LB7 Towing Turbo

Hired Gun

Nov 20, 2006
Milford, Kentucky
I bought a HTT 66 from McRat, and it is a towing beast. It spools fast and holds well at all rpms. So far I towed 28,000 lbs of tobacco a month ago and it did awesome. I love it.

dieselson

Oct 14, 2006
Huntington Beach, CA
I have one vote on the PPE Garrett GT40R, tows excellent, and pairs very well with dual Fuelers. It spools fast and eveny, with no sudden surges. I love mine too.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Either the High Tech or the PPE GT40 are good choices.

The PPE is available with watercooling so you do not have to worry about "turbo cool down time", but both are very durable.

turbo-max

WaaaZaaaa
Aug 9, 2006
Tampa, FloriDUH
Either the High Tech or the PPE GT40 are good choices.

The PPE is available with watercooling so you do not have to worry about "turbo cool down time", but both are very durable.

even with a water cooled bearing housing it is still a good idea to cool the turbo and engine down a few minutes after a hard pull or long run. NEVER a good idea to "pull up and shut it off"
i can't tell you how many water coolerd turbos have pulled apart that where stil all coked up and the shaft all blued and purpled from the extreme heat soak back.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
This is why GM went with water-cooling, and according to Garrett is one of the features of their water-cooled chargers.

Yes, it is a good idea to allow some cool down time, but the oil in a water-cooled charger never gets as hot as a journal bearing does.

turbo-max

WaaaZaaaa
Aug 9, 2006
Tampa, FloriDUH
This is why GM went with water-cooling, and according to Garrett is one of the features of their water-cooled chargers.

Yes, it is a good idea to allow some cool down time, but the oil in a water-cooled charger never gets as hot as a journal bearing does.

they are both still journal bearinged turbos, just the center housing is water cooled to AID in the fight against coking, it's not a cure all, trust me... cool it down before you shut it down on any turbo.

LTChip

Aug 30, 2006
Thanks guys - Couple of follow-up questions...
Will either of these spool faster than the stock turbo?
What else makes them better than the stocker - higher boost pressure?

How would twins compare? (stocker compounded with a larger turbo) Seems that this would be ideal.

Turbotug

BEER SLAYER
Sep 3, 2006
Phoenix
The guys w/ the HTT, what size of tune are you towing with and how do your EGTs mesure against a similar loaded stock turbo run?