L5P Banks and Edge dyno comparison

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
Thought some might find this interesting. This is a local shop in Minnesota that a friend of mine owns. The Edge is pretty impressive for being emission’s intact.

35A70871-406B-40DC-91EE-71444A2FFADD.jpg

Attachments

• 35A70871-406B-40DC-91EE-71444A2FFADD.jpg
    35A70871-406B-40DC-91EE-71444A2FFADD.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 419

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i wouldnt run one. Banks did a test with them and yes they make more power but man do they lack ALOT of safety features for the truck, boost control/monitoring and many other things.

this thread has alot of that as well as Banks video. yes it would seem "biased" since Gale looked it over but hes not the only one i know who has confirmed the same things as him.

https://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83812&highlight=pulsar

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Sorry Zak, didnt mean to be a debby downer about the Pulsar. i really looked into buying it for mine and then found this info out. I wanted a banks too but im already hitting the EGT limiters stock when puling heavy up the hills so i wont gain much towing. the Pulsar would worry me about killing a piston. Only thing left is custom tuning and that needs work so im just sticking with stock for now.

plus the fact you hurt one of these transmission and you are SOL unless you buy one from GM or hopefully find a good core. The Banks seems to be the best at keeping the trans alive but i dont believe anyone has the miles on one yet to really know.

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
Sorry Zak, didnt mean to be a debby downer about the Pulsar. i really looked into buying it for mine and then found this info out. I wanted a banks too but im already hitting the EGT limiters stock when puling heavy up the hills so i wont gain much towing. the Pulsar would worry me about killing a piston. Only thing left is custom tuning and that needs work so im just sticking with stock for now.

plus the fact you hurt one of these transmission and you are SOL unless you buy one from GM or hopefully find a good core. The Banks seems to be the best at keeping the trans alive but i dont believe anyone has the miles on one yet to really know.

No worries, just thought some would like to see real world comparison between stock, banks and edge. I have no plans on buying a new diesel anytime soon. I bought my 11’ LML new and still has low miles on it and see no need to replace.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
I'm with James, we did the Banks on our truck here and it is 100% stock with just the Derringer on it. Picked up 62hp at the tires and works nice. I think you would still see a nice gain from it James because it does increase the boost level 6psi over the stock setting which would benefit you towing with it. I may not agree with everything Uncle Gale puts out there but this product works as advertised. I also use the I-dash gauges in my daily driver and really like them. 16 gauges worth of data in 2 is nice!!!:thumb:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I'm with James, we did the Banks on our truck here and it is 100% stock with just the Derringer on it. Picked up 62hp at the tires and works nice. I think you would still see a nice gain from it James because it does increase the boost level 6psi over the stock setting which would benefit you towing with it. I may not agree with everything Uncle Gale puts out there but this product works as advertised. I also use the I-dash gauges in my daily driver and really like them. 16 gauges worth of data in 2 is nice!!!:thumb:

100% agree with ya mark.

Josh is suppose to be working on some tuning for these so ive been holding out for him. im not really in a rush. We head to Silverton CO for the 4th of july for over a week, i might pick up a derringer then and see how it runs stock vs that up the grades if josh hasnt gotten into my truck yet.

was that truck a 2020 or a 17-19 truck?

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
100% agree with ya mark.

Josh is suppose to be working on some tuning for these so ive been holding out for him. im not really in a rush. We head to Silverton CO for the 4th of july for over a week, i might pick up a derringer then and see how it runs stock vs that up the grades if josh hasnt gotten into my truck yet.

was that truck a 2020 or a 17-19 truck?

Larry's is a 17 truck. Next will be the intake from Bank's for it.

Tothemax

xgmtech
Oct 16, 2014
new york

i have had the banks setup on my 17 for about 20k out of the 30k on it with no problems so far. i keep it on the higher setting. only thing that i dont like is i cant use my cts2 monitor with it.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I have the banks derringer and intake on my 18. It did add a little pep. I don’t have the gauges so I have two and sport mode. Tow probably is more in sync with driving and towing needs. Sport really doesn’t seem as responsive as two at the touch if the throttle as tie does. I think you will be happy to add a little extra ponies for the dollar. It’s no real comparison to real tuning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

suavecito1177

Duranewb
Oct 27, 2014
Denver
Picked up a Deringer for my 18 l5p. Might throw it in tomorrow, I definitely want to get the igauge or monster for it tho. I always kept a close eye on egts in my lmm while towing my 5er. Anxious to see how the new truck does towing her through Eisenhower. Scheduled to go to Moab for the 4th.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Picked up a Deringer for my 18 l5p. Might throw it in tomorrow, I definitely want to get the igauge or monster for it tho. I always kept a close eye on egts in my lmm while towing my 5er. Anxious to see how the new truck does towing her through Eisenhower. Scheduled to go to Moab for the 4th.

Call your RV Park. Parents were suppose to stay in Moab half way through their travel up to norther Utah for fishing and the parks are shut down till the 5th per the counties orders from the health department it seems. They just called him today as they leave for there Saturday

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
You have to buy the gauge with it and I’m searching for a good pod that will look nice in the truck. If I find one, I’m ordering one. They just finally came out with the derringer for the 2020’s

beach_33

Feb 18, 2008
des moines, IA
Thanks. Not sure how I missed the video. They’ve been
Out for a little while now but I also haven’t seen a gauge pod that I think looks decent. If you come across one let me know

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Thanks. Not sure how I missed the video. They’ve been
Out for a little while now but I also haven’t seen a gauge pod that I think looks decent. If you come across one let me know

look up Block8head on FB. he custom makes pods and has them for 2020 and older trucks. they are hand made and has a 3 week lead time right now. I just ordered one for mine. Very clean looking setups

suavecito1177

Duranewb
Oct 27, 2014
Denver
Call your RV Park. Parents were suppose to stay in Moab half way through their travel up to norther Utah for fishing and the parks are shut down till the 5th per the counties orders from the health department it seems. They just called him today as they leave for there Saturday

Sorry for the mix up, when I say the 4th, I mean the 4th of July. I think we may be out of this lockdown by then.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Can't believe it took this long to dyno one of these setups,(I've stayed as far away from L5P's as I possibly could) but I did a comparison this morning to see what it did on a stock truck. Long story I had to fix the customers major screw up(He tried to install the Pulsar himself and broke the ecm connectors and covers, broke the cam pins off the Pulsar and bent pins over in the ecm) and I must say the Pulsar is impressive and the drivability with it is pretty freaking awesome. Stock untouched 17 L5P did 443hp at the tires and the banks did 502hp turned all the way up on same truck and this truck did 568hp with the Pulsar turned all the way up. Never drove them when they first came out but if I was to buy one of these trucks, I would buy this now over the Banks. It is controlled threw the steering wheel and does have safety features built into it now and it just flat out gets it for a completely stock truck with this module bolted on. After doing the relearn for the trany it will scratch the tires into 3rd gear at 53mph and it is instant power, like damn near zero lag with it. It is so smooth in its delivery of power. For an intact truck it is awesome, the instant torque is stupid to say the least and almost makes me want to waste a ton of money on one of these trucks, almost lol. And compared to some of the not intact trucks that I have driven... This was way better to drive in every aspect except for sound lol.

EDGE Pulsar vs Banks.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Kunz111 and N2BRK