LB7: lb7 fpr mod

ironmax

chock full of goodies
Jul 7, 2010
Col. Ohio
This is one from an old lbz regulator. Can I just swap parts into my new lb7 regulator. Bore and height are the same. Only other difference is the spring and the retainer. Anybody else ever tried this

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415241587873.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415241587873.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 70

ironmax

chock full of goodies
Jul 7, 2010
Col. Ohio
Lbz on the left lb7 on the right. That is a significant size difference.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415242681201.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415242681201.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 76

ironmax

chock full of goodies
Jul 7, 2010
Col. Ohio
Here are the springs
left is lbz right is lb7.
I'm not a spring expert, any insight would be helpful.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415245092630.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415245092630.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 35

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I don't know of anyone trying that ironmax... I would run the LBZ fuel delivery piston with the LB7 spring. The reg is not that hard to change, try it:thumb: Worse case is it won't deliver any fuel or the rail will max out. Even on the LBZ piston you can perform this mod, just slot the fat end of the triangle.

ironmax

chock full of goodies
Jul 7, 2010
Col. Ohio
But isn't lbz reg rated at 26 k and lb7 rated at 23. This is the only difference from what I've seen .I'm going to try the lbz guts in my lb7 fpr

Robby Avery

GM TECH @ FENDER GMC
Jul 31, 2008
Norman Park, Georgia
Not to derail but what causes the lb7 fpr to have a lopey/surging idle is this what causes it or is new fpr the only way to correct that problem I have a spare LBZ fpr laying around and will clean it up and swap in into my wife's truck if this is the case op sorry if I derail your the thread

ironmax

chock full of goodies
Jul 7, 2010
Col. Ohio
The tuning is how you make the 23-26K of rail... My modded LLY reg has all stock guts but makes 26.5K rail;)
I understand the tuning. So I guess what I'm trying to get at is, I'm putting a factory part back in. No need for grinding and hoping I smoothed everything out, or did I open it up enough, etc etc.... This is essentially the mod you described with out worry. That is how I'm looking at it.

ironmax

chock full of goodies
Jul 7, 2010
Col. Ohio
I don't know of anyone trying that ironmax... I would run the LBZ fuel delivery piston with the LB7 spring. The reg is not that hard to change, try it:thumb: Worse case is it won't deliver any fuel or the rail will max out. Even on the LBZ piston you can perform this mod, just slot the fat end of the triangle.
No problem getting to regulator at all for me

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415306925639.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415306925639.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 68

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I understand the tuning. So I guess what I'm trying to get at is, I'm putting a factory part back in. No need for grinding and hoping I smoothed everything out, or did I open it up enough, etc etc.... This is essentially the mod you described with out worry. That is how I'm looking at it.
Not sure I follow you... The mod is to open the fat end of the regulator up by grinding the slot wider (even the lbz), drilling out the end cap to the ID of the spring. Then drill the inlet and discharge ports larger on the suction pump... IIRC the suc pump is already bigger on the LBZ but you can still mod the regulator.

Not to derail but what causes the lb7 fpr to have a lopey/surging idle is this what causes it or is new fpr the only way to correct that problem I have a spare LBZ fpr laying around and will clean it up and swap in into my wife's truck if this is the case op sorry if I derail your the thread
Pretty sure it is the spring in the regulator and opening of the fuel regulator piston from T to triangle...

ironmax

chock full of goodies
Jul 7, 2010
Col. Ohio
If you swap the lbz reg into an lb7 you'll need to get some tuning done. I know voltages are different between the two. You could try switching out the parts, but I can't guarantee it as I haven't tried it.

dirtydmax

<---up shit creek
Sep 1, 2013
muskoka,Ont Canada
Any luck with your pics

Honestly I havnt even tried,just put it back together and am focusing on getting my built motor and twin cp3 home.wlll be here before noon tomorrow and than the fun begins,its been a long time in the making and im Like a kid on Christmas morning...wont be able to sleep :woott::dancenana:But I will try to post em

Robby Avery

GM TECH @ FENDER GMC
Jul 31, 2008
Norman Park, Georgia
Ironmax the LBZ fpr is something I've been wanting to do for awhile now Ive talked with numerous people about it and am aware that it will have to be rescaled to function properly I just didn't know what would cause the fpr to go bad but now I know and being I have one at work laying around I'll disassemble it clean it throughly and reassemble it and install it on my wife truck. So I understand this correctly what causes the fpr to give the lopey idle is wear and tear on the spring and barrel or what? I want to make sure I understand before i wSte my time on a faulty sensor only to have bought a new LBZ to start with to put on here lb7 as we speak her truck has the lopey surging idle and I've diagnosed it out to the fpr just trying to make sure I understand this mod will fixed a possible faulty sensor and that's all that causes the fpr to fail thanks again for all the help

dirtydmax

<---up shit creek
Sep 1, 2013
muskoka,Ont Canada
Here is a pict of the 2 holes that need to be opened up in the pump.i used a 9/64 bit.
picture.php

ironmax

chock full of goodies
Jul 7, 2010
Col. Ohio
Ironmax the LBZ fpr is something I've been wanting to do for awhile now Ive talked with numerous people about it and am aware that it will have to be rescaled to function properly I just didn't know what would cause the fpr to go bad but now I know and being I have one at work laying around I'll disassemble it clean it throughly and reassemble it and install it on my wife truck. So I understand this correctly what causes the fpr to give the lopey idle is wear and tear on the spring and barrel or what? I want to make sure I understand before i wSte my time on a faulty sensor only to have bought a new LBZ to start with to put on here lb7 as we speak her truck has the lopey surging idle and I've diagnosed it out to the fpr just trying to make sure I understand this mod will fixed a possible faulty sensor and that's all that causes the fpr to fail thanks again for all the help
Normally, that seems to be the problem with the fpr. Worn out and contamination from bad fuel. That's why you hear stories of guys running 2 stroke oil or a cleaner trying to get things moving again. But if it were me I would buy a new regulator. There not bad to replace, but going back in if it doesn't work sucks a big one.