LB7 drop in stock appearing turbos

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
The turbo in my BURB is getting pretty loose on me with 278k miles, so I'm looking for a replacement. The Burb is pretty much only used as a backup/workhorse now with diesel prices what they are, and I prefer to drive my 2 door 2WD Tahoe if given a choice. The only mods are a set of 45 over SAC injectors, an AFE stage 1 air filter(still uses the stock 01 tube), ported mouthpiece, and a 4"cat back style exhaust. I see many of these drop in replacement turbos ranging from 63-68MM(even seen a 72MM), which ones are holding up well, and are they that much of an improvement over a stock turbo? I was looking at going with a 64, but if they are not much better than say a ported stock, I may be able to pick up a used one off an 02 that only had 25k miles on it for fairly cheap money.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
The 63.5-64 from lds is a sweet stock replacement turbo. Great power and driveability.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I've had phenomenal luck out of Fleece, Danville, Dan's, and Titan. I have experienced my fair share of issues with LDS and Wold. I've only got second hand experience with RDS outside of one customer who got a charger from them when they "had a bad batch of seals and turbines".

I have quite a few friends who've tried IDP (Interstate Diesel Performance) with rave reviews so they're next up on my docket to try.

The 64mm units with slightly larger turbines are nice, much bigger than that and I'd rather have an S300 for towing as they spool almost the same. A PnP'd stocker is the fastest spooling charger you can install.

Reactions: THEFERMANATOR