LB7 starting issues

03 D-max

Honorary "Tosser"
Apr 29, 2008
Lowville NY
My uncle recently bought a 2003 gmc lb7 it has around 70k on it and when starting it will crank for a very long time before starting and it is worse the warmer the truck is. He took it to the local dealership and they racked up a 3000 dollar bill replacing all the low pressure fuel lines and it didnt help a bit. Between them charging 3k and having it for over a month my uncle is done dealing with them. So tomorrow night i am going to stop by on my way home from work and try to figure this thing out. So my question is what all should i check? Rail pressure when cranking ect.. not really sure.
I was hoping you guys coould help me out a little
Thanks

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
yes, check rail pressure when cranking. Check your balance rates and make sure you dont have any glowplug issues.

But with the truck getting worse as it gets warm, it sounds like you have high return rates on the injectors.

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
ok is there anyway to check return rates?
thanks for the reply

Yes there are adapters from GM that you install and run each injectors return into a graduated cylinder. You can get the adapters off ebay. The valve covers must be removed and its quite a job to do.

Also another thing to check is make sure you dont have any external fuel leaks around the fuel filter and housing. Also whens the last time the fuel filter was changed?

03 D-max

Honorary "Tosser"
Apr 29, 2008
Lowville NY
Fuel filter has been changed twice in the last month just to rule that part out. I guess I will check what you guys said and if nothing solves it I guess I will burrow the equiptment to check return rates from work

03 D-max

Honorary "Tosser"
Apr 29, 2008
Lowville NY
the freaking thing is just out of warranty too so if it is injectors i guess it will be $192.00 a piece out of pocket:eek:

03 D-max

Honorary "Tosser"
Apr 29, 2008
Lowville NY
Yeah thats the price for GM's with my discount. I find it extremely wierd that some injectors go at 70k like this and my truck has 176k and still on original injectors and my truck sees 26k psi at WOT.
it baffles me.
I know if mine ever go it will be getting some LLY chit, i hate injectors under the valve covers. PITA