LB7 Pushrods

DuramxMan

Aug 10, 2016
AUBURN, GA
Has stock springs and running 3300 rpm, but may turn that up. Replacing pistons with 0.020 over diamond cast pistons with valve reliefs. May need to change springs also?

CHEZELTINE

Dec 16, 2013
BOISE, ID
My merchant's are holding up in my stock engine. Probably not the info you're looking for but that's all I have on pushrods haha.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Has stock springs and running 3300 rpm, but may turn that up. Replacing pistons with 0.020 over diamond cast pistons with valve reliefs. May need to change springs also?

again, depends on what RPM you want to turn, where you want the power band with turbo/s, what kind of head and cam setup and converter you want to match with.

if you are going base with stock springs or say, the light hamilton springs, the hamilton pushrods (thinnest ones) will be plenty.

Personally, i wouldnt just add the thickest pushrods and call it good. Thats more weight on the valve train thats not needed and wont help you in high rpm.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
For what it's worth, I'm running SoCal beehive valve springs, shift at 3600 RPM (with occasional blitzes to 4800+ RPM during burnouts), and I'm on stock LB7 pushrods.

The stock pushrods are designed to run the stock valves at ~4800 RPM during engine braking, and are actually pretty strong. I'd imagine you only bent yours during the engine failure.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I would be upgrading valve springs before I worried about push rods.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
I would be upgrading valve springs before I worried about push rods.
This^.

If you have to, merchant's are the best bang for your buck without getting heavier than needed. We used them at 16xxhp and ran down the track 5500 rpm. Big engine builders will recommend .145 wall pushrods for extreme app's but .083 served us well time after time.
Years ago, we had trouble with Hamilton's push rods. Bought his springs and pushrods, springs did well for us, still in an engine. But the pushrods were too short, to the point that the adjusters had to be wound way out to account for it. I didn't like the angle it produced, so we shelved them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk