast pistons will last just fine with proper tuning the dual cp3s didnt kill your motor the ppe being left alone did

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
Why was the caned tune 225 h.p. a bad move? sounds like he had plenty of fuel.To much timing?

Thats 225 with STOCK injectors. Add 60% to whatever fuel flow that tune is set to run stock and you have far more than what would be considered reasonable, especially with a stock bottom end. So to say he had plenty of fuel would be the understatement of the day. :rofl:

MeanDmax

Ya, it's Fubared
Apr 16, 2010
Ya, it did smoke really good when the hammer was down, actually it was more like opening a valve on a barrel of used motor oil. I made 3 passes at the track and new something was way off in the tuning, just after that is when the cap blew off, I was planning on building this one anyway so, no big deal.

Any suggestions as to who to use for tuning of EFI Live, I'm close to Niagara Falls, NY, once its back together I'd drive 8-10 hrs ( without ppe) to have someone mess with it.