Kubota diesel compression test today.

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
During work i got a call asking to do a comp. test for my uncle on a little 3 cylinder Kubota engine. I said i would....So i went down and pulled the 3 glow plugs out....Pulled the fuel line off the injection pump. This engine took the same glow plug tester as the duramax did. Added some never seize and went to town on the test... Number one was about 215....I thought to my self. Man thats alittle low for my liking when this thing is Naturally aspirated. I would think its gotta have more compression than that....Well i guested right:rofl:... Cylinder number 2 was 520:eek: And then Cylinder three was 120:eek::eek: I did the hole 5 minute test again Just to be sure. Needless to say i think the engine needs a rebuild....Smptoms were as told to me: It constantly makes like a....well i guess like a ....Fog coming out of the blow by tube all the time....Engine had about 2500 hours on it. And had little actual oil blow by but had alot of steam.....Uncle and cousin said it has most likely sucked a lot of dirt in its day...So im blameing the dirt on the cylinders being scored or worse.....Just thought you guys might like to hear about what i did today:D

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
As a side note the harbor freight tester that i have have valves like you would fine in a valve stem on a car or truck tire in the end of the fake glow plug...How do i know you ask? Well i fubar'd one up while doing the test and had to switch the fubar'd one for another in the kit

Last edited:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Sounds like a more productive day than mine was. I went out at 8am to replace a fuel pick up tube in the fuel tank for a sand conveyor belt, and watch 500tonne'ss of sand get pumped downhole. Got home at 8pm-no sand pumped but p/u tube installed. Pretty long boring day!!