Lb7 to lly swap

Dkatubi06

Dec 30, 2015
You guys are a big help with this and I haven't even done anything yet, I had an idea to just swap everything over from the 03 to the 02 i.e. All the harnesses needed- engine side body side dash side abs side all the computers and what not then when the time is right just convert my top end i would already be ahead

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
You keep mentioning that its not quite perfect, and then its perfect at the same time? :confused:

After tuning two trucks setup like this, I wouldnt touch the setup with a 10' pole. It made me want to throw my laptop at a brick wall. Granted, these were lower compression built trucks with big injectors, etc....but still, it was the stupidest thing ever. Spent days straight on it and barely got it to the "good enough" point, and Ive been tuning these trucks for 10 years.

Thats just my honest opinion, I promise im not trying to drum up business.

Ben

I've got 30+ trucks running around without issue or complaints. With the Cali smog Nazzi's, this is the easiest way getting around an LB7 since same year ECM is used. It did take more than a week to dial in the tuning in the first truck, even with Robs help. Would I start over and try to figure out tuning for a non stock truck, hell no haha. I have not asked Rick, but I'm almost betting his cold weather noise is LBZ regulator related (easy fix). I'll keep drumming up your business Ben ;) , if it's not an in house job I send them your way for the harness, even though I do both conversions.

Last edited:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I've got 30+ trucks running around without issue or complaints. With the Cali smog Nazzi's, this is the easiest way getting around an LB7 since same year ECM is used. It did take more than a week to dial in the tuning in the first truck, even with Robs help. Would I start over and try to figure out tuning for a non stock truck, hell no haha. I have not asked Rick, but I'm almost betting his cold weather noise is LBZ regulator related (easy fix). I'll keep drumming up your business Ben ;) , if it's not an in house job I send them your way for the harness, even though I do both conversions.

I can vouch for this. Russ and i talked when i was trying to get some glow plug ends (which USPS seems to have lost in shipping) and definitely suggested your harness for the LLY ecm setup :D

Dkatubi06

Dec 30, 2015
I can vouch for this. Russ and i talked when i was trying to get some glow plug ends (which USPS seems to have lost in shipping) and definitely suggested your harness for the LLY ecm setup :D

Bens conversion harness or just an 03 lb7 harness

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Bens harness

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

yup, i have an 02 so its not as simple.

this was a much easier route than like your trying to do OP. converting everything over means dropping the dash and so on and so forth. the 800 you spent on the truck is the cost of an LLY harness and ben modding it along with the OS you need flashed in the ECM. You still will need an LLY ecm/tcm harness and engine harness regardless if you swap your truck to 03 electronics unless you go the route Russ and them have with the LB7 ECM

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.

Still no ends?? I'll dig through the pile when it stops raining, and get another set headed that way. Figured it was just the Christmas package rush that was taking it so long.

Bens conversion harness or just an 03 lb7 harness

He asked me about a harness, I send everybody Bens way unless it's an in house job (I hate that sticky mess haha).

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Still no ends?? I'll dig through the pile when it stops raining, and get another set headed that way. Figured it was just the Christmas package rush that was taking it so long.

No sir. i figured as much too but they seem to be lost like a dryer eats socks :rofl:. damn usps sometimes. Thanks Russ!

95 z71

SUDDEN IMPACT
Aug 11, 2009
Cavan, Ontario
I converted my 01 a few years ago using RPMs method. Russ gave me a ton of help but I have a built motor with large turbo and 100 overs.
The truck was used as a sled puller with some road use. Mark at Danville got it to work well but it had some quirks that drove me nuts.
Last season I did BT's harness with complete lly electronics and am very happy with the way it works now.

Dkatubi06

Dec 30, 2015
Swapping every thing over from the 03 to the 02 should only take me a a day or two I did it to my brother in laws truck that went through a flood he bought a wrecked on and wanted everything swapped he asked me so I did it. I'm having a hell of a hard time finding just an lly body harness to send Ben. I figured the 03 harnesses and electronics would be a start then all I'd need is heads FICM lines and stick and lly injector plugs ( I can use the 03 injector harness right?)

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Swapping every thing over from the 03 to the 02 should only take me a a day or two I did it to my brother in laws truck that went through a flood he bought a wrecked on and wanted everything swapped he asked me so I did it. I'm having a hell of a hard time finding just an lly body harness to send Ben. I figured the 03 harnesses and electronics would be a start then all I'd need is heads FICM lines and stick and lly injector plugs ( I can use the 03 injector harness right?)

No, you need an LLY ECM/tcm harness and engine harness if you want to use the LLY ECM. No way around that unless you go the lb7 ECM way

Dkatubi06

Dec 30, 2015
No, you need an LLY ECM/tcm harness and engine harness if you want to use the LLY ECM. No way around that unless you go the lb7 ECM way

If I sick with the lb7 ecm/Tcm I'd still need too use and lly FICM orrrr should I stick with and lb7 ficm?

rfletes79

Mar 5, 2010
Galt, Ca 95632
Either ECM will need the respective FICM. If you use the LB7 ECM then you'll will use your LB7 engine harness with Lly injector plugs. OR A LLY engine harness (which already has the correct injector plugs).

If you use the LLY ECM you'll need a truck side Lly harness and Lly engine harness.

Dkatubi06

Dec 30, 2015
Guys these are all the questions I needed answered except one since I'm going to go the 03 route, how do I get my ECM flashed to for this work?

DIRTYLB77

Dec 1, 2015
can anyone link me to a post about doing the complete lb7 to lly swap in a 03, I need to know exactly what I need to buy and do