Lb7 4l80

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
how would a guy go about putting a 4l80 behind a LB7? Controller wise? I’m sure it’s easier than I’m thinking but my brain isn’t fully functional this morning.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Run a manual transmission OS in the ECM and get a stand alone controller for the trans.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Run a manual transmission OS in the ECM and get a stand alone controller for the trans.
this, 100%. bypass the clutch safety or set it up with a micro switch or wiring to start only in park/neutral, then use something like a microsquirt to control the trans.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin

this, 100%. bypass the clutch safety or set it up with a micro switch or wiring to start only in park/neutral, then use something like a microsquirt to control the trans.

^These. I was going run mine via a PCS-2800 but there are quite a few other controllers out there that do a pretty darn good job.

rfletes79

Mar 5, 2010
Galt, Ca 95632
I currently run an LB7 with an 80 behind it in my Chevelle. Exactly as described above with a pcs2800. Biggest hurdle will be the converter, if you make any power and want to go fast. We’ve since put in a ton of R&D making it work and got it dialed. So far we’re at over 1500hp at the crank and it works.

We’ve done a ton of internal mods as well on the trans to get it to hold up. If you need anything lmk I can get you pointed in the right direction or set you up with specific parts.

Rick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: SmokeShow

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I currently run an LB7 with an 80 behind it in my Chevelle. Exactly as described above with a pcs2800. Biggest hurdle will be the converter, if you make any power and want to go fast. We’ve since put in a ton of R&D making it work and got it dialed. So far we’re at over 1500hp at the crank and it works.

We’ve done a ton of internal mods as well on the trans to get it to hold up. If you need anything lmk I can get you pointed in the right direction or set you up with specific parts.

Rick

I actually came to this thread this am to see what I would need to do to an 80 to live at 450hp max. Stock injector size, maybe drop in turbo. Just want it reliable.

rfletes79

Mar 5, 2010
Galt, Ca 95632
The torque is what’ll do you in. Guess you can always try a factory 80/85 out of a van, converter and trans combo. That would be best bet at a budget 80/85 that was designed to live behind a Dmax. If you can find this then I would roll with it bone stock at that power level.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
The torque is what’ll do you in. Guess you can always try a factory 80/85 out of a van, converter and trans combo. That would be best bet at a budget 80/85 that was designed to live behind a Dmax. If you can find this then I would roll with it bone stock at that power level.

That’s what I’m seeing. I don’t mind to spend a couple dollars on it. I don’t plan to beat on it but also don’t want to mess with it twice. I’ve got a core 80 that needs rebuilt anyway so I was planning on upgrades.

rfletes79

Mar 5, 2010
Galt, Ca 95632
Ok good. I would start with a good name brand billet input or aermet shaft. Ck and sonnax both make really good aermet inputs. Then a billet od planet, small or big od sprag (either one works). Billet clutch hub, 36 element direct drum sprag, factory main shaft is good. Then good clutches and steels throughout setup correctly.

Then the valve body. I would use a Jake’s. Either the auto shift D3 with or without a brake.

Then the converter. I’m partial to D&P, I know they work and I know what effort has been put into these over the past few years.

Reactions: SmokeShow and PIG