L5p

jbgarretson

Nov 22, 2016
Lima Ohio
Looks like GM finally got Borg Warner to design a new turbo with a separate Pedestal for easier removal like the 6.0 Navistar

Attachments

• L5p turbo.jpg
    L5p turbo.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 135
  • L5P Turbo2.gif
    L5P Turbo2.gif
    263.2 KB · Views: 161

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
It's too bad it doesn't look like a standard T3 or T4 flange that will accept an aftermarket turbo directly.

jbgarretson

Nov 22, 2016
Lima Ohio
Agreed ....I'm sure that was specifically the reason for not doing that. Aftermarket's will be happy to be able to design and sell a pedestal with a T-3/T-4 flange.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Agreed ....I'm sure that was specifically the reason for not doing that.

I highly doubt it was "to make it harder to put an aftermarket turbo on".

It was probably due to cost, packaging, or something else like that.

The ECM is locked down pretty tight, so GM pretty much ckblocked anyone of doing an aftermarket turbo anyways...its not like making the pedestal special was in direct effort to stop the aftermarket lol.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach

The ECM is locked down pretty tight, so GM pretty much ckblocked anyone of doing an aftermarket turbo anyways...its not like making the pedestal special was in direct effort to stop the aftermarket lol.

Agreed, they are going to do it with the computer...

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!

Ben, from what I have read, the ECM is the same as what is being used in the Colorado/Canyon diesels. Is that not correct, or are there changes not implemented in those configurations that makes the Silverado/Sierra ECM more secure?

jbgarretson

Nov 22, 2016
Lima Ohio
Obviously they are strict on ecm calibration editing due to EPA regulation. Why else would you make basically a standard pedestal but make it just slightly differently? Increase flow to the turbo?