Lb7 to lly swap

Dkatubi06

Dec 30, 2015
Reviving this thread, I finally was able to purchase an lly body harness!!
Just waiting for it and to locate an ECM. I have another question regarding the overheating problem for the Lly's.

I do not plan on keeping the EGR cooler and valve so there goes some heat and plan on keeping a mechanical turbo for now. If I buy just an lly motor, do the delete, and maybe an lbz horn you guys think I'd still have issues?

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Reviving this thread, I finally was able to purchase an lly body harness!!
Just waiting for it and to locate an ECM. I have another question regarding the overheating problem for the Lly's.

I do not plan on keeping the EGR cooler and valve so there goes some heat and plan on keeping a mechanical turbo for now. If I buy just an lly motor, do the delete, and maybe an lbz horn you guys think I'd still have issues?

Lbz Intake won't fit on a mechanical turbo.

I don't know why everyone is so scared of lly over heat issues.. It's really not that big of deal, keep a clean cooling stack, a good fan clutch and good tuning and hook a trailer on it and go.. There's 1000s of llys running around not over heating..

Dkatubi06

Dec 30, 2015
I'm not really not that worried about it
I do keep up on my maintenance, I think I read somewhere the radiator was smaller for the Lly's. Or it was the egr keeping heat in when it should be out.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Lbz Intake won't fit on a mechanical turbo.

I don't know why everyone is so scared of lly over heat issues.. It's really not that big of deal, keep a clean cooling stack, a good fan clutch and good tuning and hook a trailer on it and go.. There's 1000s of llys running around not over heating..

X2 I have never overheated mine except for towing in the winter with the winter front on, Hit a chinook, -30 when I left Fairbanks to +35 in the mountains of Cantwell.

I have pulled in 115* degree heat to -50.

Dkatubi06

Dec 30, 2015
Alright guys finally scored an entire 2005 wreck.
I'm wanting to just swap motor for motor if I can get it to start in the truck its in( extremely bad shape hit on drivers side). If not I'll just swap top ends.

I need some input, or rather opinions from others. Alot of reading tells me to keep the VGT in place and some other reading tells me to keep my mechanical turbo. What do you guys recommend? And another question. Would I be able to take the TCM out of my donor and plug it into my Ben Tyler harness? I'm asking because I'd have overdrive lockout at that point and seeing how he needs to reflash the ECM to work with my 02, I don't see why it wouldn't work. I'd just need to run a wire and get an amber LED to know when it's on or off

Dkatubi06

Dec 30, 2015
So guys a little update,
I got my motor transmission and transfer case out of my donor.
It was a real mess as the frame was twisted and the transfer case broke off the back of the trans.

I decided to go ahead and tear the motor down to the shortblock. I had to take off the adapter plate as it had a small crack in it. So I broke down the top need
Altogether. I started to clean to block with a scraper. I got most of my gasket material off the surface. How do I go about removing the rust around where the gaskets stop? (Around the edges)

I also started to clean my intake runners y bridge and y bridge pipe it must have
Had a boost leak at one point as there was oily soot all over the y bridge and adapter. That stuff is pretty nasty. I feel one of those o-rings went bad and no one ever noticed.

Now, when I decide to bolt this back together, I won't be putting the egr cooler and valve back on, I'm probably going to weld up the intake. What's needed to not throw a check engine light for the egr? I see a finger stick needs a functioning egr valve. Can this be fixed with EFI?

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
So guys a little update,
I got my motor transmission and transfer case out of my donor.
It was a real mess as the frame was twisted and the transfer case broke off the back of the trans.

I decided to go ahead and tear the motor down to the shortblock. I had to take off the adapter plate as it had a small crack in it. So I broke down the top need
Altogether. I started to clean to block with a scraper. I got most of my gasket material off the surface. How do I go about removing the rust around where the gaskets stop? (Around the edges) I like using Roloc wheels, the plastic finger kind on a die grinder. Or you can just use some scotchbrite pads.

I also started to clean my intake runners y bridge and y bridge pipe it must have
Had a boost leak at one point as there was oily soot all over the y bridge and adapter. That stuff is pretty nasty. I feel one of those o-rings went bad and no one ever noticed. That oily soot is from your EGR and PCV valve. Do a PCV reroute and block/delete the EGR.

Now, when I decide to bolt this back together, I won't be putting the egr cooler and valve back on, I'm probably going to weld up the intake. What's needed to not throw a check engine light for the egr? I see a finger stick needs a functioning egr valve. Can this be fixed with EFI? EFI can fix that. I just deleted my EGR and left it unplugged before EFI tuning it never caused me any issues and no ck eng. light.

Answers in red.

Dkatubi06

Dec 30, 2015
Another stupid question boys,

If I swap my harness inside and out to the 05, meaning the body harness and dash harness, along with the steering column, would I still need to swap out my door harnesses and rear body harnesses? Or can I get away with just the main stuff?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Another stupid question boys,

If I swap my harness inside and out to the 05, meaning the body harness and dash harness, along with the steering column, would I still need to swap out my door harnesses and rear body harnesses? Or can I get away with just the main stuff?

everything would need to be swapped. your door locks and heated seats will not work correctly. so seats need swapping, whole dash and gauges, ect ect ect. also, the harness you had ben do and flash now most likely wont work correctly for the gauges, specially oil pressure.

Dkatubi06

Dec 30, 2015
Ok just curious, I did not have Ben do my harness and computer yet, I'm thinking of just swapping everything from the 2005 over.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Alright guys finally scored an entire 2005 wreck.
I'm wanting to just swap motor for motor if I can get it to start in the truck its in( extremely bad shape hit on drivers side). If not I'll just swap top ends.

I need some input, or rather opinions from others. Alot of reading tells me to keep the VGT in place and some other reading tells me to keep my mechanical turbo. What do you guys recommend? And another question. Would I be able to take the TCM out of my donor and plug it into my Ben Tyler harness? I'm asking because I'd have overdrive lockout at that point and seeing how he needs to reflash the ECM to work with my 02, I don't see why it wouldn't work. I'd just need to run a wire and get an amber LED to know when it's on or off

Ok just curious, I did not have Ben do my harness and computer yet, I'm thinking of just swapping everything from the 2005 over.

your previous post made it sounds like you already had it.

since you do not, if you swap the whole interior over, its just plug and play. be sure to use the 05 TCM as the OS in that computer is setup for ODLO based on that year and how its actuated.

Dkatubi06

Dec 30, 2015
your previous post made it sounds like you already had it.

since you do not, if you swap the whole interior over, its just plug and play. be sure to use the 05 TCM as the OS in that computer is setup for ODLO based on that year and how its actuated.

Sorry I didn't make a clearer, I didn't pull the trigger on the conversion
Harness yet, I have everything out of the 05, I knew for sure I'd have to change the dash and body harnesses. I just wasn't 100 percent positive
I needed to swap my door harness and floor harness. I wonder if the
Door harness's can be re-pinned at the junction blocks on either side of the dash.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Sorry I didn't make a clearer, I didn't pull the trigger on the conversion

Harness yet, I have everything out of the 05, I knew for sure I'd have to change the dash and body harnesses. I just wasn't 100 percent positive

I needed to swap my door harness and floor harness. I wonder if the

Door harness's can be re-pinned at the junction blocks on either side of the dash.

No, door locks and windows and so on run of a different setup than the 01-02. You can't just repin them. 01-02 is all ground trigger stuff, the later years uses data lines

Dkatubi06

Dec 30, 2015
Yea I'm just going To go ahead and swap everything over. I seem to have a slight issue with this VV turbo. I decided to take the exhaust housing off
To clean the ring and fins. I also took the solenoid out as well. Upon closer looking. I noticed the exhaust wheel seems to be welded onto the shaft. Is there a reason for this? Also, I feel like it has excessive side to side play. It doesn't touch the compressor sides. I Know a little play is acceptable. But how much is too much?

Pic of exhaust wheel

Attachments

• IMG_3556.jpg
    IMG_3556.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 36

Dkatubi06

Dec 30, 2015
Does anyone know if I can use an LB7 front cover on an lly?
I'm going to have to replace the rear adapter plate on the lly block as it's cracked. That includes the sealed and rear main. Im really not comfortable using
This lly block. I have another LB7 short block that I'd like too use instead I had in a truck I drove around for awhile so I know it's good. I'm still going to replace the rear main. I was just looking at the fronts of bothe motors and I noticed the LB7 cover appears different. Compatible?

Dkatubi06

Dec 30, 2015
My project is coming along fellas!!!!

I still have some other things to get, but the bulk of my list has been chipped away at.

Turbo is rebuilt along with an LBZ intake, new rear main seal and bolts are going in, block has been prepped, heads are getting new valve stem seals and a thorough cleaning.

For my valve stem seals, I asked an older guy I know who has a few track cars, I asked him if he had a valve stem tool, he said he uses a chrome socket to seat the seals. Any thoughts on this?

I must say, the Mahle gasket kit is very well worth the price and very well put together

Can anyone tell me what the gasket in the last picture is for? I feel it's for an LB7 downpipe but there's two of them in the kit

Attachments

• IMG_5279.jpg
    IMG_5279.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5281.jpg
    IMG_5281.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_5280.jpg
    IMG_5280.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5282.jpg
    IMG_5282.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 28

Dkatubi06

Dec 30, 2015
Can anyone please tell me where I can find the flat steel gasket in the picture

I have to use the oil cooler off an 03 Dmax.
I took it apart to change the cooler gaskets. The one on the lly has an oring type gasket this one has a flat one

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited: